Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying dry on a bike? Clothing.

Options
  • 09-05-2007 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Well, the last two days have let me soaked after cycling home from work. It's only a very short cycle, but still, I don't like being wet. I own two "waterproof" jackets, both Gortex, yet after less than a year of usage, they're no longer waterproof.
    What I'm looking for is something that's completely water proof, will cover top and bottom (separately if possible), have a hood, be breathable so I don't sweat up a storm, and not look ridiculous. Price wise, I'm flexible.

Any help is appreciated guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I actually gave up on the idea of staying dry. Now I use a waterproof rucksack. In the morning I carry my work clothes and a spare set of old duds (read trakkie bottoms, probably with holes and oil stains) in and change at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Ah there's gotta be something! I could change yeah, but it means leaving earlier to get into work, an I don't like being in the building for any longer than is physcially necessary ;) I was thinking a jumpsuit, but that would look ridiculous. Just need something light, breathable and waterproof! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Have you considered Hewman Skinn (TM)?

It fits all the categories: light, breathable and completely waterproof. Slip into a suit of Hewmann Skinn each morning before you mount your bicycle and rinse it off with a little soap or light detergent each evening when you get home. Hewmann Skinn is durable and, best of all, comes equipped with Easi-Gro technology which allows it to expand and adapt to the bodyshape of the user.

Ask for it by name: Hewmann Skinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Have you considered Hewman Skinn (TM)?

It fits all the categories: light, breathable and completely waterproof. Slip into a suit of Hewmann Skinn each morning before you mount your bicycle and rinse it off with a little soap or light detergent each evening when you get home. Hewmann Skinn is durable and, best of all, comes equipped with Easi-Gro technology which allows it to expand and adapt to the bodyshape of the user.

Ask for it by name: Hewmann Skinn.

That's really very funny :D

OP, I have a mountain jacket that cost me €450 a while ago, top of the line yoke....After I've used it around 6 or 7 times it's no longer waterproof . I then have to re-proof it, by washing it carefully and drying it in a tumble dryer. Then it's spot on again.....Sounds stupid, but that's what the manufacturers say, and that's what works perfectly. You might want to check what the deal is with re-proofing your own Goretex kit, because it sounds like you might be expecting more from the fabric than you're putting into it. Even NikWax wash in proof should sort you out, but all waterproof kit needs maintenance to stay waterproof.

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

4964.jpg

I have this, made from flexothane. I think dockers use this stuff and US postal workers etc. Pretty breathable lets no wet in, and since it is all in one the top will not rid up your back exposing your waist then hunched over. I was sick of that happening with 2 piece suits. Think it was under €80 delivered to here from the UK from. I cycle fairly fast most of the time and would be sweating a lot with any extra clothing, FAR less sweating than with regular cheapo rain gear. Probably just sweat as much extra as if I had on a light t-shirt top and very thin tracksuit bottoms, I usually just wear a t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms underneath. It has a decent hood too, that can be tucked away if not in use

http://www.safetysupplies.co.uk/trolleyed/22/index.htm

• Advertisement

Gil_Dub wrote:
    That's really very funny :D

OP, I have a mountain jacket that cost me €450 a while ago, top of the line yoke....After I've used it around 6 or 7 times it's no longer waterproof . I then have to re-proof it, by washing it carefully and drying it in a tumble dryer. Then it's spot on again.....Sounds stupid, but that's what the manufacturers say, and that's what works perfectly. You might want to check what the deal is with re-proofing your own Goretex kit, because it sounds like you might be expecting more from the fabric than you're putting into it. Even NikWax wash in proof should sort you out, but all waterproof kit needs maintenance to stay waterproof.

Gil

Ah see this I didn't know. Every Gortex product I've bought has some waterproof guarantee leaflet attached to it, nothing ever indicated it need maintenance. I have a pair of waterproof gortex shoes that I've owned for the past four years and they don't get taken care, yet they're still completely waterproof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Covenline

I have a "waterproof" Goretex as well, however last week while hill walking i got saturated. I guess it needs to be sprayed with the waterproof spray??

How do you "re- waterproof" a jacket?

I have waterproof leggings which still work great though.

To avoid getting wet, I just bring a change of clothes its the only sure way. my t shirt allways gets real sweaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Covenline wrote:
    I guess it needs to be sprayed with the waterproof spray??

How do you "re- waterproof" a jacket?

Ask in a camping/hillwalking shop, they'll sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

nothing is ever "completely" waterproof, everything will fail after a period. For my commute I change into shorts and a jersey. I carry my clothes in a bag which has a rain cover. If it's sloshing down, then I have an Altura jacket which ain't bad and keeps the top half largely dry. I don't mind getting wet as long as I am warm, it's part and parcel of cycling.
    However changing into shorts and carrying a bag may not be for everyone.
    As regards a hood, I find that they can restrict your view. Better is a hat which will dry quickly, similar to this...
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8949
    that's not the exact one I have, but it's the same make. I think my one uses a lighter material.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I actually gave up on the idea of staying dry. Now I use a waterproof rucksack. In the morning I carry my work clothes and a spare set of old duds (read trakkie bottoms, probably with holes and oil stains) in and change at work.
    I too have stopped carrying waterproof gear. I rarely used it and sweated big time when I did.
    Last year I bought a windproof jacket which keeps me quite dry and is breathable. Overshoes keep my feet quite dry in the rain and warm when it's cold.
    I shower in the office and at home.

I am lucky in that I can take the train most of the way (and jog the remaining 1.5 miles), or work from home if I know the weather is going to be brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

King Raam wrote:
    nothing is ever "completely" waterproof, everything will fail after a period.
    Well no breathable fabric is totally water proof. If full plastic stuff is properly sealed no water will get through it except arm holes etc. i.e. wellington boots are waterproof.

Problem with some of the breathable fabrics is that if it is wet on the outside and dry inside it repels, but once you cross the line (usually with sweat) and the inside is wetter than the outside, the water can start to be sucked from the outside to the inside.

I find the flexothane better than the goretex in this respect.

ruprect wrote:
    Well no breathable fabric is totally water proof. If full plastic stuff is properly sealed no water will get through it except arm holes etc. i.e. wellington boots are waterproof.

fair point. Who's off to get a black sack and some wellies? ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Leaking Gore-Tex
    "My Gore-Tex jacket leaks!" Sometimes we hear this from customers who have spent a lot of money on a Gore-Tex jacket and, after a few years, are surprised to find moisture inside their jacket.
    Although a couple of bad batches of Gore-Tex slipped out a few years ago, modern Gore-Tex almost never leaks. There is a reason for this moisture inside the jacket, but it is almost always caused by something other than leaking.

Gore-Tex is a very thing film of Teflon sandwiched between layers of other material, usually polyester or nylon. The pores of Gore-Tex are too small to allow water droplets to penetrate, but large enough to allow water vapor molecules to dissipate out of the jacket. As in the case of any thin membrane, condensation can occur when there is an extreme temperature gradient and a lot of moisture involved. This usually only occurs with Gore-Tex when a person is involved in strenuous exercise at very cold conditions.

Almost always, we have found that most apparent leaks in Gore-Tex are due to the fact that the Durable Waterproof Finish (DWF) has been worn off the outer part of the fabric allowing the moisture on the outside of the fabric to soak in. When this moisture evaporates, it chills the underlying fabric and causes condensation to occur. It feels just like the jacket leaks, but it has a different cause and it is fixable.

The first thing to try is to iron your jacket on low heat. The heat will draw the remaining DWR finish to the surface, and often will be the only treatment needed to make your jacket waterproof again. If this doesn't work, you will need to wash your jacket carefully using a soap suitable for use on Gore-Tex fabrics, and then re-apply the DWR finish. W. L. Gore recommends Tectron as the preferred DWR finish on their fabrics. With just a little effort your Gore-Tex jacket will perform just like it did when you first purchased it.

@copacetic, thanks! :)

My problem with both jackets I own is that neither are more than 6 months old. It's not sweat either, as my cycle isn't long enough to build up enough sweat to cause the large wet patches I find on my arms and back. I think I'll just try the ironing or re-applying the DWR to the jackets and then pick out a decent pair of rain pants.

what are you wearing underneath the jacket?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

@copacetic, thanks! :)

My problem with both jackets I own is that neither are more than 6 months old. It's not sweat either, as my cycle isn't long enough to build up enough sweat to cause the large wet patches I find on my arms and back. I think I'll just try the ironing or re-applying the DWR to the jackets and then pick out a decent pair of rain pants.

i find that if you wear a bag it tends to compress the layers and rub off the coating quite quickly. could this be it?

Well I wear a messenger bag, but that has only been recently. I have a Columbia winter jacket that I've had for about five months, it was worn regularly, but only through a few heavy downpoors. Never with a bag.
    I have a nike jacket, that's just a very thin layer of fabric with taped seams, I've had it only a few months, and not often would I wear a bag with it. The thing is, it leaks right along the length of the arms as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have an Altura Night Vision Waterproof jacket which works quite well (and is very visible on winter nights) but is certainly quite hot despite it being "breathable" and having plenty of vents. For summer I plan on finding something minimalist that will fold up into a jersey pocket.

Lower half I just wear shorts that just get wet.

In winter I also use BBB waterproof overshoes - these things really work great, shoes completely dry even after a complete downpour. Got the shoes new before the winter and they still look new, thanks to the overshoes, best invention EVAR.

In summer (from around mid-April) I tend to wear sandals which dry out easily.

blorg wrote:
    For summer I plan on finding something minimalist that will fold up into a jersey pocket.
    Last year, just before the Lap the Lough cycle, I bought a sleeveless gilet. The windproof front provided a reasonable water resistance during the multiple showers on the cycle. And it keeps a chill off the chest on windy days. And it packs down to nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I was never really willing to fork out the cash for decent waterproofs, so i cheaped out and bought a pair in dunnes stores... they lasted the guts of a minute and a half..

So nowadays, whenever it looks like it might rain or when www.met.ie says so, i wear shorts and a t-shirt and throw my clothes in a bag with a towel. Sounds stupid, but i find that getting wet directly onto your skin is a lot more comfortable than rain soaking into your trousers/jumper and being with you the whole way into work. Yes, you have to get into work 5 mins early and dry off, but i dont think this is too much of a problem. Just think of the time your saving by commuting anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Interesting post. Rather than start another similar one, I thought I might just hop on here.

I'm looking to get some cycling clothing for my daily commute and double-up as touring gear.

What are the best (on a value for money basis) brands/items for the following categories.

1) Shorts, of the loose fit variety, preferably with some kind of padding.
    2) Gloves with gel pads.
    3) Sunglasses that fit snugly, and don't affect your view of traffic lights, etc.
    4) A good windbreaker type cycling jacket.

Also, on a non-clothing issue I was looking for a good trip computer. Nothing high end or obscenely expensive, but accurate nonetheless.

I have a pair by Lapierre, bought 'em in cycle superstore, but don't use em that much as I only use them for my MTB. I always use the road bike now.
    I did throw em on the other day and they felt a bit wierd after using the tighter ones for ages. I also have a pair of below the knee Cannondale baggie things which were very comfortable, but haven't worn em for ages now.

2) Gloves with gel pads.

Have a pair of fingerless Specialized from Cycleways for a few years now, good pair, cost about 17 E if I remember rightly.

3) Sunglasses that fit snugly, and don't affect your view of traffic lights, etc.

I have a pair of Oakleys, I think they are of this model: http://oakley.com/pd/1224/2500
    Mine are black framed, I love em.

4) A good windbreaker type cycling jacket.

Only have a winter one

5) trip computer. Nothing high end or obscenely expensive, but accurate nonetheless.

I had a topeak panoram for years. It was of the older variety and it lasted well. The GF has had the newer model for a few years too. Have a garmin do-hickey now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I have occasionally found good offers on Altura baggies on merlin cycles, I got mine for half price i think, but it is probably cheaper to get them at the end of the summer/autumn.

2) Gloves with gel pads.

I would recommend going for more expensive gloves. I have purchased both specialized and aldi/lidl ones and the specialized last MUCH longer

If you can I would try and get glasses with no frame on the bottom of the lense

I have a spare pair of Aldi cycling gloves (choice of medium or large) which you are welcome to if you like - send a PM. They are probably not as good as my other gloves but not bad either.

Bear in mind with the shorts (if you are looking for baggy) that you can get padded underwear and wear whatever shorts you like.

Regarding a computer I have a Cateye Mity 3 which has done me very well and been extremely reliable for many many years, must be ten now. I believe almost all computers are highly accurate once you input the wheel circumference correctly - after all they are just counting wheel revolutions and multiplying. I have even read of people using cheap cycle computers in motorsport to supplement the built-in speed/odos due to their higher accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Cool, thanks for the reply guys, Ive just about reached the stage where I am familiar with the hierarchy of bikes/components, but im afraid a glove is still a glove to me.

Blorg, thanks for that, tried PMing but this darn site wont let me at the minute. Its my birthday next week and the parents are askin would I like anything, so I thought a few cycling accessories would be handy.

Ive settled upon:
    Altura Gravity baggy short €45
    Altura Progel mits €23
    Altura NightVision windproof jacket €75
    Cateye Mity 8 €30

Thanks again lads! If any of the above choices should be avoided, let me know, Ive simply chosen cyclesuperstore for convenience. I considered the cateye combo set here, but dont know if its any good. I need better lights and the price seems good.

I have the Nightvision waterproof and it is very visible so great for winter evenings. If you are getting it for daytime cycling I would suggest the yellow, it does really stand out. The waterproof is a bit "boil in the bag" and too hot for this weather but I believe the windproof is a lot better in this regard.

Rear light-wise I would strongly recommend this Smart 1/2 watt LED which although tiny would pretty much take your eye out, it's crazy bright. A lot of good forum posts behind this one and it certainly delivers, only drawback is relatively low battery life but I use rechargables.

I have the CatEye Mity 8 (with 5400miles) and it works well for me.
    For lights, I got a combo pack with the CatEye TL-LD1100 and EL530. Nice and bright.
    If buying from Cycle Superstore, get the Loyalty Card. It's free with no commitments and gives you between 3 and 12% off products. You can get a site login and see the discounted prices online. Very useful for price comparisons.

I had this light, until some knob in East Point nicked it on me.
    Either that or it's at home somewhere impossible to find.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9112

It's very bright and has good battery life, but a little awkward to turn on if you have gloves on.

Advertisement