Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing eircom broadband access point

Options
  • 08-05-2007 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

hi,
    how easy is it to change the initial position eircom put my broadband line, you know where you connect the cable? would it cost me loads to get their engineer to sort it or can i do it myself?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Connect all the cables in the right places, and you're laughing. Its a do-nothing box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Connect all the cables in the right places, and you're laughing. Its a do-nothing box.

so what is the difference between the box i have in the study, with extra slot for the broadband, and the one in my hall with the telephone connected? I'm sorry if this is a dead study question:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

tinner777 wrote:
    so what is the difference between the box i have in the study, with extra slot for the broadband, and the one in my hall with the telephone connected? I'm sorry if this is a dead study question:(

Could you please explain exactly what your set up is including the make of whatever 'boxes' you have? Boards readers are helpful but they are not mindreaders!

dub45 wrote:
    Could you please explain exactly what your set up is including the make of whatever 'boxes' you have? Boards readers are helpful but they are not mindreaders!
    i have a white box from eircom with two slots in it, one for a phone the other for the broadband. I have a netopia wireless router connected to it. i have been trying to improve the wireless range so i can use the laptop upstairs. tried a range booster which cost €85 today which made no difference. The only way i can get a signal is by putting the router in the hall, hence the question, as i don't want to have wires running round everywhere.
    hope that clears it up a bit :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

tinner777 wrote:
    i have a white box from eircom with two slots in it, one for a phone the other for the broadband. I have a netopia wireless router connected to it. i have been trying to improve the wireless range so i can use the laptop upstairs. tried a range booster which cost €85 today which made no difference. The only way i can get a signal is by putting the router in the hall, hence the question, as i don't want to have wires running round everywhere.
    hope that clears it up a bit :)

When you say a white box do you mean a filter with two outlets which goes into your basic phone connection?

You can only put the netopia in the hall if there is a phone socket there.

What is the make and number of the rangebooster

What wireless have you got on your laptop? Is the laptop a recent model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dub45 wrote:
    When you say a white box do you mean a filter with two outlets which goes into your basic phone connection?
    I think I know he/she means Dub.
    When an engineer call out is required for the initial BB setup (ie problem with the line or whatever), he replaces the old Eircom master socket with a double master socket. 1 side is filtered, where you plug in your phone and the other side is unfiltered where you plug in the modem. Any extensions are wired into the filtered side.
    It's handy in that you don't have to bother with filters in the extensions but it also means that the BB modem will only work in the new double socket.

kaizersoze wrote:
    I think I know he/she means Dub.
    When an engineer call out is required for the initial BB setup (ie problem with the line or whatever), he replaces the old Eircom master socket with a double master socket. 1 side is filtered, where you plug in your phone and the other side is unfiltered where you plug in the modem. Any extensions are wired into the filtered side.
    It's handy in that you don't have to bother with filters in the extensions but it also means that the BB modem will only work in the new double socket.
    nice one, that's exactly what i mean, i'm a he by the way,;)

Advertisement