Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about my cat

Options
  • 09-05-2007 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

hello all, first post here!

a good few years ago a little cat appeared in our back garden and me being a kid insisted we give the kitty some milk. And this little cat then adopted us as his new family.

We assumed he had at some point suffered cruelty because he was terrified of us when he first appeared, even 11 years later he runs a mile at the sweeping brush, no ones allowed pick him up but me and he wont come near any strange men in the house.

We love our Moozie, he's part of the family but he's getting on in years now and is slowing down, and getting thinner. We've never brought him to a vet because the trauma of bringing him anywhere would probably give him a heart attack, he is your classic scaredy cat. But Im still concerned about him being ok, I would hate to think he might be in pain. He's beginning to slip slightly on the tiles and wanders around quite slowly.
    Anyone know anything about elderly cats that could help me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

My aunt's cat is eighteen and is still in spry shape. Get yours checked out, perhaps it's something that can be helped with medication (etc). No doubt your cat won't appreciate the trip to the vet, just ensure that said trip is buffered on either side by lots of quiet TLC.

My own cat is young, and is a devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Get him checked out by a vet. My own cat past away in march he lived a good long life though. In his last few months he lost his appetite and some weight, it wasnt long after that he was diagnosed with felv. Still miss the little guy. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Get the cat checked out as mentioned, only way you can find out. I'm sure you don't want him to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Bring him to a vet. After 11 years and pretty sure he could do with a worm dose and a mini check up.
    He mightn't like too much contact and handling, but it is for his own good at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Villaricos, I had a feral cat in the back garden, and over a period of time tamed her. She had two kittens a few weeks ago (one survived) and brought her to the vets to fix an post-birth infection and to be speyed.

She's in no way tame, except with me (and even then...) but putting her in the cat-box, and transporting her in the car - she pretty much resigned herself to the experience. Even being propped on the vet's counter and being examined - pretty amazing that she let him do it, but stayed wide-eyed yet calm.

Then she had to spend two weeks caged in the house (with kitten), wearing a lampshade on her neck. Surprising that it proved to be no problem to her (even when it came to her cleaning the lampshade after eating food LOL )

It'll probably hurt you more than your cat to cage him and bring him, but it's for the best :) Would hate to see your cat go downhill just for want of some antibiotics or deworming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Just get the vet to check him out OP. 11 isn't so old, I'm sure he has a good innings to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Yeah can only echo the chorus here - a vet trip seems in order. Cats can deterioate real fast too, so I would make that trip sooner rather than later. For your own peace of mind if nothing else. I had a cat like this who made any trip to the vet seem like cruelty to animals personified :-) - I felt so bad for inflicting this on him. It is hard to say how cats will react to this, he may just be resigned to his fate once he realises he cannot escape. Otherwise you'll have to put up with the caterwauling, just make sure the carrier is cat-escape proof. The cheapy Argos one isn't - one of my cat can open that in 3 seconds flat, I always secure it with additional bungee cords :-) - although she usually waits just till we are back home and opens it just to show she can still do it :-) - and have never caught her on how exactly she does it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Check out this page. It tells you what to expect as you cat ages and how to ensure he's as happy as possible!
    http://www.messybeast.com/Oldcat.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Judge2112

A thorough blood test will give some indications as to his/her health. Consider getting one.

Good luck and hope he gets better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Spliffany692000

I had a dear family cat and showed simular symtoms as yours...falling over and not being able to walk properly. She had a heart tumour...if you can bring him to the vet to make sure and the kindest thing to do is put him to rest...Im sorry but Im talking from experience! Hope its not a heart tumour but do prepare yourself x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

All animals even tame ones fear the vet. It can even be a bit of an ordeal even for the owner but its for the best. Get it checked out. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

thanks guys for the advice, I guess I needed to hear people tell me to take Moo to a vet. I hate to think of his reaction but sure if all cats hate it then I guess it has to be done, cruel to be kind in a way.
    We always reckoned putting him in a cat box would scare him so much it would give him a heart attack or something. So silly but people are silly over pets right?

thanks for the advice everyone, I'll get him checked out

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

morgana wrote:
    just make sure the carrier is cat-escape proof. The cheapy Argos one isn't - one of my cat can open that in 3 seconds flat
    Awwwww. Video it and put it on youtube.

Also, if you put the cat into a box, put it somewhere where it can see you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

sorry to drag this topic up again but I was talking to my parents and they still dont want to bring Moo to a vet, they keep saying it would traumatise him. I explained that I was worried about him but they wouldnt budge..what do I do? I love my cat, I just wanna make sure he's healthy and happy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

You could bring a vet to Moo, some vets do call outs or do you have mobile vets in Dublin? :) Moo may feel safe in his own home.

Nicola/hounds of love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

Villaricos wrote:
    sorry to drag this topic up again but I was talking to my parents and they still dont want to bring Moo to a vet, they keep saying it would traumatise him. I explained that I was worried about him but they wouldnt budge..what do I do? I love my cat, I just wanna make sure he's healthy and happy :(

PLease tell your parents that it will traumatise the cat more being outside and extemly ill.Every cat hates the vet-he'll get over it.He won't get over any desease that needs veterinarian attention-he would die of it.Ultimate trauma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I hate going to the hospital. That said, my fear wouldn't be worth ignoring, say, a serious or terminal illness. ;)

A cat will get over the trauma of the visit a lot quicker than an untreated illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I have two cats just like yours, they're tame to me and my family but to everyone else they're wild. They've both been to the vet and they were fine!!! As long as you stay calm and talk to them in a quiet voice, soon enough they'll see they're safe. It's far kinder to bring them to the vet than leave them unwell. 11 isn't that old, my cat was 11 and was as fit as a fiddle, she only died because some cúnt let his dog run around off its lead, it ran into my garden and shattered my cat's hip and leg. Cats deteriorate very quickly, she died from septecaemia, on Friday she was walking around, doing great, looked like she was gonna be fine, and she died Monday morning. So bring her to the vet sooner rather than later, so whatever it is doesn't get a chance to get worse or get complications.

Advertisement