Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerkiting in Cork

Options
  • 09-05-2007 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there are any power kiting clubs/classes around Cork? I'd like to give this a shot this Summer but know feck all about it, I am just looking for general information - equipment suppliers, good places to go to, any clubs?

I'm not really into surfing so wouldn't be into trying kite surfing yet, would prefer to learn how to use a mountain board to fly up and down a long beach...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

inchadonney do some of that when the weather is good or else look up www.landboarding,ie or the extreme sports section on boards i got some pretty good info on there about kiteboarding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Thanks chuci, the landboarding.ie website seems to be down tho. I found some useful links in the extreme sports section of boards

cheers,
    jAH

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

I am in Cork and do a bit of kite landboarding,main spots I head to are Killbrittian in the West and Ballinamona in the east.The best winds are onshore but cross onshore is good also.
    There are currently no clubs in Cork at the mo but sign up to the dublinkiteclub.org forums if you need more info.

You can try one of my kites any time I go to the beach if you like.
    The forum mentsioned above is good for second hand gear all my kites are second hand.A 3 or 4 metre kite is good for learning on,allways try it in lightish winds first before going out in the stronger ones.
    I know of five other powerkiters that are landbased in Cork but we are hardly at the same spot at the same time,due to the plentiful supply of beaches.:)
    One of the surfshops in Tramore has a guy giving landboarding lessons if you are down that way.
    Hope this helps
    Sean:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

where did you learn wideangle in cork or other places would love to give it a proper go now that summer is here and i act have a chance to get into it

I thought myself Chuci,bought a flexifoil pro team 8 two line foil,lots of power no saftey on it still good fun in strong winds.That was november '05.

Then bought last May a 3metre ozone fury and a 6 metre ozone little devil which are both four line foils.Only bought the board last August,waited till I had enough experience with the kites first.Now I can go down wind and back up wind,no tricks just yet but maybe soon.
    Have two more kites to play with aswell ozone access 1 8 metre and a flexifoil bullet 4.4 metre.
    All are second hand better value that way but there are loads of kites for sale secondhand prices in Ireland are very high for new kites and few makes too choose from.Steer clear from the argos ones no matter what you do.
    I fly at a playing pitch in Ardfield in Grange just off Cooneys Lane some evenings when the wind is right.:cool:

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Hi wideangle

Many thanks for the tips I will take a good look through the dublinkiteclub forums. From reading your post above I was wondering would you recommend just learning to fly the kite(s) first before attempting to go near a landboard?

To date all I have flown is my own stuntkite and a friends power kite which I'm guessing was around 1.5m wide...

jAH

ps If you happen to have any 2nd hand kites for sale yourself (to suit beginner) I maybe interested!

Hi jArgHA,
    Yes it would be better in the long run to just fly the kite on the ground without a landboard for the first few months.That does not mean it will not be fun as you can still learn to jump,scud,body surf,without a landboard.
    Also it is best to fly a few more kites before you fork out for a kite to see what suits you,handles or bar set up and the size.
    Handles give more percise control but most people prefer a bar set up.

Also the general rule is the lighter the wind the bigger the kite and the stronger the wind the smaller the kite,so no big kites in strong winds as you might just regret it.

There are kites with little pull and little life,no lift and loads of pull,loads of lift and a little pull,this is due to the design of the kite as well as the size.

P.s. Sorry I have no kites for sale,still using the 3metre the most,that would be the best for a beginner.

Advertisement