Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exchange Server 2k3 - Migrating from Pop3 Connector to SMTP mail

• 09-05-2007 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been asked to migrate an exchange server from pop3 mailboxes to smtp. I dont have a lot of experience on exchange so would appreciate any help you can give.

Here is my understanding of what needs to happen.

Contact Domain provider to have the MX records point to the Exchange server
    Configure each clients machine to collect mail from both the pop3 account and the exchange server until DNS has propogated.

Is there anything else n eeded here, I know it shouldnt be as easy as this. Anything you can think of to help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

OK, here are some steps I have created after doing some research. If anyone know about Exchange could you take a look and let me know if I am missing anything.

I believe I also need to configure the smtp connector at some stage, Will get to that later though.

Create an external IP address record of the Exchange server with the domain name provider.
    Create a reverse DNS record for the server IP with the domain name provider.
    Create an MX record that has a higher priority than any other existing records. This will ensure a seamless conversion.
    Wait for DNS to propagate.
    Use MX Toolbox.com to confirm that the Reverse DNS record and new MX record have been properly created.
    Run the Configure E-Mail and Internet Connection Wizard and confirm the following settings:
    o E-mail Delivery Method is set to "Use DNS to route e-mail".
    o E-mail Retrieval Method is set to "Use Microsoft Connector for POP3 Mailboxes" and "Use Exchange (e-mail is delivered directly to my server)"
    o E-mail domain name is set to your company's domain name.
    On cutover day, promote the priority of the new MX record to a number lower than any other existing MX record. This should be done on a Friday to allow for propagation.
    Wait 24 hours and then use MX Toolbox.com to confirm the proper order of your MX records and that the banner properly reflects the SBS/Exchange server.
    Wait 7 days to allow for proper propagation of the mail records.
    Remove POP3 connector references and close POP3 mail accounts at ISP.
    Request that the DNS provider and remove unnecessary MX records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Create a reverse DNS record for the server IP with the domain name provider
    This would have to be with your internet service provider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

Nice one thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I've got a project coming up, moving from POP3/Outlook to Exchange/Outlook. Woud you have any advice for me, please, based on your POP3 -> SMTP change. I'm relatively clueless in this area, so I have a lot to learn before I get started.

Could you recommend anywhere on the web to learn?

Advertisement