Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licking Bunny

Options
  • 09-05-2007 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Well have the lil bunny few days now hes settled in well, but he's licking everything! I did read on the internet that when rabbits lick people that its a sign of affection but this little guy licks everything from us, the floor, the couch anything and everything.

Just wondering has anybody had similar experiences or whether this is normal for a baby bunny

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 McPedro

From what I read it seems he's just cleaning up, and the obvious affection;)

gas thread title btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Aww bless, how old is the rabbit? Also what types are foods are you feeding him? It could be just a very affectionate bunny if he's very young he might see you as his mum:D Just make sure the diets ok and if it is it's probably just affection, no need to add anything like salt licks etc if the diet is right.

A good quality rabbit mix, introduce fresh fruit and veg gradually esp. if the bunny is young. Unlimited hay and fresh water and a chewy safe log.

If the bunny is just being affectionate keep encouraging that. You might notice his behaviour change when he hits about 5 or 6 months old if he becomes less affectionate or aggressive then you will need to have him neutered once he's done he will calm back down after a few weeks and become a more affectionate bunny again.

Don't forget the usual vaccinations and worming etc he will need (not all at the same time leave a space of 2 weeks between the Mixi vax and the VHD vax and the worming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Poppy84

We were given the food he was eating in the pet shop i dont know the name of it off hand, I have ben training him with little bits of carrot he seems to be catching on very quick but he only gets little bits of carrot.
    He's 9 weeks old, he has no problem being held or petted or cuddled, which im delighted over.

I wasnt aware of the vaccines I asked in the pet shop did he need any thing like that and i was told he didnt. At what age should he get these, do you think i should bring him to a vet just for a check up seeing as i just got him. he's an inside bunny is there any other health issues i should know about with him bein kept inside??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Our rabbit used to lick anything and everything when he was younger. He grew out of it and took up running in circles around people instead. If you stand with your legs apart he will run in figure 8s around your legs occasionally changing direction. :D The cat hates it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I noticed a similar thing with my westie, we only have him a few months and he is about 8. He licked everything like couches, cushions and my jeans. He licked me everytime I petted him, it was like he was transferring affection :) He has stopped doing it now though.

• Advertisement

I would wait until he is abut 4 months old and then have him vaxd for Mixomatosis and 2 weeks later VHD the vet can give him a health check before the 1st vaccination. Eventhough he is indoors I would still have him done, some vets aren't used to rabbits and might not suggest it or have the vaccine to hand so they might have to order it.

Another reason why pet shops are useless, not all but some really haven't a clue about rabbits and vaccinations how there hasn't been major outbreaks in pet shops I don't know with having so many crammed together some don't even know where the rabbits have come from or even if they do it's not like they have went to the persons house to see how they are being bred and kept etc.
    Sounds like the kind of pet shop that will feed rabbits the cheapest food they can find as well. Brugess for rabbits is a good brand if oyu slowly switch over to that it's ina green bag and will last you ages with one bunny. Feeding instructions are on the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Poppy84

thanks a million for the advice i'll definitly bring him to the vet when hes 4 months from what ive read thats when you can get then neutered if needs be but it'll be no harm for him to get the once over. He's 8/9 weeks old so in another while

The food we have is in a green bag but i think the bits could be to big for him he's nibbling away but not eating full bits. <----over analysing the poor little things habits maybe.

Could you recomend any toys to keep him occupied. would you advise giving him a teddy bear or something as company to cuddle up into when sleeping good idea or not???? i read that somewhere as well.

SOrry for ass the questions but you know what your talking about :D

Toys for bunnies like plain bornw paper bags (no labels or handles on them etc) stuffed with hay and veggies or safe herbs they love to tear them apart. Kitchen roll stuffed with the same or grass. Those plastic cat balls with the bell in (keep an eye so he doesn't chew it).
    Carboard boxes with holes cut out to make little hidey houses to jump on and into (they love them).
    Lots of shop bought stuff out there like those edible carrot thingys that they like to fling around, treat balls for rabbits, bunny kabobs, cholla (dried cactus). Untreated Willow toys like willow balls and baskets. Many of these are available of UK websites that deliver to Ireland.
    Those wooden bird toys without the ropey parts eg a wooden one with bells on it that you can hang from the cage. Grass hutches/nests can be gotten in some pet shops.
    Soft cat beds they looove snuggling up in them

For outside or somewhere you don't mind a mess fill a large clean plastic box or tub with clean peat moss and watch him dig and fling it about.

On zooplus.ie >> http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/accessories/toys/34262

This ones a bit pricey but if the bunny sits in the middle is amusing lol.
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_accessories/cat_beds_baskets/beds/13407

You can get them cheaper than this this is an example though something that's covered over so bunny feels safe if he has a litter tray he shouldn't soil it pillow can be removed for washing. http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_accessories/cat_beds_baskets/cozy_cat_beds/36701

Advertisement