Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal affordable housing scheme

Options
  • 09-05-2007 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know the wage limit for application to the fingal affordable housing scheme?
    I think it states 40k euro on the website but I thought this had been increased recently?

Thanks,
    Neil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I just posted a thread on this yest too. Ive applied for the Housing Inititative which (i think) is different to the Scheme. For a single applicant the cutoff is 40k for the Scheme and 55k for the Inititative, but as i cant seem to get any indept info on the differences between them i could be majorly wrong. Apart from a few piddly websites i cant get any really good info on this process. Everyone i talk to seems a bit confused on the process i.e whether theyre on a list/in a lottery! I really want to know how many times you are allowed turn down an offer and if anyone has experienced any pitfalls during the process. I applied 5 months ago and have no idea what to epxect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's a lottery, but your odds of being selected increase the longer you're waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Stark wrote:
    It's a lottery, but your odds of being selected increase the longer you're waiting.

It's not a lottery everywhere, depends on the council. I know Fingal is list only and they work their way through it, making offers to those next on the list as homes come available.

I think Dublin City Council and SDCC use the lottery and yes your chances do increase the longer you're on it, but if you're a very unlucky person, you mightn't get pulled out at all.

I think the list system is better because at least then you're guaranteed viewings when it reaches you.

Ye see thats why im confused! I applied to all 4 dublin county councils on one general application and dont know if im on lists/lotteries or somethin else! Typical ireland, nothins ever as straightforward as it seems! Even the housing offices were confused when i rang...i.e getting the different wage cutoffs confused!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its 40k for Fingal Scheme, alot higher for Initiative.

Initiative wage limit is generally higher in each council than the Scheme.

See previous thread about issue http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055080349

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Donegal CoCo use a points-based system for affordable housing. I don't know how they assess the points, though if you're offered a house and reject it, then 20 points is deducted from your "score" which puts you further back on the list.

I don't know how this compares to other CoCo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Can you explain how the longer you are on a list would improve your chances in a lottery?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

As far as I know if you're a new applicant you get put in the draw once if you're waiting 6 months you get put in twice and after a year you have 3 chances in every draw, or something along those lines I may be wrong with the time scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

developmetn being lauched by fingal this wekend in Ongar d15!

http://www.affordablehome.ie/home/index.aspx?id=371

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

With the affordable housing initative your not necesarily put on a list but can buy the houses like the ones in Ongar once you meet the criteria.

• Advertisement

you can book a provisional home on SAt I've been told, but you need to have all you details + deposits to FIngal in a certain time period!!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Hey is there not going to be killings for these houses/apartments. As far as I know there is 51 units and its on a first come first serve:eek: . I cant see how thats going to work.

texas star wrote:
    Hey is there not going to be killings for these houses/apartments.

3 beds at 285k sure thats great value? 3 beds in castlegrange / latchford are 405k

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

My friend has just been out and they wont allow you to queue. So I can only imagion there is going to be alot of disappointed people on Saturday.:(

there is more properties on offer too in Erris Square and LAtchford! so I hope people will not all be disapointed!

The following applies to all councils..

Just be careful to check that the council is not overcharging you the discounted price in a falling market
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=414407&postcount=15

re: the affordable houses in D15 tomorrow....how exactly is that working?? I applied 6 months ago and havent heard anythin yet but on the website it just says turn up with ur P60 on sat morning http://www.affordablehome.ie/home/index.aspx?id=371 If theyre not allowing queing..how exactly are people meant to get one then...just pretend theyre hangin around" and then just leg it to the marketing suite whipping out their p60s! Itll be chaos!! And..why can u just turn up and get a house, when other people (like meself) have gone through the application process months ago and are patiently :rolleyes: waiting to be called!
    ***Still sooo confused***

would you like one posted to you?

Some info in ydays paper, snippet of an article about queue jump for affordable homes in Fingal

Affordable.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Anna23

I managed to see them on Sunday the ones in Phibblestown, the minute we got there they were like " they have all been booked" so whats the point in seeing them I asked, to which the sales woman said, well you can put your name on the canx list, though I doubt I will get through, I am supposed to be number 2 on the canx list so she said, God only knows. They were really nice, and quite big, compared to the one's in Luttrellstown (where I live at the moment). I have to say it was madness on Saturday the cars waiting were about 1 mile or so long.

I have applied for both schemes, the under 40 k and 65 k but for the second one with my sister (which I am not very happy about) but hey if I can get it I will try anything within reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

Hi all

Queued over nite on Friday at this property - and was successful. Have to say that the people running this scheme were excellent. They were the AHI and they made the experience very pleasant. They kept us informed, ensured we had water, facilities and even brought crossaints in the morning.
    The show house was lovely, very spacious And I'm delighted to have got 1!! .

There is a lot of confusion over the schemes, lists, lotteries, etc. but I believe that this group are trying to standardise the process!

Eims

Well congrats, I have to admit u are one of the luck people who managed to get, and CONGRATS to you again, they should buld more, so it was correct when we were told its on a first come first served basis, yes the show hoses were very big and a lot of light compared to other houses in the area which are so small.
    I will prob just have to queue overnight as well......its pity they have done this to people.

Anna23 wrote:
    its pity they have done this to people.

done what? the public chose to que? and the eager purchasers got what the wanted!

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, pity people had to queue when they have paid for an application and were sent a letter from the council, but they were not informed correctly, thats all I was trying to say, and I am sorry if it didnt come out the rite way!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

The houses in Phibblestown were first advertised back in March - and anyone could have applied. According to the people there on Sat, they didnt have enough interest from eligible people and thats why they decided to open a show house. So people can't complain - everyone had a chance to apply a couple of months ago. As for the upcoming developments - it seems that queuing may be the way forward.

http://www.affordablehome.ie/home/index.aspx?id=470

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Madong

eimsRV wrote:
    The houses in Phibblestown were first advertised back in March - and anyone could have applied. According to the people there on Sat, they didnt have enough interest from eligible people and thats why they decided to open a show house. So people can't complain - everyone had a chance to apply a couple of months ago. As for the upcoming developments - it seems that queuing may be the way forward.

http://www.affordablehome.ie/home/index.aspx?id=470

I think they call that risk :D:D , some bought off the plans, some waitied for show house and buying off the plans paid off (no que and no wait)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

anniehoo wrote:
    I just posted a thread on this yest too. Ive applied for the Housing Inititative which (i think) is different to the Scheme. For a single applicant the cutoff is 40k for the Scheme and 55k for the Inititative, but as i cant seem to get any indept info on the differences between them i could be majorly wrong. Apart from a few piddly websites i cant get any really good info on this process. Everyone i talk to seems a bit confused on the process i.e whether theyre on a list/in a lottery! I really want to know how many times you are allowed turn down an offer and if anyone has experienced any pitfalls during the process. I applied 5 months ago and have no idea what to epxect.

I have just been granted a provisional loan application by Fingal Co. Co. I have rung on numerous looking for information on when I might be offered a house, where they are currently building affordable houses and how long will I have t wait.

I have been told that you can reject as many houses as you like and are never removed from the list as a result. This is Fingal remember. Somebody else mentioned that I should be offered my first property within 4 months.

There is a lot of conflicting opinions out there as to the whole procedure even n behalf of the staff at Fingal Housing.

If they have offered me a loan of €165 grand will the house cost this amount or will I have to supplement this with savings? It's all a little bit up in the air.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The mortgage is up-to 95% of the purchase price of the property (up to a max of €185,000)- i.e. your mortgage offer of €165 grand represents a maximum price under the Affordable Housing scheme of about €175k. You can make up the difference (10k) from savings (not from other loans)- or limit yourself to the mortgage limit (165k). The council will only offer you properties which are within your financial means.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

smccarrick wrote:
    The mortgage is up-to 95% of the purchase price of the property (up to a max of €185,000)- i.e. your mortgage offer of €165 grand represents a maximum price under the Affordable Housing scheme of about €175k. You can make up the difference (10k) from savings (not from other loans)- or limit yourself to the mortgage limit (165k). The council will only offer you properties which are within your financial means.

Shane

Thanks.
    So I don't have much chance of being offered an affordable home in Donabate then. If the max price is €175,000 what would the price be on the open market? €350,000?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thanks.
    So I don't have much chance of being offered an affordable home in Donabate then. If the max price is €175,000 what would the price be on the open market? €350,000?

Don't rule it out- open market prices for new builds are dropping significantly, though the offer price on affordable homes is supposed to be its build cost. In theory the Affordable Home price tends to be between 1/2 and 2/3 of the open market cost- so it could be somewhere in the 300-350 region.

S.

Advertisement