Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun cabinet in a garage

Options
  • 09-05-2007 6:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Is it ok to put your gun cabient in a garage or does it have to be inside the actual dwelling house? What is acceptable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Dunno, but if you want it out of sight or out of the way
    what about installing it under your stairs (if your not living in a Bungalow)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Or in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ultimately, it's going to depend on the opinion of the local Superintendent (and/or the Commissioner if/when the rest of the Act is commenced).

Personally, I would worry about external access to the garage, whether or not children had easy access to the safe, things like that. But I'm a little paranoid about such things (for good reason).

Would the garage not be damper?
    If so, then I wouldn't as the guns might get a bit rusty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

it would depend on what you call garage

can didder alot from a shot to a place with pure wool carpet for the harley

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

maglite wrote:
    can didder alot from a shot to a place with pure wool carpet for the harley

Got a cold Maglite? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

a place with pure wool carpet for the harley
    Good grief. Why would you get a harley? I mean, seriously, where would you put the rifle? :D

Seriously, if damp is a major concern, o_p's right; if it's not serious, then the light-bulb-in-the-false-bottom-of-the-safe-and-a-few-sachets-of-silica-gel trick should work to keep the rifles in good condition.

Sparks wrote:
    Good grief. Why would you get a harley? I mean, seriously, where would you put the rifle? :D

Seriously, if damp is a major concern, o_p's right; if it's not serious, then the light-bulb-in-the-false-bottom-of-the-safe-and-a-few-sachets-of-silica-gel trick should work to keep the rifles in good condition.

Works even better when you have an OCM to dry out the silica gel every week!

First time it has been done in years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Generally the recommended positioning of a safe states "in an internal room with no outside access" ie attic or under the stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

I put mine in the back of the wardrobe with the rawl bolts fixed through it, into the wall. You wouldn't think of looking there for a gun!....... until now! :(

Mallards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

It may well be easier for a bad guy to gain access to a garage than a house,it could even happen when you're IN the house and you wouldnt know anything about it.Its not impossible to lever a safe off a wall eiither and i reckon you'd be safer having it within your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I could put it in my wardrobe but the walls in my house are wooden so I don't know if the safe would stay on the wall. The only stone walls are in the kitchen but it would be obvious if I had vistors in the house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Bond-007 wrote:
    I could put it in my wardrobe but the walls in my house are wooden so I don't know if the safe would stay on the wall. The only stone walls are in the kitchen but it would be obvious if I had vistors in the house.

Hmm,best thing to do would be to ask the FAO before you install the safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

I had mine in my garage before moving house. Was bolted to the wall & into the ground & covered by a cupboard so it was not obvious or on view to any vistors, nor visible to anyone should I have the garage door open.

It was inspected by the FAO / CPO and there were no problems. The only major difference here though was that I had a monitored alarm throughout the house & garage & I had a seperate Panic Zone attached to the safe so should it be tampered with it would send a specific message to the alarm monitoring co & the Gardai.

Have same set up in new house ..... but no garage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Well,you could always buy another" fridge"[old junker ] and gut it and put it over the gun safe and hide it that way. Who is going to look for guns in the fridge?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

There is a publication that can be downloaded from the British Home office on Firearms security. It is called "Firearms security handbook 2005" well worth reading and will point you in a few directions.
    To Quote
    Under most circumstances, it is preferable that firearms should be secured within the occupied part of the structure. Separate, detached buildings, or those attached but having only external access (eg outhouses, garages etc) should not be used unless the levels of security warrant it. If used, these could also be protected by an intruder alarm linked to the household.

it further goes onto say
    that where you want to use a garage (integral garage), the type of block etc is of importance.

Where this is uk guidance as it could be argued as best practice to follow this,in absence of Irish guidance of a similiar matter I followed this when positioning my safe etc. common sense approach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Degsy wrote:
    Hmm,best thing to do would be to ask the FAO before you install the safe.

Look at the firearms security handbook 2005....gives you some pointers
    To quote:
    Fixings for security devices form an important part of the overall resistance to attack.
    Fastening to timber studded walls should be avoided, unless some additional anchorage can be
    provided. Floor or roof joists (subject to the previous comments) are acceptable. Walls of brick,
    concrete or masonry are usually the best bonding materials. It is important that the fixing chosen
    is correct for that material (eg expanding bolts, chemical anchors, toggle bolts etc).

Advertisement