Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murrayisms

Options
  • 09-05-2007 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Murray Walker is the guy who used to do commentating for Formula 1. Some memorable quotes:

"Now we go into lap 53, the penultimate last lap but one."
    "Excuse me while I interrupt myself..."
    "And at last he passes... No! He's off! I thought he was going to pass but he's overshot!"
    "With half the race gone, there's half the race still to go."
    "If the gloves weren't off before—and they were—they sure are now!"
    "That's a good pitstop. Just under 10 seconds. Call it 9.7 in round figures."
    "Now he must not go the wrong way round the circuit and unless he can spin himself stationary through 360 degrees I fail to see how he can avoid doing so."
    "Now Laffite is as close to Surer as Surer is to Laffite."
    "There's a difference of only one second between these two cars ...one... that's how long a second is"
    "I should imagine that the conditions in those cars are totally unimaginable."
    " 'If' is a very long word in Formula One; in fact, 'if' is F1 spelled backwards."
    " Watch the lights appear to countdown the start! —One light! —Two lights! —Three lights! —Four lights! —Five laps!"
    Describing his commentary style: "I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong."
    "The interesting thing about this circuit is that it has inclines; not just up, but down as well."
    "This has been a mediocre season for Nelson Piquet, as he is now known, and always has been."
    "And the track temperature has in fact risen in degrees!"
    "And here comes Damon Hill in the William. This car is absolutely unique—except for the one following it, which is identical."
    "Do my eyes deceive me or is Senna's Lotus sounding a bit rough?"
    "Tambay's hopes, which were nil before, are now absolutely zero."
    "You can't see the digital clock, because there isn't one."
    "There are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he goes into the Swimming Pool!" (The "Swimming Pool" is a chicane section on the Monaco F1 circuit.) Co-commentator James Hunt replied: "That should put them out then!"
    "Mansell is gazing at Prost through his earphones!"
    "And now the boot is on the other Schumacher."
    On how hot tyres become during a race: "I don't know what that is in degrees, but it's damned hot."
    "...and for great driving, watch this!" A moment later the car Walker is watching fails to turn into a corner, crashes into a tyre barrier and is out of the race.
    "Unless I'm very much mistaken... I am very much mistaken!" (Apocryphal, but used on T-shirts made by the Murray Walker Appreciation Society)
    "And it's a sad ending, albeit a happy one, at Montreal for today's Grand Prix"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jay_haych

i miss murray walker, that james allen is useless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

"You're right there Murray!"

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭keltoms

oh that man was a legend!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Murray Walker, what a legend :p

Advertisement