Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invasion of the txters

Options
  • 09-05-2007 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Originally Posted by *lil fairy*
    by reading the sentence u wrote.......u cud of got such a good answer out of it! i mean u no bout her.......y waste a whole line of paper on her gasing herself.........thats what makes her interestin in my opinion! sylvia was genius!

u'l av pissed d examiner off real bad too! u shud of waffled on!

nd last word! : Sylvia is klass cos she was depressed so u can babble so much bout how depressin her poetry is! nd wat it al means underneath it al!

agree r disagree theliam!?

I copied this post from another thread, where members were giving advise to a user as to how he could improve his poetry response for the English leaving cert exam. I found it quite ironic that the above poster was giving advise on English considering 80% (just a random figure chosen by moi) of the words used in his/her post are not even in the English dictionary. So what I wanted to ask is whether or not people think texting, using the spelling method above, is hindering our ability to express ourselves properly, efficiently and eloquently during exams and everyday life etc?

P.S: This is not an attack on...ahem...*lil fairy* (it kills me to even type it). I am using this post to highlight the frequent use of 'texting speech' in modern day life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I don't see the whole point of txt speak tbh (yes, i am aware that tbh is txt speak, it's an exception). Like, it takes longer to write a text with txt speak than it does to spell the words properly through predictive text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Tbh isn't txtspk, tbh. It orginated on the interwebs, just like imho, iirc, afaik, and that lot.

Also, people using txtspk makes me wish eugenics wasn;t against EU law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I copied this post from another thread, where members were giving advise to a user as to how he could improve his poetry response for the English leaving cert exam. I found it quite ironic that the above poster was giving advise on English considering 80% (just a random figure chosen by moi) of the words used in his/her post are not even in the English dictionary. So what I wanted to ask is whether or not people think texting, using the spelling method above, is hindering our ability to express ourselves properly, efficiently and eloquently during exams and everyday life etc?

P.S: This is not an attack on...ahem...*lil fairy* (it kills me to even type it). I am using this post to highlight the frequent use of 'texting speech' in modern day life.

Marry me?

Yeah, txtspeak is pretty damn irritating, makes things harder to read and its pretty pointless.

However, I thought this was going to be a thread about people texting during After School Study :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

txtspeak is also text speak! I hate when any message or typing is riddled with it, it unneccissarily hurts my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well the chief examiner did remark last year that an increasing number of candidates were substituting in text speak for common words but while I do think it's a problem, I only think that it affects a small minority of students who have a poor command of the language to begin with. Those who are well able to express themselves in written form should have no problem in blocking out text speak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Hmm.. I hate when people type in "txt spk" on the internet. On a phone it can be understood why it is used (two messages DO take longer to go through to another phone than one) but still, I don't use it to a large extent.

I use lol and lmao on the internet though. 'Cause I'm that 1337.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

1337? I'm completely useless at this stuff!!:o

The amount of times I am able to confuse people per second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

turn it upside down and it's "leet" meaning elite. Refers to puritan webspeak in which most (or if it's a really skilled speaker, all) normal characters are replaced by strange ones. /\/ for N etc.

However, people often incorrectly refer to abbreviations originating on the web (tbh for example) as leetspeak, this is not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

cocoa wrote:
    turn it upside down and it's "leet" meaning elite. Refers to puritan webspeak in which most (or if it's a really skilled speaker, all) normal characters are replaced by strange ones. /\/ for N etc.
    QUOTE]

Now I've heard it all!!!:eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

cocoa wrote:

However, people often incorrectly refer to abbreviations originating on the web (tbh for example) as leetspeak, this is not true.
    Right, you seem to know yer **** about internet talk so could you translate these two please (or anyone else for the matter):

FTW
    AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

AFAIK - As far as I know.
    FTF? Unaware of that one.
    FTW - For the win.
    IIRC - If I recall correctly.

There's a few to keep you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Well, I guess I'm in no position to speak on this topic, considering my name, but I definitly agree that text speak is ruining our english skills in general...people in school are constantly corrected for using "u" and "txt" and the like in their essays...though I do think that text speak is the most practical when writing an actual text, I hate having to read it on the boards...it hurts my brain!! :)

Rozabeez wrote:
    AFAIK - As far as I know.
    FTF? Unaware of that one.
    FTW - For the win.
    IIRC - If I recall correctly.

There's a few to keep you going.
    FTF was a typo. Sorry and cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

FTF was a typo. Sorry and cheers.
    so was pwn but it stuck :P

(for those of you out of the know, to own someone in gaming circles is to beat them quite well, pwn was a typo but, oddly, was adopted a tongue in cheek way of saying own)

....Upside down? What? It looks like leet as is, 3 stands in for e in 13375P34K.

Which is also pretty stupid, by the by

pwned bitch! ah how I miss counterstrike :(

gg - good game

I think it's hilarious someone would use "u" in an english essay! Unless it's in context I suppose but I personally wouldn't use it

Raphael wrote:
    ....Upside down? What? It looks like leet as is, 3 stands in for e in 13375P34K.

Which is also pretty stupid, by the by

Yeah you're right, but what is also pretty stupid is "by the by". That always has gotten on my nerves :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

How about when your parents use it! Embarrassing to say the least.

I fear for grammar standards in this country if Bebo is anything to go by. Honestly some of the home pages could be written in code for all that could be understood on them. Madness, sheer madness.

*Reaches for pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

cocoa wrote:
    so was pwn but it stuck :P

Ever heard of Phrack World News?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

cson wrote:
    I fear for grammar standards in this country if Bebo is anything to go by. Honestly some of the home pages could be written in code for all that could be understood on them. Madness, sheer madness.

*Reaches for pipe

Youngsters these days!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

wrote:
    klass

Honestly, what the **** is the point of this? There's no reason to replace the 'c' with a 'k' there, buffoonery.

As for textspeak, I've nothing against the odd 'u' or missing out of vowels, but I never bother to use it myself, the aul T9 is lightning fast enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

Rozabeez wrote:
    Marry me?

Yeah, txtspeak is pretty damn irritating, makes things harder to read and its pretty pointless.

However, I thought this was going to be a thread about people texting during After School Study :p
    yeah goddamn ''under the desk texters''- its v distracting i find!!

^Now that's stupid. Pay attention to your own work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shaner-B

cmon this isnt peoples inability 2 express themselves, most people are quite able 2 express themselves when needed. but this site is informal, so who cares when people start writing with txt speech!?i dont think they're actually going 2 write in d same fashion in d LC!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Shaner-B wrote:
    but this site is informal, so who cares when people start writing with txt speech!?

I think you'll find it's not really tolerated that much around here. - Respect to be honest with you.

If you write with good grammar and structure here it'll only benefit your writing in the leaving cert and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

When people use it when there is adequate space to write in a coherent way I don't see why? I find txt spk to be so awkard to read. I only use it in texts when texting non Meteor friends( <3 Meteor ). You won't be taken seriously on here if writing in that manner, no matter how informal this place is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Shaner-B wrote:
    cmon this isnt peoples inability 2 express themselves, most people are quite able 2 express themselves when needed. but this site is informal, so who cares when people start writing with txt speech!?i dont think they're actually going 2 write in d same fashion in d LC!!!

Txt speak is heavily frowned upon on most forums actually, and pretty much everywhere else that's not a text message. I would say it is your inability to express yourself, purely because I see no reason why you would use it here. Typing on a keyboard specially designed for proper typing no less :rolleyes:

Shaner-B wrote:
    who cares when people start writing with txt speech!?
    *raises hand*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Raphael wrote:
    *raises hand*
    Me too

Advertisement