Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand Truck and Dolly?

Options
  • 08-05-2007 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I need one of these:
    POW50167.jpg

and one of these:
    dolly.gif

I've seen prices online range from $30 to $300:eek: I wont need them much at all so the lower end would suit fine. Not too sure where I'd get one though, have tried a few builders merchants but no luck.

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've seen these advertised in office stationery catalogs - the likes of Viking Direct and others that don't sping to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Handtruck:
    I have seen them in markets they are usually €35.
    How about a tool supplier like Scotts for tools? They usually have them.
    Dolly: never seen one like that have you thought about getting 4 castors and screwing them to a couple of pieces of strong 1" plywood stuck together?
    how strong does it need to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That could be an idea. It has to be "piano strong" (need it for a piano):o

Where would I get the castors then?

I'll check out a few tool suppliers anyway.

Had a look at viking crosstownk, no luck!

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

ted johnsons on the monread road in naas -one stop shop for all ur heavy lifting needs

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

www.slingsby.ie Mail order.

The sack truck you should be able to hire from any tool hire company for a few quid.

The dolly should be easy to make up as CJ says if you can get your hands on some castors, maybe B&Q would have some to suit.

HSS hire shops have a section called "lift and shift". So if you are near one of their depots they should be able to sort you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I used to move furniture in Toronto and those two badboys were my best buddies.. If it's possible get onto a local removals and try and get a couple of second-handies or ask where to get one cheap..
    Good luck with the piano, hope it aint a Grand.. You'd want a proper Piano dolly 4 them...
    Oh yeah make sure the dolly has a strap with it, otherwise it is impossible to control..

Thanks for the tip on the strap, never thought of that. Saw a hand truck today, €70:(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

http://www.arro.ie/product_catalog/product_profile/Hand_Truck_%8024.95,21,436.html
    ^^Hand truck

The dolly might be harder to buy, though I notice many grocery shops tend to have these with deliveries. They've caged sides which may be removed. You could ask your local shop maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I saw a hand truck, just sitting on the side of the road in Tempelogue village today. It looked very lonely, but it's probably gone by now.;)

invest4deepvalue.com

€25! That's more like it:D

The one in that pic looks a lot like other ones I saw online for much more than €25 though. I must ring up first and make sure it's not €250 or anything:)

Thanks for the link!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

One of the lads at work got a few of them last week from local Arro, though I think he said they were €35. Though even €35 is good for a truck, and they are quite sturdy (more so than the dire ones sold by Lidl).

Only flaw is if you're carting a washing machine or something of that size, it's hard to lean over the high handles to pull the machine towards you. But you'll be hard pressed to find better at the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

If you can, get a hand truck with metal flaps in front of the wheels (like mud guards), as otherwise the load can rub against the wheels having a braking effect.

Also knowing that you are all about customer service Cormie, get some pipe insulation, costs pennies from any plumbers suppliers, and tape it onto the hand truck, that way you reduce the risk of damaging your customers product! Especially if you are moving unwrapped furniture (or pianos!)

invest4deepvalue.com

Good info there:) Thanks, will probably drop by to Arrow tomorrow so:)

Was in a Draper tools shop today and they had Draper expert hand trucks with a rating of 300kg the truck had wheels on the back so that you could load veavy items tip it back and not have to worry about the load falling back on top of you.

CJhaughey wrote:
    Was in a Draper tools shop today and they had Draper expert hand trucks with a rating of 300kg the truck had wheels on the back so that you could load veavy items tip it back and not have to worry about the load falling back on top of you.

Any idea how much they were?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Got 6 of them for 120 each from http://www.grange-handling.ie/ for work so not my money, lads seem to like them better than the cheap ****e we used to have.

Also sell Dollies but not cheap.

kdjac

Cormie
    I think they were~150 or so

Did a DIY job today, got 4 castors, a bit of wood, screws and a screwdriver for 35 quid, would have been less than E24 for the castors alone but I was out and about and needed one asap so that was the only solution. Turned out the piano had wheels in the end:rolleyes:

Saw a few hand trucks today too from 40-70 euro, homebase, Atlantic homecare and one or two other places.

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

those draper trolleys with the 4 wheels are very good. i even helped my dad to move a tractor cement mixer (weighs well over 300KG) on it so it will take a good bit of work. couldn't image for 25 euro(lidl) that you are getting much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Remembering someone telling me that theres a place on Caple street that sells Hand Trucks...Anybody have any Info?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

sellin hand truck in aldi today - €25

Advertisement