Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self tapping Tap for Water barrel

• 09-05-2007 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

HI all

Anyone know if you can get such a thing as a self tapping tap (plastic tap) that can be push into a water barrel. I have a large blue plastic container but it needs a tap at the bottom. There are two small screw holes at the top and I dont want to cut the top off to put a tap/bolt on.

any Ideas???

Garyh3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Yes, I have done the same thing, not a twisty tap but a plastic lever type thing.I got it in woddys or atlantic, it didn't have threads, so I drilled a hole in the barrell,pushed the tap in and siliconed it. Workes fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

thanks dubtom

I looked in Woodies could not find any plastic taps that would do the job.!

I woulder if home base would have them ??????

Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

how about sending these guys an email and ask them what's available ...... I can't see a fitting on their web pages of the type you want but they say if they don't have a suitable fitting they can tell you where to get one ....

http://www.smithsofthedean.co.uk/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Can't remeber exactly where I got it, you could try a brooks thomas if there is one near you, they have a large plumbing section, actually any plumbing supplier should have something that would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

this may be of little or no use to you but anyway.

behind the Bray Dart station there is a little market (it was there up to 6 months ago anyway) there is a stall just inside the door. the guy has plastic taps for about 1 euro, looks like a 25mm lock nut would secure it, not self tapping, and maybe you can't get into the container to secure a lock nut from the back, but as descirbed above, if you were careful enoght with the perfect hole you make, the threads would catch in a plastic container and a bit of sealing and you'd be away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jimarmour

garyh3 wrote: »
    HI all

Anyone know if you can get such a thing as a self tapping tap (plastic tap) that can be push into a water barrel. I have a large blue plastic container but it needs a tap at the bottom. There are two small screw holes at the top and I dont want to cut the top off to put a tap/bolt on.

any Ideas???

Garyh3

Did you get anywhere with this Gary. 5 years on and I have the same problem! Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Patrick Hunt

I have heard they do exist from a friend. Surely there would be enough of an interest for making these. Hopefully won,t take 5 years to figure this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

B&Q do water butt taps for about a fiver.. They are usually stored outside with the water butts etc..

Just drill a hole in the barrel and fit.

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-care-watering/watering-irrigation/water_butts___accessories/-specificproducttype-water_butt_taps/Sankey-Waterbutt-Spare-Tap-Black-9218467

Edit - I missed that the OP didnt want to cut the top off... So the B&Q tap isnt exactly whats needed, but might work if fixed with some Tech 7 or similar sealant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

The thread is 5 years old lads id say if the op didnt find one in a shop he would have invented one at this stage

Advertisement