Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT v Eircom v wireless

Options
  • 09-05-2007 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi, am in the South Circular Road/Kilmainham area and connecting to bb via BT using the Linksys ADSL gateway wireless-G. I have always had a problem with the signal dropping for short periods but it was more of a nuisance than anything else. For months, though, the signal has been dropping for longer periods of time and is becoming quite a problem since I need the connection for work. BT tell me it might be the internal telephone wiring but I've had that replaced to no effect. Sometimes if I connect the router to a different phone socket it works for a day or so - then I have to connect to another. However, the correct voltage is coming through to the sockets.

Has anybody experience of Eircom and wireless (like Irish broadband, clearwire etc) as against BT in the Dublin area and is it better, worse, the same, as I'm thinking of changing?

Also, there's a lot of apartment building going on in this area all the time - could that be affecting the signal?
    Padraig :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Given that you are using a wireless router I assume you have confirmed that the wireless connection is not the problem and that its the net connection itself that is dropping. It is most unlikely that changing from BT to Eircom will result in an improvement as it sounds as if your line may have deteriorated over a period. Have you checked your line stats? have you checked the performance with another router to see if the linksys is contributing to the problems?

In your area you should have the option of changing to Smart - Smart use adsl2 which is more resilient and get can a better performance from a dodgy line (I can vouch for that!) Additionally if you change to Smart and your line is that bit iffy they can put you on a remedial profile which will help performance. This is done through the Smart online forums rather than over the phone with support.

Advertisement