Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smackdown taping spoiler - New champion crowned

• 09-05-2007 4:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Well the title question has been resolved. Edge cashed in his Money in the Bank title shot at the Pittsburgh taping and is now your new World Heavyweight Champion!

As was the case when Angle won the belt, the WWE have publicised it on their website where they have pictures and a report...

The Rated-R Superstar cashed in his newly acquired Money in the Bank title opportunity tonight and knocked the sports-entertainment world off its axis by becoming the new World Heavyweight Champion. Following a beastly, relentless attack from a returning Mark Henry, Edge picked the bones of a bloodied Undertaker to win the first World Heavyweight Championship of his career.

I think this is a great move by the WWE. Smackdown was in dire straits with Taker and Kennedy's injuries but I think they've made it into a real positive by giving Edge the strap. This should breathe new life into the title picture there.

For Edge I reckon it's a good thing too as his future was uncertain on Raw and Vince McMahon has been hogging all the mic time. Now Edge can show the world why he's currently the best heel in the business. I hope he gets a long reign.

So then better not miss Smackdown this week, kids. :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭kentonbomb

it would have been better if kennedy won it, but anyway i think it's a dumb move by wwe, i mean everyone saw this coming, IMO they should have gave that briefcase to orton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

kentonbomb wrote:
    it would have been better if kennedy won it, but anyway i think it's a dumb move by wwe, i mean everyone saw this coming, IMO they should have gave that briefcase to orton

Dude, sorry but get over the "kennedy should have won it" - he didnt, he is out injured. And give it to Orton - that would have been a bigger mistake.

You now have a fresh champion, one who is established to get the best out of the crowd - and one who can almost, single handly turn his opponent face - I mean a returning Kennedy can now lay claim to being the uncrowned champion of Smackdown cause Edge stole it...imagine the promos from Edge on this.

It would also be a lot better if Kennedy himself learned something new, other then repeating his name (which all of his promos, in essence, are). Hopefully time will tell on this on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i don't understand why WWE are already showing this on their site, and on the ECW taping (scrolled across the screeen) SD! isn't supposed to be until Friday, and the broadcast will be shot like it always is, as if it was being shot Live on the Friday, so why are they screwing with that?

Also - would anyone else like to see Orton moved to SD! to fued with Edge - the two put on a fantastic match on RAW last week, and it would be more interesting then Edge vs Batista. I can't think of anyone on SD! in the position to go for the title, that i would actually like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Tauren wrote:
    Also - would anyone else like to see Orton moved to SD! to fued with Edge - the two put on a fantastic match on RAW last week, and it would be more interesting then Edge vs Batista. I can't think of anyone on SD! in the position to go for the title, that i would actually like to see.

Nahh screw Orton, he just ain't up to it.

Giving Edge the belt and moving him to Smackdown could be very good indeed. I have to admit, I was disappointed to see Kennedy lose the MITB and now Taker losing his championship, but in fairness with both of them due to be out for a couple of months this looks like a very good move.

Edge is just a brilliant heel. So with Mark Henry back, at least they can freshen up SD.

Can't wait then for Kennedys return, because they'll have a great story line, and hopefully a nice long feud (not just up to the next pay per view, are you listening Mr McMahon!!) with himself and Edge could be...ehhh dare I say it ....Money In the Bank...........BANK!

Woooooooooooooooooooooo. Business has just picked up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Tauren wrote:
    i don't understand why WWE are already showing this on their site, and on the ECW taping (scrolled across the screeen) SD! isn't supposed to be until Friday, and the broadcast will be shot like it always is, as if it was being shot Live on the Friday, so why are they screwing with that?

They sometimes do it to boost ratings. Smackdowns have been sliding lately. I guess the theory is that if word gets out on the net a new champ is crowned more people will tune in. Whether it has any big effect is another thing.

As plan B's go, I think Edge winning the belt is a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Going to have to start watching Smackdown! now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

Brillant.....best thing that has happened on sd in a while......Edge deserves this title run......He's been in the buisness along time at this staage and had only filler title reins till now.....

One thing that does get me is why did mark henry go after taker.....Batista's the one who injured him........at least batista might be busy with henry for a few months and not yelling on about getting his title back.....he loat it and failed twice to get it back....Time for him to be pushed off the number on contender spot.........Matt Hardy should be given a push now....considering the history between edge and hardy...it could be a very good feud and he's a terribly under-rated wrestler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I'm very happy about the title switch. I love Edge as champ. Although, I do wish it was Cena as champ on the B-show and Edge as champ of the A-show.

As for WWE leaking the news, they always do it. They did it when Angle got the belt and they did it when Angle was made GM. I think they did it when someone go tinjured to. WWE have been openly (well as openly as they can to keep kayfabe) admitting SmackDown! is taped for a while now. I'm not certain, but isn't there a graphic after the opening credits that says 'taped on tuesday'. I'm not sure if it is still there, but it was definatly there a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

kentonbomb wrote:

I have absolutely no idea how you can say everyone saw this coming. Did you see Kennedy getting injured on the weekend, losing MITB on Monday and Edge winning the title on Tuesday, even though Mark Henry interfered. Doubt it

I think it's a great move especially considering the other candidates for the title. I love when they take everyone by surprise but I really wished they'd have kept it as quiet as possible.

Another positive is that this could bring Matt Hardy into the title picture at last. Given their history a feud isn't too unlikely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Ah fúck! Was really looking forward to seeing Edge on the 6th June!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

As soon as Edge won the title, most people (at least on the internet!) had an inkling this was gonna happen.

I'm pretty happy about it, probably one of the few people who's happy to see Mark Henry back too. It will be interesting to see if WWE does anything with Matt Hardy and Edge, considering their history.

Could be the chance hardy needs to propel himself into the main event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

aghhhhh.... ( i am venting here) Sorry about this, i came in here and i put my hand up to the computer screen, I DID NOT READ ANY POST, I WOULD LOVE TOO, ITS KILLING ME TO KNOW, BUT I WILL WAIT FOR SD ON FRIDAY, TIME IS GOING TO CRAWL. jesus i hope it's edge.

Sorry about this , i just had to get that off my chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Cactus Col wrote:

Too right. This could be perfect for Matt Hardy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

This is good for smackdown anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Putting the belt on your top heel isn't a bad move anyway. I'm curious to know if Kennedy would've won the title if he hadn't been injured though

The feud I'm looking forward to seeing is Edge vs Rey when he gets back. Apart from Eddie and Chavo, they were the only two guys from the "Smackdown 6" in 2002 who didn't face each other. I'd say they could have some great matches. And as much as I'd like to see Matt Hardy getting a main event level feud, I don't really see it happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Cactus Col wrote:
    As soon as Edge won the title, most people (at least on the internet!) had an inkling this was gonna happen.

I'm pretty happy about it, probably one of the few people who's happy to see Mark Henry back too. It will be interesting to see if WWE does anything with Matt Hardy and Edge, considering their history.

This I would love too see, I enjoyed their feud before and personally I think Matt is ready for a main event, not sure is Vince would agree with me though.

All in all a good move for SD and I along with the general consensus here think Edge will make a great heel champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

The only thing i see wrong with Edge as champ is that Raw has just lost their top heel.

I think its a great move as far as saving Smackdown go's, but who takes his place on Raw??? I would have said that this would be Ortons chance to step up seeing as this must be the end of Rated RKO, but seeing as he is being punished for his stunt on tour, who's left?

I see 2 immediate choices...Khali (please God No) and Umaga. Anyone else have ideas as to who will try to fill Edges shoes on Raw?

. Anyone else have ideas as to who will try to fill Edges shoes on Raw?

Johnny Nitro I'd love to see get pushed. They have something with him and Melina I think. I'm not holding my breath though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

TheBigEvil wrote:
    Can't wait then for Kennedys return, because they'll have a great story line, and hopefully a nice long feud (not just up to the next pay per view, are you listening Mr McMahon!!) with himself and Edge could be...ehhh dare I say it ....Money In the Bank...........BANK!

As well as that he'll have to deal with The Undertaker at some point too.

Edge's promos should be a treat as he can now claim to have laid out the two big stars of Smackdown. The casual fans will hate his guts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

I wonder where this will leave Orton. Is he still in trouble or what? I think before that little fracas in the hotel, they were trying to push him as a face in a feud against Edge. There is no way he will get over as face now if Edge is gone to SD. I can see him offering alot to Raw as one of the top heels.

As for Edge on SD, who is he going to fight? Batista? That's going to be a horrible feud. As someone said before, Benoit and Hardy both need a little push in the right direction to fill the time that the Undertaker and Kennedy are out.

Double C wrote:
    I wonder where this will leave Orton. Is he still in trouble or what? I think before that little fracas in the hotel, they were trying to push him as a face in a feud against Edge. There is no way he will get over as face now if Edge is gone to SD. I can see him offering alot to Raw as one of the top heels.

I reckon they might keep Orton fairly strong until Triple H returns as it makes sense for those two to feud seeing as the quad tear happened when he wrestled Orton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Orton can start claiming he killed another legend, then Trips comes back and deals with him. Raw is low on heels now that can speak,i.e. they have one, Orton, so I'd say Triple H's face return will be short lived. Maybe Carlito will be pushed up there too with his recent heelishness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

thank god batista didnt get the belt !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Carlito will get a big heel push on Raw now I think. I would like to see Chris Masters step up too. I think he has a ton of potential to be a top class Ahole heel.

MikeHoncho wrote:
    Carlito will get a big heel push on Raw now I think. I would like to see Chris Masters step up too. I think he has a ton of potential to be a top class Ahole heel.

I think Nitro has much more of an upside than both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The way it's ended up is pretty good. Edge will be a great champion although I'm afraid he might just be warming the belt for Rey.

On the Raw heel front, They have until judgement day to think about propelling a real heel cos Khali will do the job till then. If Masters hadn't just been sacrificed to make Santino look respectable I'd suggest him cos he was brilliant at generating heat but Orton is by far the most likely candidate, he's the only main-eventing heel on the raw roster now.

I just hope to god Mcmahon doesn't make himself the heel on both ECW and Smackdown

After seeing a Snitsky ad during Raw, there's a posibility that he might be brought back there. He's not really doing anything at the moment in ECW, is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

I think Nitro has much more of an upside than both of them.
    Nitro has great in ring skills alright but his ability on the mic is god awful. Unless he can find some charisma out of nowhere(ala Batista), I don't see Nitro amounting to anything more than IC champion.
    Bubs101 wrote:
    Orton is by far the most likely candidate, he's the only main-eventing heel on the raw roster now.
    I know Orton is meant to be getting punished right now (although it hasn't really been showing), WWE have no choice but to push him as far as he can go. He has great in ring skill (IMO he is one of the best in WWE at selling) and great mic skill. Himself and Cena could generate a fantastic feud. I don't see Umaga getting pushed to the top because he's already had two PPV main event matches with Cena this year with both being won by (surprise surprise) John Cena. With regards to Khali, he's just a bump in the road for Cena. A method for Cena to get back those straying fans that were a result from feuding with HBK for months.
    Edge as champion on SD...well its both good news and bad. He's the champ, good, but he's on the B show, bad. I hope they give Edge a lenghty reign with feuds aginst the likes of Rey, Hardy and Benoit to take him up to the return of Taker.

• Advertisement

Nitro has great in ring skills alright but his ability on the mic is god awful. Unless he can find some charisma out of nowhere(ala Batista), I don't see Nitro amounting to anything more than IC champion.
    r.

I see what your saying about his mic skills. They're not great but thats why he's got Melina. Plus I think he's got a charisma about him

I don't think they necessarily need to find a new heel for Raw. Khali will keep Cena busy for a while and since the PPVs are tri-branded they can have someone from another brand feud with Cena if need be.

They need a big main event for Summerslam and Cena vs HBK III seems like a good bet for that one.

I'd be more concerned about the lack of top babyfaces on SD. I suspect Edge will feud with Batista at first but I've no idea who he'll face after that. I hope they move Benoit into the heavyweight division over the next few weeks. Maybe MVP will take the belt off Benoit at Judgment Day.

Well I was just thinkin there that Matt Hardy beat Kennedy clean on last weeks SD. They were probably looking to start that feud that was meant for last year when Matt Hardy was the first to beat Kennedy only for Kennedy to replace Mark Henry against Batista in the main event of the PPV (can't remember which one it was) due to Henry getting injured. In terms of storyline, the fact that Hardy beat the MITB briefcase holder clean means that he can have a strong claim to having a shot at Edges title. All the pices fit if you ask me.
    With regards to the lack of faces on SD at the mo, say they put Hardy against Edge for the next month, theres 1, Rey returns in a few weeks, thats 2, push Benoit (very easy to do taking into account his credentials) thats 3 and finally we have Batista which brings us up to 4.

With regards to the lack of faces on SD at the mo, say they put Hardy against Edge for the next month, theres 1, Rey returns in a few weeks, thats 2, push Benoit (very easy to do taking into account his credentials) thats 3 and finally we have Batista which brings us up to 4.

Matt might have been on the road to being given a push but you can't seriously suggest that he's a main eventer right now. I like Hardy and wish he was treated better but the fact remains that less than a month ago he was pinned by Trevor Murdoch! You're also forgetting that he's currently one half of the tag team champions and is involved in a feud with Cade and Murdoch. There's no way Matt will go from mid-carder to number one contender in a few short months. Therefore I'd rule him out.

Benoit? He's currently the US champ which is a problem. If you take the belt off him at Judgment Day then presumably you have to do a rematch, right? It's not like Benoit can lose the title and shrug his shoulders and move on. So if they do a rematch and MVP retains then you have the difficult task of taking Benoit from losing two US title matches to MVP, into a spot where he is challenging for the World Title. That isn't going to be easy by any means.

Rey might be given the all clear to wrestle in a few weeks but I still don't see them rushing him back. It might be months before he's in action again which could be problematic.

Batista seems to me to be the only credible top babyface contender on SD at this moment in time. If they want to give Edge some decent feuds they have a lot of work to do.

Having said all that, it's not really WWE's fault seeing as a month ago no one would have imagined all this would occur. All their plans have gone out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

I am so glad that Edge won the title, fairly shocked when I found out. I thought Batista would win it back, but (thankfully!), that was not the case! Edge is a great heel and one of the best heel champions. It was great to see the run he had with the title last year and I think he is deserving to be champ on SD now.

I mostly watch SD more than Raw (not only because the time it's shown doesn't really suit me :/) and this is just another good reason to tune in every week.

I think that if Kennedy were not injured that he would have more than likely won the title from Taker, but since he is out for the next year, it obviously isn't gonna happen for him for a while....some guys have the worst luck!

Bubs101 wrote:
    I have absolutely no idea how you can say everyone saw this coming. Did you see Kennedy getting injured on the weekend, losing MITB on Monday and Edge winning the title on Tuesday
    Well Actually Yes i did see it coming, once i saw on the web that Kennedy was injured i knew he was going to lose it monday, i knew that whoever he lost it to would cash it in on SD! the same week because that was the plan for kennedy to do what edge did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

Whats kennedy's injury?

Torn triceps, out for about 6 months

From WWE.com:

WWE.com has received word that the initial prognosis for Mr. Kennedy’s arm injury was overstated. Based on Kennedy’s extensive MRI at the Birmingham, Ala. offices of Dr. James Andrews, WWE’s Dr. Ferdinand Rios now reports that the SmackDown Superstar’s triceps tendon “was not torn from the bone as originally reported and will not require surgery.”

“He’s still vulnerable to injury and the arm remains badly swollen,” said Dr. Rios. “I’d expect him to be out of action for about six to eight weeks.”

Great news, if accurate, as it would make an Edge vs Kennedy storyline more intense, imo, as the memory of Kennedy getting screwed by Edge would be a lot fresher then it would have been in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

This news on Kennedy could give Smackdown a great chance of keeping up its standard when Taker was fit. A returning Kennedy in 8 weeks would allow for a summer long fued between Edge and Kennedy. It would allow WWE to leave its current plans for their SD midcarders practically unchanged. Batista Vs Edge for 2 months, then Kennedy, with a similar length to the Edge/Cena fued. By the time that would be over it would be about time for Taker to return.

I wonder would they have made the move with Edge had they known Kennedy's injury was far less serious than they first imagined?

• Advertisement

probably not, but WWE seems to be hitting some luck with injuries in a way.

HHH getting injured would have scrapped a lot of their plans for this year, but the result has been fantastic, with some of the best the WWE has had to offer over the last few years. Edge being moved to SD! is something that was badly needed for SD! as there wasn't enough top talent on that show, and certainly not a big enough heel. Edge moving shows is a fantastic move by the WWE, whether it was planned or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

while kennedy was supposed to be out for 6-9 months with his injury
    here is info from Wrestlemag

''There’s good news for WWE and Mr. Kennedy this morning as WWE.com last night reported that the initial diagnosis of Kennedy’s triceps injury was incorrect, and that the Smackdown wrestler will not need to undergo surgery.

WWE’s Dr. Ferdinand Rios was quoted as saying that he expected Kennedy to be out for six to eight weeks, after it was determined that Kennedy’s triceps tendon was not torn from the bone as originally thought to be the case.

Kennedy was initially believed to be out for around six months.''
    \

sorry only realised other guys had posted it up in another thread !

this is great and abit funny !! if WWE had waited till next weeks raw for edge to win MITB then there prob would of scapped the whole idea ! great news for smackdown and wwe and of MR. KENNEDYYYYYYYYYYY.

i have a great feeling smackdown will be great when kennedy comes back!!! i think i will rather smackdown than raw now!!!

kennedy could have just came on raw every week counting down the days for 6 weeks instead of giving it to edge, jesus vince you muppet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Have to say either way they did they right thing.

Personally, I think the next year will prove (to me) if Kennedy is main event material, and if he can do more then repeat everything twice

Kennedy update thread merged in here, as it relates to Edge's win, and we wouldn't want to go spoiling that for anyone!

Bit of a surprise. Now I'm curious as to what they'd have done if Kennedy wasn't injured at all and what they'd have done if they knew he wouldn't be out for months. I wouldn't imagine they'd move Edge over. But the end result is good, as Edge deserves to be a champion

Matt might have been on the road to being given a push but you can't seriously suggest that he's a main eventer right now
    Well with three world titles being defended on the same card, having Matt Hardy Vs. Edge as one of the title matches isn't going to be the biggest disaster.
    Benoit? He's currently the US champ which is a problem. If you take the belt off him at Judgment Day then presumably you have to do a rematch, right? It's not like Benoit can lose the title and shrug his shoulders and move on.
    Well my suggestion is that Hardy is the first in line so that gives Benoit enough time to end his feud with MVP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Hopefully this means that Kennedy will fued with Edge upon his return. I'd be rather put off by the prospect of a best-of-seven series twixt Edge and Batista.

kentonbomb wrote:
    kennedy could have just came on raw every week counting down the days for 6 weeks instead of giving it to edge, jesus vince you muppet

What's the problem? The plan was for the MITB winner to take the belt off of Undertaker. Kennedy still would have been unable to do that at the taping so taking the contract off him and giving it to Edge was the right move.

It will work out fine for Kennedy as he will have a lot of support when he returns.
    Well with three world titles being defended on the same card, having Matt Hardy Vs. Edge as one of the title matches isn't going to be the biggest disaster.

It would be a good match but no one would expect Hardy to win which would take a lot away from it. It would be like that Hardcore Holly/Brock Lesnar feud from the 2004 Rumble. No one bought Holly as a serious contender.

I see what your saying and I kinda agree particularly in terms of persuading people to buy the ppv.

At the same time though Hardy is bullet proof in the way Holly isn't. They pretty much buried him when he returned and no matter what they did the people still bought him.

It would be a good match but no one would expect Hardy to win which would take a lot away from it. It would be like that Hardcore Holly/Brock Lesnar feud from the 2004 Rumble. No one bought Holly as a serious contender.
    With the right build up, WWE could easily make out Hardy to be a serious contender for the title. They could show footage of Hardy beating Edge in the cage match they had at Unforgiven '05. Infact WWE could make a fantastic video package out of these two to bulid up their match given the history they have together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement