Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hdd not working.

Options
  • 08-05-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

First off i dont know if this is the wrong forum , but this is an upgrade so maybe i'm in the right place. :)

ok I got an oem 500GB samsung off of komplett about a month ago. I only just got around to trying it out today. theres just one slight problem. My pc wont detect it.when i put it in this is the message I get.

"Via Technologies, Inc. VIA VT 8237 serial ATA Raid Bios setting utility V?
    Copyright (C) Via technologies Inc. All rights researved.

Scan devices , Please wait...
    Press <TAB> key into user window!

Hardware initiate failed, PLease check device!!!
    The Bios does not be installed. Press<g> to continue."

I then popped the HDD into another pc , where the mobo detected it fine ,although it was calling it an SCSI disk. Now unless SCSI disks have started using SATA conncetions I am quite sure that this is a SATA2 disk. Also on that pc once I loaded into windows the first thing I did was go to my computer to check if the HDD showed up. Of course it didnt. I then went to device manager where the disk was reported as working properly and once again it was being described as a SCSI disk.

Anyone know whats going on??? can you please help me out. regards
    chris.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

I then popped the HDD into another pc , where the mobo detected it fine ,although it was calling it an SCSI disk. Now unless SCSI disks have started using SATA conncetions I am quite sure that this is a SATA2 disk. Also on that pc once I loaded into windows the first thing I did was go to my computer to check if the HDD showed up. Of course it didnt. I then went to device manager where the disk was reported as working properly and once again it was being described as a SCSI disk.

Anyone know whats going on??? can you please help me out. regards
    chris.

When you put a new harddrive into a PC, you need to format,
    in control panel-> admin tools-> computer managment -> disk managment.

It will not show up under My Computer until you do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

O right cool. But you see I want the HDD to be the master disk with the os on it in the first rig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Have you disconnected the other hdd first?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

uberpixie wrote:
    When you put a new harddrive into a PC, you need to format,
    in control panel-> admin tools-> computer managment -> disk managment.

It will not show up under My Computer until you do this.

Assuming that this is his primary disk he wont have windows. You need to boot up your pc and go into your bios utility, usually f1 or del key on your keyboard. From there you need to change your boot order to boot from cdrom or dvdrom first. Save what you have done and exit the bios put your windows disk in and the installation process should begin.

Let us know how you progress...

Anti on the first pc the new hdd is the only one there.

Yes hal that is correct I do not have windows on that pc.

But the Hdd is not recognised in the Bios.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Okay, then that means you have connected the hdd to the wrong port, and the raid controller is trying to pick up multiple hdds. Try a different port. If its in sata1 try sata4/5/6

Reboot retry.

**edit**

Or 2/3/4 if you dont have /4/5/6

Ok I found ok that teh Hdd gets detected once I set the date/time in the bios and everything seems rosy.............But there is another problem.......everytime I turn the pc off the bios looses its date/time. Does anyone know what might beb causeing this?? I have already tried using a different battery, but that doesnt seem to help.

All help is much appreciated.
    cheers
    chris

ok it would now appear that the bios is retaining its time/date info. It seems that the bios only detects the HDD after I clear the cmos and set up the time and date. once the pc is turned off and on again the bios will not detect the HDD. Are there any drivers or anything that I might need??

chris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Did you see if your board has a bios update?

I think it does, im not shure. However I have no floppy discs and they are scarce nowadays. Also since the Hdd is detected when teh pc restarst without powering down( eg. once settings in Bios are changed ) that ,to me at least, would suggest it is not a bio problem as it does detect teh Hdd even if it is onl in a very particular situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Alot of manufactors now include a utility for flashing your bios while in windows, I know award do anyway. Check your setup disks you got with your motherboard for it or download the utility from their website. Dont give up hope lol. ;)

I got this Mobo second hand , so I have no setup disk. :( . You'd think you'd be able to download an Iso for the disk but alas I have not been able to find one

:(.

maybe i'm just not looking in the right place or something.

post the make and model and let us have a look for you ;) and you might be able to flash it with a usb stick

Cheers that would be great.

its an

Asus A8V-X

your board doesnt have a SATA2 controller, so just to be sure SATA2 drives should work fine with the SATA1 controller on your mboard.
    Try d/loading a hard drive boot disk on Samungs site, and maybe you would be able to disable SATA2 on the drive.

Here is your BIOS info:

Bios
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Correct procedure for updating your BIOS
    http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?root=198&SLaguage=en-us

yes I have been to both off those pages and neither are applicable to my board really . I have the HDD set to SATA I with the jumpers on it already. But I will look into that samsing idea. :)

Ok i just checked the idskmanager out and that is only for pc's that have trouble handleing high capacity drives. I dont think thats my problem.

latest bios for your m/board is

A8V-X BIOS 0703
    Fix system sometimes may hang up during POST if certain kinds of SATAII HDDs *4 connected at the same time

and the manual for your board

http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8V-X/e2210_a8v-x.pdf

*edit* just flicking through the manual and made a mistake your board does support SATA2 so maybe you nedd to look at your BIOS settings

Sorry Auvers, thats for the socket 939 varient. I have the 754 varient. Its stupid that they have the same name for 2 products!!

Ok I have another update

I am just sfter finding out that the boot priority is not saved either and is lost once teh system is powered down. do you think that teh cmos ram might be fried? have you guys ever heard of that happening before?

• Advertisement

Sorry for so many consecutive posts I just thought I would let you guys know that I have sorted the problem. I flashed the bios and everything is ok now.:)

Advertisement