Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile radio for road trip

Options
  • 09-05-2007 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

hi guys i dont know if im in the right place but...

im going on the funball rally accross europe next year and maybe a trip to germany this september, both of which i will be driving in convoy with friends,so we need to keep in touch, which brings me to my question.

what kind of radios would suit this trip, im looking for something cheap with a good enough range, should i go mobile or car based? where are the best places to buy them??

im a total noob when it comes to this so if there is anything im missing give us a shout, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Mobile (i.e. handheld) would be cheaper and easier tbh.

If you were going for CB type gear, you'd be looking at wiring the radio into your car's electrical system, and then putting up what's known as a magmount on your roof (a CB antenna with a magnetic base, similiar to what the taximen use).

PMR is what you're after, these would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Those little handhelds are the right job if your looking for handheld stuff.. but if it was me id go for a cb.. small 40 box or something, and a magmount.. simply for the longer range, and also the chance to have a bit of banter along the way passing through towns.. you might pick up a few other cb'ers along the way for a chinwag..
    :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'd also go along with PMR 446 radios depending on what range you're looking for - used in a car I'd say you'd get up to a mile or so from them.

If you definitely need more range, CB is probably the best bet, but you're into more money and hassle there because as RM pointed out, you've to wire the set into your car and use a magmount antenna.

PMR sets are available in loads of places - Argos and Maplin definitely have them, but I've seen them sold in loads of other places. If you're using them in the car a lot, you might want to enquire if you can get car chargers for the ones you buy, otherwise you'll need to make sure you charge them overnight whereever you stay, or bring plenty of spare batteries.

Advertisement