Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newish to this

Options
  • 08-05-2007 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey i'm starting to get into surfing now. I really like it and i'm thinking of buying a surfboard etc...

Now i'm young and can easily get on the board..(i.e. I'v surfed before and can do it alright..i think :p)

I'm just wondering can someone point me in the right direction.. I would like a surfboard but i really wouldn't like a huge one, like i think i could manage a smaller one. Can you post linkes or something or anything that will help..thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

There is lots of "what board to buy" threads below Cabla. Try the thread titled "what minimal to buy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

S'up cabla. Although I am 100% against bic boards, there is a really good resource on their website where you enter your weight and ability level and they give you the size board for you. Just go 1 or 2 sizes down if you think their estimate is too big.

http://www.bicsportsurfboards.com/tips/index.php?bssid=3b4e6gctjcs4esq2f41ibmrck4

or

http://www.bicsportsurfboards.com/
    and click surf tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

hi cabla please answer these and i can try help you,

what is your hieght and wieght?

What surfboard are you currently on? Size and is it a foamy, epoxy, plastic or fibreglass?

What sort of surf are you generally in? under 2ft? Under 4ft? or bigger?

Are you catching the waves easy?

Are you turning both directions with ease?

How is your popup? Are you going straight to your feet? have you a stable stance on your current board?

How often do you plan to surf?

If given a fibreglass board could you look after it and not bust it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

neon_glows wrote:
    hi cabla please answer these and i can try help you,

what is your hieght and wieght? 5ft 11 66kg

What surfboard are you currently on? Size and is it a foamy, epoxy, plastic or fibreglass? don't have one

What sort of surf are you generally in? under 2ft? Under 4ft? or bigger? about 4

Are you catching the waves easy? not too bad

Are you turning both directions with ease? not too bad

How is your popup? Are you going straight to your feet? have you a stable stance on your current board? stable

How often do you plan to surf? as much as possible

If given a fibreglass board could you look after it and not bust it up
    ill try

Shane thats cool thanks...i put in intermediate..it recomended a 6 ft 7..what you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Like neon_glows says, there are a couple of factors that will influence it. I'd say the most important are your weight and the area you are gonna surf.
    You would have to be quite small to start on a 6'7

Any recommendation then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Intermediate to me would be someone who has been surfing fairly regularly (at least once a week) for at around two years. You'd be comfortable paddling out at pretty much any break, be it beach point or reef (bar the really heavy ones) up to around head high to head and a half. You'd have a confident consistent pop-up and a good grasp of the three main maneouvres: bottom turn, top turn and cutback.

If you don't really fit into that category then you'd be much better off getting a mini-mal in the 7'3-7'9 region. If you went for the 6'7 you'd probably only be frustrated from not catching enough waves. I'd say get yourself a mini-mal until your very comfortable in the water.

Enygma wrote:
    Intermediate to me would be someone who has been surfing fairly regularly (at least once a week) for at around two years. You'd be comfortable paddling out at pretty much any break, be it beach point or reef (bar the really heavy ones) up to around head high to head and a half. You'd have a confident consistent pop-up and a good grasp of the three main maneouvres: bottom turn, top turn and cutback.

If you don't really fit into that category then you'd be much better off getting a mini-mal in the 7'3-7'9 region. If you went for the 6'7 you'd probably only be frustrated from not catching enough waves. I'd say get yourself a mini-mal until your very comfortable in the water.

Thanks man thats good advise? So like i mean eventually i can go to a 6 ft 7..just not yet...am i not too tall as someone else said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Ya eventually you can ride whatever you want, you're not too tall at all. One of the best surfers I know is 6'4 and he rides a 6'2.
    You do need to put in the groundwork on a bigger board for a few years though

• Advertisement

Ah i see thanks for that? Any recomendation on boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭irishsurfer

In the shapers bay section of irishsurfer.com there is a fairly comprehensive article for people starting up and looking for beginner / transition boards.

That said BicSport is a great learner transition board and it retains its retail value. There are always a few for sale at teh buy and sell section of irishsurfer.com

Advertisement