Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uAtx psu...?

Options
  • 09-05-2007 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Packard Bell machine in my room that apparently has an uatx psu - any idea where I'd get one? Is it just a regular micro atx psu? The only 'uatx' one I could find on komplett is an fsp one - the same as the one it has now, except its only 200w as opposed to 250w so I can't go that low down. It has a main 20 pin connection to the board but I think it also has another sort of cable plugged into it that looks sort of like a floppy power cable - but I did think the likes of Hp and Dell stopped using non-standard parts ages ago...

It's only 3 months old but lately the psu has been making a weird sound - not a clicking sound, but a very low, kind of hum/buzz thing.....I'd rather just get a new psu myself then have to bring it back to - shudder - pc world if it finally goes - I've got alot of stuff in the machine so I don't want to risk loosing it all by waiting till it goes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

I'd say the best thing to do would be back it up and bring it back. Seeing as it's fairly new you shouldnt have much trouble gettin it sorted. But that would be conditional on them actually seeing it as a problem. As for the connections i'm pretty sure that they have to be standard across all pcs, only things that could differ would be the dimensions of the box.
    Do you have an extra HD lying around? If not i'm sure PC world could be convinced to back it up for you or you could ask around here for a lend of one. I would also suggest using Ghosting software to copy your drive as it would mean an identical copy of your drive and then no reinstalling later.
    Also have you tried Packard Bells support lines or website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah I'm quite sure its just a regular micro ATX PSU seeing as that strange u stands for Micro.

check this out.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45516&doy=9m5&C=SO&U=strat15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No I meant physically I have a good bit of stuff in there, there's nothing of value on the hard drive....the machine is used for nothing but lan games. :D

I have changed the processor though, added a graphics card, added more ram, some other misc stuff, and the last thing I want is to risk any of it by waiting until the psu goes bang and potenially fry something else. I'm not quite sure about bringing it back just yet, for PC World to do anything, it'd probably have to burst into flames to satisfy their general imcompetence and ethics of 'If it doesn't look broken then it isn't'. Plus they'd probably tell me so much as sneaking a sideways glance at the case voids the warranty...:rolleyes:

If it's just a regular matx psu then I'm not too worried...although again I'll have to check out that thing that looked like an extra non-standard connection to the mobo...

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

LOL. well in that case i'd say adding all that new hardware has probably , along with voiding you warranty, overstressed the PSU and if you're upgradeing it get a higher wattage.
    Maybe this...
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-012-EN&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=

Advertisement