Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dervish in the Eurovision

Options
  • 09-05-2007 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Dervish (Sligo based band) are representing Ireland in the Eurovision this Saturday.
    What do you think their chances are of winning? Has anyone heard them live?

I don't think the song is hectic, I find her voice a bit unclear at times, but I hope they get into the top 10 at least. Plus it's good publicity for Sligo and the N. West!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Im a huge trad fan, but I can't stand Cathy Jordans singing. I think were screwed, not that I care all that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I've never heard Dervish. Are they really that bad? Can't possibly be as bad as the England entry though in fairness! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Dervish are a good band, but everything the eurovision touches turns to muck, its a terrible song.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

They are a good trad band and great live. Theres some of them based in leitrim as well (nice bit of unity there) as too are Kila!
    The song was even worse, they worked on it. Toned down John Watters desperate lyrics and have more instrumental parts which can only be good. Anyway their performance couldnt be as bad as Brian kennedy kneeling on one knee last year :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Irland, nul points.

They're Eurovision suicide.

When will we just give up on taking the Eurovision seriously and throw in some scantily clad, cartwheeling, good looking girls in celtic-looking attire in the background supporting a singer(also dressed like a celt) singing some generic song over a repetivive background track consisting of trad music with a steady electronic beat?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Don't think we have any hope of winning. I don't think it's the kind of song that wins Eurovision...

I'd suggest a metal band, but that is soo last year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

To be honest I think the singer sounds like an auld wan in the pub at closing time. Nul pints from me.
    My lovely horse would have done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

bring back johnny logan & jump the gun for a duet.

That should get all you eurovision buffs on the google.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

magnumlady wrote:
    To be honest I think the singer sounds like an auld wan in the pub at closing time.
    They used to own a pub in town? Could have been her!
    Sure if we donnt win this year we can send Those Nervous Animals up nxt year. And the year after, Westlife doing a duet with Johonny Logan might be a safer bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭MikeTheMan

Same as that.
    don't think we will be getting very many point this year.

There is a song from Switzerland about vampires which will do fairly well. PLus I agree what JC_2K3 has said above.

Regards,
    M

• Advertisement

I've been reading a bit about Dervish in the Weekender (I'm about to put my foot through the telly because they keep playing the blooming song, anyway I digress).
    Back to the weekender article, I just found it amusing that one of the lads in Dervish is called Tom Morrow. Wonder if thats his real name?
    You can tell I have very little to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

One of the dj's on Highland Radio has promised to present his morning breakfast show in the nude if Dervish win the Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

JC 2K3 wrote:

When will we just give up on taking the Eurovision seriously and throw in some scantily clad, cartwheeling, good looking girls in celtic-looking attire in the background supporting a singer(also dressed like a celt) singing some generic song over a repetivive background track consisting of trad music with a steady electronic beat?

yep that'd win maybe a rubber Chuculainn mask as well just to finish off the right look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Dervish are doomed to failure because they're absolutely crap, no other way of describing this mess of a band and a song that we're sending to the eurovision. But has anyone heard the U.K entry? I saw it on TV last night and it hurt my ears so much, I want to track each member of that group down and beat them to death with their own shoes.

DarkJager wrote:
    Dervish are doomed to failure because they're absolutely crap, no other way of describing this mess of a band and a song that we're sending to the eurovision. But has anyone heard the U.K entry? I saw it on TV last night and it hurt my ears so much, I want to track each member of that group down and beat them to death with their own shoes.
    Why not kidnap them, tie them up and make them listen to their own song for 2 hours. :D

TBH it would be a bonus if you could do the same to Dervish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

yeah, the UK's entry is awful- very camp. I think they'll do worse than Ireland.
    I think Ireland's entry should have a young woman singing a powerful irishy / romantic ballad with backing singers, a la Eimear Quinn, Niamh Cavanagh or Linda Martin.
    A pop style entry hasn't worked (McCauls) and the male solo singer hasn't worked (Mickey Harte, Brian Kennedy etc.)

I have to say (and don't shoot me) I think the UK entry will do quite well. Its very camp and kind of catchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I heard the song on the Late Late last Friday night and thought it was brilliant. Its a good Irish song. I think we should stick to our culture when sending songs to Eurovision even if we do finish last.
    There is no tradition in the country anymore, we are becoming too Americianised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

No the UK group are going to come out of this with 0 points. Its the very very worst kind of sugary, ass bandit pop music there is done by 2 transexuals and 2 men who really really want to be women. Its not catchy, its not clever......its an absolute steaming pile of **** that deserves to fail miserably.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

muffler wrote:
    One of the dj's on Highland Radio has promised to present his morning breakfast show in the nude if Dervish win the Eurovision.
    How can you be sure that he doesn't do so every day regardless? :D

• Advertisement

byte wrote:
    How can you be sure that he doesn't do so every day regardless? :D
    Good question byte. They still never got round to putting a live web cam in the studio yet and maybe thats the reason ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

muffler wrote:

God I hope it wasn't Don O'Doherty. :D

Oh dear they came last.

What a disaster :(
    I can see why they came last, not just because they were on early but it was instantly forgetable- the stage design was really poor, the costumes / dress was boring, there was no lighting effects, no strong instrumentation, and no choreography (It was like they didn't know where to stand, especially Cathy). I also thought her voice was a bit wobbly at the start. It all added up to a bad performance

And another career is destroyed by the monster that is the Eurovision....

I wonder will they ever live it down. Their name will now be synonymous with coming last for Ireland in the Eurovision

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53231243#post53231243

Well this is one of a few threads on boards on it already, so you can imagine its gone down well so far!

I'm sure they'll still have their fans that like that kind of music. Not for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

I didn't see the Eurovision. But a friend sent me this, pretty funny! :)
    Having finished in last place with 5 points RTE (Ireland's National TV station) have decided to get serious about the eurovision song contest again and already have put forward next years entry. Here is a link to next year's entry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCbuRA_D3KU&mode=related&search=

• Advertisement

bettlebrox wrote:
    I didn't see the Eurovision. But a friend sent me this, pretty funny! :)
    Having finished in last place with 5 points RTE (Ireland's National TV station) have decided to get serious about the eurovision song contest again and already have put forward next years entry. Here is a link to next year's entry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCbuRA_D3KU&mode=related&search=
    Classic :D

Advertisement