Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in Sligo

• 08-05-2007 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I'm not expecting to find a summer job off the boards, but do people know if there are many going these days? My ma has been checking the papers for me the last while but says nothing has shown up and the shopping centre still isn't open so dunno if I can get in there. I don't want to work in a supermarket (if it was that or nothing I guess I'd take it) so what's left?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It is hell trying to find work insligo, took me two months last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Your best bet is to check the Champion paper (out this evening), the Weekender never has any jobs. Hand out CVs anyway and ring up a few days later to follow up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

My mistake but those jobs are from 3 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ah scutterbuckets. Looks like I'll either be unemployed or trying desperately to get back into the factory again. Doubt I'll get it this year though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭anon1

What skills have you got?
    what are you studying?

Skills? Um, I can type at 60wpm, I've worked in a variety of jobs before, clerical work, register operator/general supermarket lackey, cnc operator, I'm in the middle of my final year exams in English and History which I expect to get a high 2.1 in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brianwilliams82

Toucan are always looking for staff. Terrible place to work, but it'll earn you some cash.

What's so bad about it? Where are they based?

Toucan are in the Finisklin business park. I think the work is commission based. They are always looking for staff which isn't a good sign imo

• Advertisement

Well ideally I'm only looking for work for the summer and as long as there isn't a terrible work environment or bullying managers I wouldn't be too bothered...what would the work involve?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There are different divisions. You can do the phones, sweet deal.

Did you work there? what is it like

I didn't work there, a friend did. My sister may have too, not sure. Don't know much about them really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

There's SFA jobs in Sligo. Sligo doesn't have the huge amount of visitors that places like Galway does, so the old reliable hospitality industry is not really an option. Factories take on part time staff sometimes, but often let them go again with little or no warning, and besides many people will have left in C.V.s months ago. Toucan are always looking for people (bad sign) but you need a special sort of mentality for that sort of work.So in other words, I really can't help either :confused:

Tis grand anyways I just wanted to have an idea of what to expect when I get home. Unemployment apparently.

You could still try all the hotels etc. you may get lucky!

Oh I will be looking, no doubt. Just wanted to get an idea of the present state of play so to speak. I'm no stranger to the auld run around town with the cv's. I know that there were jobs going in Keohane's and the outdoor pursuits shop a while ago, but they were permanent afaik and I couldn't start til next week at the earliest so didn't apply. Fingers crossed I might start driving this summer (have the provisional, just very little experience) so that will make it a bit easier to work awkward hours at least.

Oh I will be looking, no doubt. Just wanted to get an idea of the present state of play so to speak. I'm no stranger to the auld run around town with the cv's. I know that there were jobs going in Keohane's and the outdoor pursuits shop a while ago, but they were permanent afaik and I couldn't start til next week at the earliest so didn't apply. Fingers crossed I might start driving this summer (have the provisional, just very little experience) so that will make it a bit easier to work awkward hours at least.

Don't worry about the driving Brian. When you have to do it you will!
    Up until April 05 I had the provisional and had maybe one lesson a year before!
    Took a new job (current one) which involved travelling all over the north west and beyond!
    Very intimidating at the start but I managed!
    Bought the car
    Had a lesson on a Monday
    Nothing Tuesday
    Drove to Sligo Airport on Wednesday and back that evening
    Following Monday drove to Monaghan from Sligo on my own!

Had to do it! Best thing I ever done!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Gillie wrote:
    Don't worry about the driving Brian. When you have to do it you will!
    Up until April 05 I had the provisional and had maybe one lesson a year before!
    Took a new job (current one) which involved travelling all over the north west and beyond!
    Very intimidating at the start but I managed!
    Bought the car
    Had a lesson on a Monday
    Nothing Tuesday
    Drove to Sligo Airport on Wednesday and back that evening
    Following Monday drove to Monaghan from Sligo on my own!

Had to do it! Best thing I ever done!:)

Ah sure why would ye be wantin' to go learnin' to drive properly. It's not as if you could kill anyone.

• Advertisement

sesswhat wrote:
    Ah sure why would ye be wantin' to go learnin' to drive properly. It's not as if you could kill anyone.

But of course your right my friend!:rolleyes:
    Naturally I hadn't a clue so I just said feck it and drove on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

Toucan are always looking for staff. Terrible place to work, but it'll earn you some cash.

PLEASE do not work for this place - I worked there last summer and it was one of the worst jobs I've ever had. I kept on getting called into the office and I'm not a troublemaker!!
    Breaks are counted by the second - I would be back late 30 seconds and they would be down on me. Every single thing you do is monitored.
    It's awful - yuck yuck, the thought of the place makes me sick!

Cinnamon,
    My sister is interested in this company for the Summer.
    What is the work like, Is it dealing with customers? Do they take on students

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

A guy I know works there, hassling British people for money. "It's a job!" was his cryptic response when I asked what it was like.

Well if you don't have to worry about losing digits in heavy duty lathes or cutting yourself on swarf every day then it might not be so bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

Madge wrote:
    Cinnamon,
    Do they take on students
    They will take on ANYBODY - hence their ad in the Sligo Champion / Weekender every single week!
    It is awful - I'm sorry, I cannot recommend the place.

Advertisement