Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router slowing net connection alot. Please help

Options
  • 09-05-2007 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

IBB are my ISP. When I connect one computer directly to them everything works fine - quick transfers, low latency. But when I connect with my SMB7004VBR Barricade router the network intermittently gets very slow: average pings of 300ms (40ms without router) and download speed 10-150k (350k without router).

Does anyone know what could be causing the problem?

I rang IBB and asked them if there was any traffic when I expected there was none and there was none - so it doesn't look like malware or a freeroller on my wireless is the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

is there a firmware ugrade for your router?

can you get a lend of another router? if the lend unit works ok, ditch your barricade and buy another unit. i use linksys with my breeze and it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Its got the latest firmware.

Do routers often go bad for no apparent reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

about 1/2 hour ago i loaded Smoothwall on an old PC. 2 network cards plus the software and you have yourself a router. Web browsing is flyin along...so is downloads.

I usually use a linksys wrt54g router which can be slow at times, but this smoothwall running on a PC is a flyer!

Routers can go a bit flakey, especially ADSL routers. The LAN side works ok, but the modem part fails. In that case, buy a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

I came across a thread today saying running bittorrent can cause problems because it opens up lots of connections which the router can't handle (not maxing out your connection which is another problem). It effects local traffic on the lan too as the router can't hand out connections. The thread didn't go into much detail. Does anyone have any more information on this?

Advertisement