Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Antenna Boosters

• 08-05-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Has anybody any experience with Antenna boosters or getting better antenna's, I have a netopia 2247 wireless router, I have a computer a bit away and am getting a weak signal, it as to go through about 2 walls, so the weak signal is understandable, whats a good deal for a better antenna and do they work well?

Any help would be appreciated,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

best option for yourself is get a g+ mimo router and card to same spec... you shouldn need a antenna....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

hi

Set up a system for my mother a while back
    normal wireless linksys router
    teh PC on the other end was getting a very low signal or none at all (about 3 walls and 25 meters) so bought this (not from komplett, but the same)

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=330182

It was expensive, but it Does work...just a idea

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Or something like this which will extend the signal range to more where you want it to reach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

before you go spendin money try one of these

i have a philips streaming media jobbie down in the kitchen and it couldnt get a signal from the router in the spare room upstairs, but i made a windsurfer range extended and its perfect now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

DIY Expert?
    http://www.oreillynet.com/etel/blog/2001/07/antenna_on_the_cheap_er_chip.html

Alos have heard a pringles can stuffed with tinfoil and placed on top of current antenna works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

kmick wrote:
    DIY Expert?
    http://www.oreillynet.com/etel/blog/2001/07/antenna_on_the_cheap_er_chip.html

Alos have heard a pringles can stuffed with tinfoil and placed on top of current antenna works.

that sounds like rubbish and the cantenna is highly directional as well as requiring you to take stuff apart. The reflector sounds like it might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

SoundWave

Your way worked a treat, It increased the signal from weak to normal, and gave it a max strength of 36 megs,

Cheers for the link,:)

I have placed it on both antennas on the router and am now getting a "very good" signal, I went from 2 bars strength to 4,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

i want to boost the signal to a pc which has inbuilt wireless
    can i put an aerial on to the pc?
    how does it attach to the pc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Probably a better idea to try to re-locate your wireless router.

You don't say whether it's a laptop or not, if it's a desktop with a wireless card in the back then it will most likely have a removeable antenna, either way it may be worth simply trying to move the PC first - e.g. if the back of the PC is changed to point at the router direction, it may increase the connection quality enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

peanut,
    thanks for the reply-its a desktop with built in wireless- i cannot see any way of attaching an aerial to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

- try a USB wireless adapter with a flex on it.
    advantages: you may be able to position it in a better location
    disadvantages: the radios/inbuilt antennas in these are often quite crap

Also you can get some USB wireless devices with little dishes attached to them. They are a bit gimmicky but may be a bit better than a bog standard usb wireless stick.

- buy a pci wireless card with detachable antenna - you could order a small magmount antenna also or some other small indoor antenna, but it may be extra hassle. There were some PCI cards in the past that came with a little antenna on a flex (think it was d-link) you may still be able to get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

SoundWave wrote:
    before you go spendin money try one of these

i have a philips streaming media jobbie down in the kitchen and it couldnt get a signal from the router in the spare room upstairs, but i made a windsurfer range extended and its perfect now.

wohoo up from 1 bar to a solid 2 even 3 sometimes, these things actually work :D even my half arsed attempt at making them, thanks for the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Worked for me too, nice one. Boosted my ps3's signal from 40% to 6o%. It means I can actually play it online now. Thanks for the link.

Advertisement