Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensing a Pistol

Options
  • 09-05-2007 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi Folks, at the moment I have a Rem VSSF II in .223

I was considering adding either a SIG Mosquito or a PX4 Storm in 9mm.

Current security setup is fairly reasonable:
    1. House Alarm (not monitored)
    2. Safe bolted in the attic to the gable end.
    3. Additional bolt on front door and twin cylinder locks on back patio doors.
    4. Sensor lights at rear of house.
    5. Side gate also bolted.

I will also be adding a stira with an additional lock on that.

Question is will i be made change to a monitored alarm. My current setup has the main alarm unit in the hot press but due to recent legislation for fire hazards, nobody will monitor an alarm with this setup so i would have to replace the current system.

I have also completed the pistol safety course and am a current member in the Midlands.

Would the .22 be an easier road than the 9mm for licensing. The calibre is much of muchness as this is purely for target purposes. Only thing is i prefer the look on the PX4 and have read some good reviews about the same.

If anyone has one I'd appreciate some feedback. The HK USP was also suggested but it comes in a bit more expensive.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

It differs greatly from district to district

My brother has a license for a glock 34 and the only thing he needed was a letter from the wife to say it was ok to keep it at the house.

Madness.

With regards pistol choice Ireland is a crap country to be in because if you buy a firearm you don't like it takes a lot of hassle to change it.

So .22lr will teach you all the princples of marksmanship and ammo is cheap. A full bore pistol will be more expensive and ammo is not cheap but there may be more types of competition to get into.

As you are a member of hte midlands and have done the safety course try out as many of the members pistols before you buy one.

You sound like an ideal candidate to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

Just wondering, would i be allowed to fire other members pistols. Not sure on the legal viewpoint towards this.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

there may be more types of competition to get into
    For now. Smallbore pistol matches haven't taken off here because of a lack of facilities, and we still have a load of them. When the crap about restricted lists, commissioner's guidelines and so on all finally gets sorted out, expect to see far more people taking up pistol shooting, and .22lr is the easiest of the cartridge pistols to start with for a multitude of reasons.
    It just depends on what you enjoy doing most - so Veg's suggestion of trying before making a decision is the best advice you could get.

Cipher wrote:
    Just wondering, would i be allowed to fire other members pistols. Not sure on the legal viewpoint towards this.

Thanks.

legally I am not sure so Sparks or one of the lads will be along soon to clear it up

Cipher wrote:
    On the range, with their permission, yes. Firearms Act, Section 2:
    4) This section shall not apply to any of the following cases and such cases are accordingly excepted from this section, that is to say:
    (d) the possession, use or carriage of a firearm or ammunition during a competition or target practice at a club, shooting range or any other place that stands authorised under this section or section 4A of this Act,

One caveat: if/when the last of the firearms act changes are commenced, you won't be able to do that unless the range is licenced or there's an authorisation from the local Superintendent allowing the firearms you'd be using to be used in that place at that time (for a match, say).

edit: Actually, two caveats - you'd need the club to be okay with it, obviously :D

• Advertisement

Cheers for the reply lads.

Do they enforce monitored alarms for the licensing of pistols.

yup agree with sparks on all fronts, if more small bore matches get going then .22lr might be the way to go, cheaper ammo.

Definitely try as many pistols as you can and look at the events calender of competitions you might be interested in then pick the pistol weighing up the following

Cost
    Available competitions/matches
    Personal preference

Cipher wrote:
    Do they enforce monitored alarms for the licensing of pistols.

Some places yes and some places no.

Thanks for the help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Club rules say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

On Sunday up in Midlands there was a guy fireing a .22 pistol.
    It Kept failing to re-cock itself and I dunno if he had misfires
    but yer man kept having to re-cock via the hammer and fire again.

This happened LOTS of times and even sometimes after
    he recocked and fired nothing happened. So he reeded to rack the hammer
    2-3 times before the round fired.

It even annoyed me to watch so I can only imagine how peeved
    the gun owner was.

Dunno if this is a common problem with a .22lr pistol.

I dont know what brand of pistol it was but it was silver
    and the guy beside him had the same model only chamered
    for .40

~B

If he had to recock and pull the trigger 2-3 times a lot bullets, something might have been wrong with the pistol. Personally, I'd have stopped and checked the brass to see if the hammer was properly walloping the rim. It doesn't sound like that was the case (and really, if it wasn't, the pistol needs a bit of work).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Vegeta wrote:
    My brother has a license for a glock 34 and the only thing he needed was a letter from the wife to say it was ok to keep it at the house.

:eek:

That's a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

The constant re-cocking sounds like the Mosquito. It's fusy about ammo.
    I use cci minimags in mine and it's fine.
    First day I took it out I tried low velocity eley, various lapua, remington and jammed constantly....

Looks and feels the part, ammos cheap and cheerfull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

I have only had limited experience with the mosquito and havent fallen in love with it yet.

I also found that it was quite fussy about the ammo you fed it but more annoyingly, the pistol that I shot was striking approximately 18 inches high of the point of aim at 15 yards range.

The fact that this model had non adjustable sights made for some very frustrating shooting and allowing off to get centered hits.

(P.S., it wasn't just me that was shooting high with it, the guns owner approached me to try remedy this same problem he was having with the gun.)

If you like the look and feel of the sig mosquito, I recommend that you have a look at the Beratta 87 Cheetah.

This is also a semi auto .22 and having shot it at my club I will verify it to be one of the most accurate s/a .22's I have ever fired and wasnt at all fussy about the type of ammo i gave it.

Good luck with the choice.

Chopperdog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

The tangfoglio .22 is great

Mosquito is nothing but trouble. It jams all the time and is very fussy about ammo.

Browning buckmark is great, fab trigger

Target 87 Beretta is very reliable and will cycle anything, but has a heavy trigger.

Advertisement