Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor performance?

• 09-05-2007 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Hey chaps,

Just slapped in my 8800GTX into my 170 optyand decided to run 3dmark, as its the only thing i have on the pc.

I got 32000 in 3dmark 06

and 6063 in 3dmark 06:

http://service.futuremark.com/orb/resultanalyzer.jsp?projectType=14&XLID=0&UID=9188122

Cpu/ram/gpu are all at stock speeds. No overclocking at all.

Is it just me or do them speeds seem to be a bit on the slow side. I know the opty is a older chip now, but i plan to have it back running at 2.8ghz later on.

Should i be concerned? As a 1950pro was getting me these speeds almost.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Umm i'm asuming the first score is 3dmark05?
    Dunno but i have heard that 3dmark06 is heavily cpu based.
    I got better than that with an e6700 and an x1950pro. was your x1950pro score with this opty machine too?
    A bit miffed that future mark rated my setup against quadcore 6700's. which get much higher scores. 3dmark 06 cpu test is designed for multi cores too. so more cores better score. If your 8800gtx is getting a similar score to an x1950pro in the same machine i'd say it's probably more to do with crappy 3dmark software than your GTX. Try a game on it see how it plays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Toolbag

Strange indeed, how does that opteron compare to an e6600 @ 3GHz ? could it be holding back the 8800 or should you see a definite increase anyway?
    Maybe it's hogging too much power from your PSU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I got pissed off with ****ty results, So i have upped the cpu to 2.65ghz. And hit the core to 600 and memory to 1000 on the GTX.

I also have a extra 2gb of ram here for this pc, but when all 2gb ar ein the system wont boot, yet it is fine running either pair.

Anyway:

testhz3.th.jpg

Oh yes. That 32000 up there is meant to be 23000. Now with the overclock i hit almost 30000:

http://service.futuremark.com/orb/resultanalyzer.jsp?projectType=10&XLID=0&UID=9191357

Still not happy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Im downloading 3DMARK06 now ill post up scores once I run it.. Give me about 15 mins

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement

Bah. Im gonna reinstall windows.

lol.. Im using vista I expect that would lower my score?

My GTX is the overclocked one as well...

Yeah, i have mine overclocked to your speeds already. Also my cpu is without a doubt much slower. I will push for 3ghz tomorrow.

• Advertisement

The pc is performing how you want it to perform other than the score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Could Vista be affecting 3D Mark performance? Could the aero interface be holding you back somewhat? Or maybe a driver issue?

I dont see any like performance dips with vista at all.. I think its all hype tbh!

Just noticed, the opty is running off one core, and not two :eek:

Do another TEST QUICK QUICK QUICK :D

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Anti wrote:
    Just noticed, the opty is running off one core, and not two :eek:

Dualcore patch and Amd drivers and reg tweak?

conzymaher wrote:
    Dualcore patch and Amd drivers and reg tweak?

Im pretty sure i have them all, I didnt install the cool & quiet drivers, as i found they gave huge problems when overclocking.

Whats the exact link for the dualcore patch? As i can find about 4 different ones.

And whats this reg tweak you speak of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Joeface

not sure this will help , but if you use aquamark while ur tweaking at system , it shows the gain in GFX as well as in the CPU , 3dmark seems to be just the really display a GFX score , I know this is what ur actuall looking for but while your tweaking away at the cpu , it will show any gain and then the point where u start to loose , on my own system AMD 3800x2 , scores started to drop after i went over 2.5ghz, 2.45 seems to be a nice sweet spot....must 3dmark it now

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=474&card2=466

DeafVision wrote:
    I dont see any like performance dips with vista at all.. I think its all hype tbh!

Performance dips compared to what? Have you done any benchmarking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

that's really bad... even with CPU bottlenecking you should be hitting around 8000 in '06.

This is what i'm getting with my sig rig with a 7900 GTX. It might just be a driver issue in Vista. I wouldn't worry too much about it if you aren't seeing any drop in performance in games. Don't go reinstalling Vista for the sake of better 3Dmark scores.

08.jpg

• Advertisement

Im actually using xp, just a vista front end. Yeah, atm im still using the standard drivers that came with the EVGA card. Also overclocked it to 600/1000 thats where i got just under 7000. Ill try the newest drivers i downloaded last night. Also i know the extra gb of ram will help a bit. but the system wont boot with all 4 slots filled. But whats worrying more is that task manager is only showing one core......

I hope i havent killed the cpu some how :(

And also when installing the GTX when i pushed it down it snapped the mounting bracket for hy hr-sli 05. So the stock(noisy) dfi cooler is back on and the chipset temp has gone from 32c load to 52c load :(

ANyone notice a problem in the below screenshot?

problemkv4.th.jpg

I have installed the dual core optimiser, the windows hotfix. edited the boot.ini with /usepmtimer.
    boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /bootlogo /usepmtimer

Did the reg tweak too.
    Originally Posted by Microsoft.com
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    2. Right-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, point to New, and then click Key.
    3. Type Throttle for the new key name.
    4. Right-click Throttle, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    5. Type PerfEnablePackageIdle for the value name.
    6. Right-click PerfEnablePackageIdle, and then click Modify.
    7. In the Value data box, type 0. Make sure that Hexadecimal is selected in the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, and then click OK.
    Note You can type 1 in the Value data box to enable the new performance state policy behavior.
    8. Quit Registry Editor.

Also just installed the newest drivers for the card, but at the end of the install where it asks to reboot or not the ati installer popped up. I hit cancel right away. Did a search for ati*.*exe And found nothing.

Also when trying to install certain things windows is saying i dont have sp2 installed. But the install cd i used has sp2 on it.

Grr much more of this and im gonna go postal......:rolleyes:

*edit*

New 3dmark 06 score:

http://service.futuremark.com/orb/resultanalyzer.jsp?projectType=14&XLID=0&UID=9201356

2.75ghz (1core) 620/1010 (8800gtx)

Follow this guide, Xp doesnt properly support Dual core CPUs unless it setup like that...

Without the patch / fix single threaded performance can be affected too...

I bet you will see much higher scores if you setup your xp properly, you havent used AMD dual core optimizer yet? :/

P.s Im not sure if you need to use the AMD dual core optimizer, if you are using the latest windows patch... It was a slightly different setup for my C2D...

image023.jpg

Have done that, gpt the amd driver, But cant get the hotfix. IT says i need sp2 installed. But windows update says i have sp2 :/

Ive restored the registry to a backup from where things were grand, system restored. reinstalled all the drivers again. And the same problem. Any ideas abotu this without reinstalling?

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Performance dips compared to what? Have you done any benchmarking?

I got a 10821 in 3DMARK06! All my games play perfectly F.E.A.R which I thought would play crap was perfect its a fair good game aswell actually I had my doubts before hand!

Im not doubting your score, you have an extremely high end system, but you cant say Vista doesnt incur a performance penalty if you havent run your system under windows xp with the latest drivers and then played fear. You have no basis for comparison.

All evidence I have seen/read points towards Vista causing games to suffer, from mild FPS to drops to more severe ones

And FEAR isnt the hog it used to be, your 8800GTX needs a more demanding foe, like supreme commander.

Anyway, according to extremetech.com, FEAR doesnt suffer under Vista much with an 8800 card:
    Vista Performance Drop 1280x1024 1920x1200 1920x1200 4x8x
    GeForce 7950 GT 4.60% 3.39% 8.33%
    GeForce 8800 GTS +.93% +1.18% 3.92%
    Radeon X1950 XTX 8.42% 11.27% 10.20%

"Again, we have an interesting situation where the GeForce 8800 card runs just a tiny bit faster under Vista at 1280x1024 and 1920x1200. The GeForce 7950 GT keeps the performance hit under 5% at these resolutions, too. ATI has a little work to do, but there are no massive drops as we saw in some other titles. Nvidia loses a little of its punch at 1920x1200 with AA and AF turned on, but ATI is still doing worse"

That screenshot is very wierd...

CPU-Z and Task Manager recognise it as a single-core CPU?!

There is something very wrong with the CPU im guessing :(

P.s Give TinyXP a go, its an Nlited copy of XP with an automated installer, very handeh :)

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Im not doubting your score, you have an extremely high end system, but you cant say Vista doesnt incur a performance penalty if you havent run your system under windows xp with the latest drivers and then played fear. You have no basis for comparison.

All evidence I have seen/read points towards Vista causing games to suffer, from mild FPS to drops to more severe ones

And FEAR isnt the hog it used to be, your 8800GTX needs a more demanding foe, like supreme commander.

Anyway, according to extremetech.com, FEAR doesnt suffer under Vista much with an 8800 card:
    Vista Performance Drop 1280x1024 1920x1200 1920x1200 4x8x
    GeForce 7950 GT 4.60% 3.39% 8.33%
    GeForce 8800 GTS +.93% +1.18% 3.92%
    Radeon X1950 XTX 8.42% 11.27% 10.20%

"Again, we have an interesting situation where the GeForce 8800 card runs just a tiny bit faster under Vista at 1280x1024 and 1920x1200. The GeForce 7950 GT keeps the performance hit under 5% at these resolutions, too. ATI has a little work to do, but there are no massive drops as we saw in some other titles. Nvidia loses a little of its punch at 1920x1200 with AA and AF turned on, but ATI is still doing worse"

Could and most likely be the fact I had a really bad pc before hand and that now ive a good pc I dont notice the difference... say someone who had been playing games perfectly went from xp to vista? They would notice it!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Is there an option in your BIOS to enable multicores? Can you boot off a linux live cd and see how many cores are detected?

...and for the love of god, the 3dMark compare links that you should be attaching, are the ones I have in the black boxes here:

comparelinkbc0.jpg

and it should look like this:
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=1891072

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply, I have a live cd at home and will try that tonight.

Advertisement