Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing CD player in the Golf

Options
  • 09-05-2007 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Ordered a new golf, 1.4 tsi and I noticed the CD player that it provides is an unusual shape and looks semi built into the dash. Not sure if this is the case, it just looks it. And I have an MP3 player which uses an AUX input and before in my old Golf, I used to just use the tape converter to play my music but I cant do that when my new golf arrives because it has a cd player.

Can anyone tell me if it is expensive to change cd player and get it fitted in the new golfs? And will it look out of place since the cd player in Golf's are massive on the dash?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm not sure, but there may be an AUX input of some description at the rear of the Golf stereo. Ask the dealer - or better still ask around a couple of car stereo installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The factory fitted head unit is quite easy to take out. You can then buy a mounting and fit a new head unit of your choice of standard size.

Have a look here for how to remove it.
    http://enfigpix.com/tech_vw_mk5_icelink.html

I did it recently myself on a 07 Golf with ease. I didn't replace the head unit, just added the ice link for my iPod, but when you've done as above you'll see how easy it easy to replace the head unit. The only differences to note are with the 07 Golf at the start if you lift up the rubber bottom of the dash compartment you'll see two screws - that's your starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, its not too difficult to remove the stereo, but at the same time, I've seen easier - i.e. its not a simple pull-out jobbie like in some cars, as Bluetonic's good link there illustrates! Note, if you don't have climate control, the panel on the top of the dash is different, there's a storage tray there instead.
    Also, the clips, etc can break easily as you remove it, but bits like that are cheap to replace if absolutely necessary. VW should be able to provide you with a blanking plate, so as your new stereo integrates properly into the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

JoeA3 wrote:
    Also, the clips, etc can break easily as you remove it, but bits like that are cheap to replace if absolutely necessary.
    Correct - I had to glue a few back on to the fascia to allow it to clip back in.

Advertisement