Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2MB Irish Broadband slow :@

Options
  • 09-05-2007 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

:mad: Hey Guys,
    OK I just got IBB's 2mb DSL bband , I had Eircoms 2mb package. The reason I switched was because there is no caps on IBBs. Anyway, 2mb download translates to 256kbps maximum , Fine but i NEVER get 256 kbps download with my broadband , IBB or Eircoms , Only ever 200kbps maximum :mad: Can someone please explain why this is happenning :( Like 56kbps is a big knock off , And some how I dont think it is the contention that is taking it away ( N00bs : Other people on bband in my area using the same 2mb) cos it doesent matter what time of day , 200kbps is my max download, Somehow i think they are capping it at 200kbps or something :mad: And as far as i know im not far away from the exchange ..........

PLease help ,

Thanks,
    Barry.

Comments

Im on the same package and as I post iam on 9kbps. what a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

You can't actually get 256KB/s on anyones 2Mb line.
    You have to take TCP/IP overheads and probably more into account.
    You should expect 210-220 as a maximum.
    200kb/s is not a bad result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭barry181091

Oh ok Thanks , What are TCP/IP Overheads ??

Barry.

According to this site (http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/speeds2.htm) the max speed you should expect for a 2048kb/s line is 215KB/s.

They call 2Mb - 2272 kbps but I'm pretty sure we sync at 2048kbps so I changed the figures around and got 215KB/s

Oh ok Thanks , What are TCP/IP Overheads ??

Barry.

Understanding Overheads.

Every time we send data across a network, we also send additional information such as where the packet is from and where it is going - even how the data can be read at the other end when it reaches its destination. This additional information is known as overheads.

There are different types of overheads that may increase the size of the original data.
    Simplified - You should think of overheads being the "wrapper" and the label around the "parcel" of data that you are sending.

The different types of overheads may be "wrapped" around other overheads increasing the size of the original packet.

The most common type of overheads are TCP/IP overheads. There are also many other types of overheads that your data may be wrapped in whilst traversing the internet such as UDP, IP, PPP, L2TP, ATM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement