Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boxing champ wants shot at ultimate fighter

• 09-05-2007 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭

from yahoo.com
    The world's top boxer isn't planning to fight a mixed martial artist any time soon, but the IBF welterweight champion says he wants a crack at UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. dogged the UFC and its fighters in the buildup to his blockbuster pay-per-view match with Oscar De La Hoya on Saturday.

His demeaning comments towards mixed martial arts and its fighters so infuriated UFC president Dana White and owner Lorenzo Fertitta that they brought Sherk to the fight with them on Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden in order to challenge Mayweather.

But before the fight, Mayweather told UFC vice president Marc Ratner he was only kidding and had respect for the UFC and mixed martial artists.

However, boxer Kermit Cintron is willing to take on Sherk.

Cintron, who will defend his championship against Walter Matthysse on July 14 in Atlantic City, said he'd be willing to fight Sherk after that.

"I want the fight," said Cintron, who is 27-1 with 25 KOs. "I can wrestle. I can box. I can beat those UFC fighters at their own game. Tell Mr. White to make me an offer and I'll take on his guy after I fight Matthysse on July 14."

Cintron wrestled in high school and was offered full wrestling scholarships to Wisconsin and Ohio State.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

The cynic in me is thinking that Kermit Cintron is using the who boxing versus MMA thing the get himself some notoriety and that the whole thing will come to nothing.

In saying that, with the guy having a wrestling backround, albeit only as far as high school, would make him a more dodgy opponent for Sherk I think than just a normal boxer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

In fairness to him, he does have a title and he appears to be willing to fight more often then most boxers. It would also get loads of coverage for the UFC if it's champion beat his weight equivelant in boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

With this guy having a wrestling background, doesn't it sort of make him a mixed martial artist anyway? So he'd be proving nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'd be fairly certain Pretty Boy Flloyd would win if it was boxing only, not that he'd walk the walk anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

zabbo wrote:
    I'd be fairly certain Pretty Boy Flloyd would win if it was boxing only, .

I'd be more than fairly certain!

• Advertisement
Advertisement