Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 month quarantine!!

Options
  • 09-05-2007 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to be bringing my German Shepherd Jake with me from Turkey to Ireland in July - after contacting the department of agriculture I was told he must enter a 6 month quarantine period on arrival in Ireland! As Turkey is a high risk rabies country, even a blood test 6 months prior to his entry showing no rabies in the dog will not allow exemption from this 6 month quarantine!

I love my dog very much and he has always lived in the house with us, never outside in kennels. He's only 11 months at present has TONS of energy and gets bored really easily. He also loves being around people. 6 months quarantine in a small kennel and no variety is horribly unfair on him, especially when there is nothing wrong with him (and could be proven with the previous 6 month blood test)...

There seems to be no exceptions to this 6 month quarantine rule.. unless we build a quarantine facility ourselves and stay at home 24 hours a day to run it :confused: surely possible for the average joe :rolleyes:

Has anyone else been in this situation or know anyone who has? If so how has it worked out? Does anyone know of any way to shorter this quarantine period?

Any suggestions or help would be grateful,

Thanks alot,

Michelle

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

It sounds like you'll have to put him through it. Have you looked up whether you can get pet passports in Turkey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Nala wrote:
    It sounds like you'll have to put him through it. Have you looked up whether you can get pet passports in Turkey?

Thanks,

I have checked that out but unfortunately Turkey does not qualify for the pet passport scheme..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

Hi,

There seems to be no exceptions to this 6 month quarantine rule.. unless we build a quarantine facility ourselves and stay at home 24 hours a day to run it :confused: surely possible for the average joe

Michelle,
    I would try and get more info on this.It's my understanding the quarantaine facility can be a completly locked garden.Otherwise you don't have a choice than to put him through.I know you can visit him anyway.
    cheers

JB1 wrote:
    It's my understanding the quarantaine facility can be a completly locked garden.Otherwise you don't have a choice than to put him through.I know you can visit him anyway.
    cheers

Hi,

I've attached the private quarantine facility guidelines. I'll be renting a house outside Dublin and don't know if I can get this built up, even if I could, the 24 on duty thing is pretty much impossible with work and uni...

When calling the offices of the department of agriculture I always get less than helpful staff.. I will ring them yet again and ask about the completely locked garden. I could always try to get the conditions met and put him into my parents place (big garden)

visiting consists of 1 hour per week only..

thanks,

Is there any way around it like going to Greece or Germany and then getting a pet passport?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

Maybe you could call a local vet rather that the dep of Ag?
    They might know exactly what to do.
    Where abouts in Dublin are you moving to?
    You can also PM me, I live in dublin as well maybe i can help?
    cheers

Is there any way around it like going to Greece or Germany and then getting a pet passport?

I believe he needs to be quarantined in Germany also, not sure about Greece.. Even if he did not need to be quarantined in another country though, Irish rules state that a 6 month blood test be done and he be certified free of rabies prior to his entry to the country (for qualifying countries like Greece etc) and also he must not have been in any non qualifying country for at least 6 months prior to entry into Ireland... I'm not sure if they can just give out the pet passport either... I think the dog has to be resident in the country where the pet passport is given?

the whole lot is here if anyone would like to have a read

I'll talk with a local here in Limerick tomorrow about it and try something that way..

Thanks everyone for the replys

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

You could try contacting www.gsaireland.com they will tell you quicker than the department of agriculture.

Thanks,

I have emailed them and am waiting for a reply..

the local vets I spoke to have no idea about what is required for quarantine and while helpful - they offered to contact the department for me - I'm sure they'll be told the same thing as I was told.

Advertisement