Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY frozen chips

• 09-05-2007 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the secret is to frozen DIY chips? I'd love to be able to make chips at the weekend, freeze them and then take them out as needed. If I try to thaw them in warm water, they just go floppy. I did try to dry them out before I froze them as I thought that, by water expanding when it freezes, it would have damaged the chips (at a Heston-Blumenthal level anyway :) ). The the fact that they are floppy, suggests that they have taken on too much water.

The wife's away for the next 1.5 weeks so I'm going to experiment but I'd be willing to entertain any suggestions.

I'm going to go ahead with the floppy chips and see what happens. You never know, I might have a cornflake moment and make some accidental discovery.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

OK. So part-cooking (in oven or oil) appears to be the secret. I'll give that a spin.

Thanks crosstownk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yep - AFAIK it's called 'blanching'. This is what happens to the regular frozen chips you buy in the supermarket.

But, the best chips I've ever tasted are those done from freshly chipped potatoes but you gotta lower the temperature of the deep fat fryer or it will bubble over due to the water content of freshly chipped spuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Well familiar with blanching. I'd thought that's what they'd done with oven-ready chips alright. But it never crossed my mind that the frozen chip brigade also applied that strategy.

After having a few close calls with freshly rinsed chips, we now adhere to the practice of drying chips off in a tea towel before cooking them. Now deep fried chips are considerably less of a health risk. At least, on a short term basis.

Tnx again

Advertisement