Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbeth- What to study??

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Does anyone think a scene/ drama/ question could come up? I'm dreading a question, Like choose a scene you enjoyed.................

Any chance of this? Is there a certain amount of questions that can be asked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

It could come up, yeah. I think it came up recently though...I can't check right now, lost is on!

My advice is to learn the long scene with Malcolm and Macduff. It has everything:

The promise for action
    Hope that Macbeth will be taken down
    It shows us how evil Macbeth is by contrast with Malcolm and by talking about the kingdom under Macbeth's rule
    etc.

Whatever you do, don't take the murder scene because it seems the obvious choice, but when you analyse it, nothing really happens. It would be very difficult to write about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Just to add to what sam said, if you can pick a scene that represents the main themes of the play you could then relate them back to other scenes in the play both to strengthen your argument as to why its a good scene, why the themes are important etc, and it will fill out the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

It was really bad, wasn't it? Remember when, for what reason I cannot fathom, the witch turns round to Macbeth, lifts up her skirt and wails at him! How odd!

Half of the time it seems like the actors don't know what they are saying and their rhythm is all off. It was the exact same case when I went to see (a Morwax production?) "Macbeth" in the theatre in Galway. The actors didn't have a clue what they were saying and just threw out lines, expressionless.

I also hate the music. Enough said.

lmao, the dress part was ridiculous. one thing I forgot to add to the list was the whole.... witches being fully naked part. AND Lady Macbeth walking around naked too for that matter!

As for the music... it sounds like it's all done by one person on keyboard... to quote a friend of mine 'it's too bad they never plugged it in'

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Trying to get going on an essay about Macbeths relevence in the 21st century/to the modern audience....any ideas??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

Trying to get going on an essay about Macbeths relevence in the 21st century/to the modern audience....any ideas??

Wrote this a few posts up:
    As for the whole - how is the play relevent in the 21st century - questions, again you don't have to go - "oh my god I never did a sample question on this" - just think, okay I know Macbeth's character really well and I'll be damned if you leaving cert setters don't let me use him in my answer!

I'd write how "Macbeth" is a play dealing with integral elements of human nature that people still hold today, i.e. ambition, lust for power, I'd even stretch to including evil if I was stuck.

Plus you could go on a rant about how "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" or even better - since I LOVE Steinbeck - how "fear corrupts...perhaps the fear of a loss of power" which is, afterall, what makes Macbeth continue with his violent reign. And then you could link this with aule Bertie ! Nah, Bertie's awesome.

Basically, human nature never changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Sorry, tend not to read too much id I haven't been keeping up with the thread....thanks for the help tho, I was going to go along those lines anway, how we can all relate to his human credentials and all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

dan719 wrote:
    Do you live your life by the assumption of free will? And predestination is not an acceptable excuse in a course of law, why should it be so in literature? I have a few posts on the philosophy forum under this exact same question if you want to take a look. Excessive laziness prevents me from reproducing them here.;)

I know the thread has disintegrated a bit, but I was reading this article and I thought it might interest people....m0134.fmg.uva.nl/publications_others/BLfreewill.pdf

I realise its not directly applicable to what we are discussing. In the case of Macbeth we were speaking of free will vs fate, not free will vs unconscious recognition. But I still thought people might find some relevance in it!

Advertisement