Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persuit of partition(history) Please help

Options
  • 09-05-2007 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Hey yeah, can someone give me a list of possible essays on this section. Its really getting me down as we left this book way too late and I know none of it(except for NI)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

1916 Rising
    Rise of Sinn Fein
    Treaty 1921
    War of Independence
    Cumann na Gael in power-economic polices, foregien policy etc
    Fianna Fail in Power..dev's dismantlement of the treaty
    The case studies...

They're all I can think of off the top of my head....do you have papers??they usually have a list of the essays near the start of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

lilmizzme pretty much got them all.I'm betting there'll be an essay on at LEAST 1 of the following: the rising, the war of independence and the civil war.Because they're basically three of the most important aspects of Irish history, and there wasn't a question on any of them last year (well there was a question you could have fitted the rising into, but it didn't specifically ask about the rising).

yeh, id agree there....but our teacher is pushing the treaty dismantlement too....I was completely clueless for this section for the mocks...I had banked on the Rising, Treaty ot War of Independence and none came up...it wasnt so bad though, stumbled my way through a Padraig Pearse essay, most of it was about the Rising....jammy! :D

lilmizzme wrote:
    yeh, id agree there....but our teacher is pushing the treaty dismantlement too....I was completely clueless for this section for the mocks...I had banked on the Rising, Treaty ot War of Independence and none came up...it wasnt so bad though, stumbled my way through a Padraig Pearse essay, most of it was about the Rising....jammy! :D
    Thats the question I did in the mocks....But it was ****.We hadn't even covered stuff like the Privy council at that time,so my first 2 paragraphs were actually about the rising, and then all I could write about was the act that allowed dominians to remove any laws passed by Britian and the removal of the governer general....So overall not a great answer.But it was the only one from that section I could answer (I know **** all bout Pearse, cept for the fact that he was a teacher and fought in the rising....and its really difficult to write a decent essay using only that information).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Fianna Fail's Anglo-Irish relations would be a lethal question to get. Economics is a bit tough to study and god forbid the economic war showing its face.

As regards to the stuff earlier in the book, I'm not mad on any of it but the Rising might be alright. Made a complete balls of the pearse question in the mocks though, even with that quote "i have turned my face, towards this road before me, to the deed I shall do, and the death I shall die" (or something along those lines). Bastards.

• Advertisement

Thats another section of the course we didn't cover, the economic war.Wish we had have though.Sounds interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I reckon Fianna Fáils/Cumann na nGaedheal's economic policies and features of the Northern Irish government are very likely.

Thats another section of the course we didn't cover, the economic war.Wish we had have though.Sounds interesting.
    It wasn't really. Dev acted the bollocks by getting rid of land annuities, Brits threw taxes up on Irish imports big time, Chamberlain saw a war coming and knew he'd probably need Irish stuff during the war so he called the land annuities quits at £10m and gave us the treaty ports. There was something in there about coal and cattle too...

It wasn't really. Dev acted the bollocks by getting rid of land annuities, Brits threw taxes up on Irish imports big time, Chamberlain saw a war coming and knew he'd probably need Irish stuff during the war so he called the land annuities quits at £10m and gave us the treaty ports. There was something in there about coal and cattle too...
    Oh that explains how we got the treaty ports back....I'd always wondered about that but never cared enough to actually go and find out why.The section of the book I covered just said he negotiated the release of the ports, and that was good enough for me!!

Edit:He being De Velara of course.

There was something in there about coal and cattle too...

:) Coal Cattle Pact 1938, basically we'd take more coal if they bought some of our cows...I actually dont mind the economic war, I don't know how'd I'd get a full essay out of it though...Hmm, the Pearse essay was interesting, but didnt go as bad as I thought it would, still got 65/100 for it!! :D

Anglo Irish relations is a bit of a bitch, personally Im praying for the early part of the course...i tend to get a bit confused when it comes to the governments! :o

• Advertisement

lilmizzme wrote:
    :) Coal Cattle Pact 1938, basically we'd take more coal if they bought some of our cows...I actually dont mind the economic war, I don't know how'd I'd get a full essay out of it though...Hmm, the Pearse essay was interesting, but didnt go as bad as I thought it would, still got 65/100 for it!! :D

Anglo Irish relations is a bit of a bitch, personally Im praying for the early part of the course...i tend to get a bit confused when it comes to the governments! :o
    Coal Cattle Pact was 1935. Anglo-Irish Agreement was 1938.

ooohhh burn...i need to get some revision going on....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

i wud definately say to do all of CNG and FF and ud b fine. my grind told me also that d guy in charge of d history papers is from N. Ireland so for d last like 20 years, or whatever, there's always been a q on N. Ireland. so id say since impact of ww2 came up last, the chapter of N. Ireland and Dawson Bates and all that is a good bet. im doin the eucharistic congress too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

CnG came up last year, so they probably won't be on the paper, unless its a question asking you to compare them and FF. I'm doing the events of the Rising, its impacts, the Treaty negotiations leading to civil war, the civil war, the Eucharistic Congress, DeValera's pursuit of sovereignty and FFs economic policies.
    If I can't get one question out of all of that, I'll cry.

Advertisement