Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) Connections

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Purcashed an SSL Cert and asked the host to generate the CSR (Certificate Signing Request). He didnt know how, I sent him instructions. He sent me the results, but doesnt know what to do - apart from that he thinks I get a key I must send to him. He also doesnt know what type of server it is Apache X (he doesnt know what type, ie X).

Can someone provide any assistance in finding out the web server information? Most scans I preform only state "Apache".

His email sent me a paste of details such as;

BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST
    and
    END CERTIFICATE REQUEST

Also given was
    BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY
    and
    END RSA PRIVATE KEY

I assumed that I only paste in the cert request details (I cant until I find out what Apache version this is - OpenSSL, ModSSL etc), but where does this RSA come into it?

Hoping you can help, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Sully wrote:
    Purcashed an SSL Cert and asked the host to generate the CSR (Certificate Signing Request). He didnt know how, I sent him instructions. He sent me the results, but doesnt know what to do - apart from that he thinks I get a key I must send to him. He also doesnt know what type of server it is Apache X

Are you paying them for this?

:eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nope, my mother is though but she doesnt understand any of this at all. She didnt want the cert, as nobody really ever complained before. But, I felt it should be there - she might get good business as it is, but she may be stopping some people from using the site at all if its not secure and enabling security might draw in the unsure.

I look after the day to day running of the site, and they look after hosting and all server side things. She handed over the site to me to maintain as it was (if I recall correctly) expensive for her to pay them to keep it up-to-date.

Hate to dig up an old thread but I wanted to thank everyone invovled in this. I started out with the issue boggling me and now I understand it a lot better.

Im using a Single Root Certificate from NameCheap.com. Worked out at €12. A lot cheaper then €100 from Irish hosts, but I guess they have a different CA.. The CA for Namecheap is Equifax Secure Inc. :)

Thanks a lot for your help, appreciated. Plus, the host for my mothers site now knows exactly what to do for installing SSL Certs ;)

Advertisement