Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions

Options
  • 09-05-2007 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭

What's the story with pellet guns over here? As in metal pellets..? Are they illegal? If so what guns take them., Is it a certain size or what?

And are blank guns legal here as in this:http://www.airgundepot.com/blank-gun-model-92-8mm-blue-starter-pistol.html

Thanks.

[edit] Oh, And when ordering a gun and getting it brought into the country how do customs know what joule it is? Surely for all they know you could be bringing in some 900fps monster..?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Steel pellets? You're talking about a firearm. They are legal with a firearms license. Moved to shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

No, i am not talking about firearms, I'm talking about steel pellets for airguns not bullets. I.E. These: http://www.airgundepot.com/22-hunting-pellets.html

Master of the Universe

Yes you are talking about firearms.

Airguns are firearms. Anything that fire a .22 is considered a firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

PelletGuns(Airrifles) are illegal(without a licence) as they are classed as a firearm Here.

My apologies.

Would you be any help in answering my questions? Or is this not your field..

What's the story with bringing these into the country? Do they check if you have a license before they let it through customs? Not that im trying to get one in without a license i'm honestly just curious.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭padmundo

o1s1n wrote:
    Yes you are talking about firearms.

Airguns are firearms. Anything that fire a .22 is considered a firearm.

Fair question lads. Just because they fire the metal pellets doesn't mean they are classed as a firearm, however you are not going to find one that fires under one joule, unless it is pretty crap so most likely it is probably still a firearm.

As for the blank firer question I'm not sure. They were illegal before the change in the law but technically they fire nothing but maybe because the use some sort of gunpowder they are classed as firearms. I know my running coach required a gun licence to have the starter pistol.

Ok, I'll give an example what about this gun? Illegal? Legal?

http://www.bbguns.co.uk/1277_1_13972.html

Master of the Universe

padmundo wrote:
    Fair question lads. Just because they fire the metal pellets doesn't mean they are classed as a firearm, however you are not going to find one that fires under one joule, unless it is pretty crap so most likely it is probably still a firearm.

Something which fires 6mm plastic bbs under 1 joule does not have the capability to fire a steel projectile. Therefore something that fires steel pellets is a firearm.
    padmundo wrote:
    As for the blank firer question I'm not sure. They were illegal before the change in the law but technically they fire nothing but maybe because the use some sort of gunpowder they are classed as firearms. I know my running coach required a gun licence to have the starter pistol.

As far as I'm aware they are still considered firearms. Although I'm not sure of my source. So it would be worth checking out.

Master of the Universe

baraca wrote:
    Ok, I'll give an example what about this gun? Illegal? Legal?

http://www.bbguns.co.uk/1277_1_13972.html

That is an airgun, not an airsoft gun. It fires steel pellets.

Airguns are NOT illegal. They just require a firearms certificate to own.
    If you import one, customs will ask you for a copy of it.

Fair enough thanks for the info.

How does one go about obtaining a firearm license? And whats the minimum age? And going back to one of my previous questions out of curiosity could i import aformentioned (sp?) gun without a license or would you be asked to show it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭padmundo

o1s1n wrote:
    Something which fires 6mm plastic bbs under 1 joule does not have the capability to fire a steel projectile. Therefore something that fires steel pellets is a firearm.

It has the capability of course... just not with the same effect, it would be a pitiful shot, which is what I was saying. Just because it fires a metal bb or pellet doesn't make it illegal but the power it puts behind it does.

Baraca that bb gun there is nearly two and a half times the legal limit to own without a firearms cert. You would need to produce one for it to import it.

Master of the Universe

padmundo wrote:
    It has the capability of course... just not with the same effect, it would be a pitiful shot, which is what I was saying. Just because it fires a metal bb or pellet doesn't make it illegal but the power it puts behind it does.

It would not have the capability. The power is not there to fire the projectile. It may not even make it out of the barrel. The mechanics of the magazine are not suited for steel ammunition. They would quite possible break before the steel shot even got into the gun.

Chances are, the best you will get is the bb rolling down the barrel and dropping out onto the ground. I would hardly consider that "shooting steel pellets".

Okay, let me rephrase for all the nit pickers. :p Anything which fires a steel projectile with any COMPETENCE will require more than 1 joule of power and is illegal to possess without a firearms certificate.

Master of the Universe

baraca wrote:
    Fair enough thanks for the info.

could i import aformentioned (sp?) gun without a license or would you be asked to show it?

If you don't want to run the risk of illegally importing a firearm you'd want to steer clear of that option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

The exmaple baraca gave would be classed as a firearm here. The problem with 'toys' like that is that they probably don't have a serial number, and to get a cert for it you would need a serial number.

Firearms are legal here, once you are over 16 you can hold a firearms cert. Your local Garda station issues it. You need the serial number, make and model on a bill of sale from the shop plus permission from the householder where you live to store it, plus for pistols membership of a target shooting club, or for hunting firearms, permission from a landowner to use the firearm on their lands.

Questions answered?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

rrpc wrote:
    The exmaple baraca gave would be classed as a firearm here. The problem with 'toys' like that is that they probably don't have a serial number, and to get a cert for it you would need a serial number.

Firearms are legal here, once you are over 16 you can hold a firearms cert. Your local Garda station issues it. You need the serial number, make and model on a bill of sale from the shop plus permission from the householder where you live to store it, plus for pistols membership of a target shooting club, or for hunting firearms, permission from a landowner to use the firearm on their lands.

Questions answered?

And a signed letter from the pope.......probably.

I believe the Garda Superintendent does a criminal background check on you, so you will also need proof of indentity. And at the end of the day I think that the Gardai are not obliged to give you the firearms cert. You have to satisfy them that you intend to use it for 100% legal purposes.

Basically, it ain't easy to legally own a firearm, and thankfully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

im just wondering as i have enquiring about a few pellet rifles if i currently have a license for a shotgun and a .22 lr if i purchase a .22 pellet gun do i have to apply for a new license for that gun or will walking into the shop and producing my license and i.d suffice????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

stevoman wrote:
    im just wondering as i have enquiring about a few pellet rifles if i currently have a license for a shotgun and a .22 lr if i purchase a .22 pellet gun do i have to apply for a new license for that gun or will walking into the shop and producing my license and i.d suffice????

new license. In Ireland you need a license for every firearm you own

Vegeta wrote:
    new license. In Ireland you need a license for every firearm you own

is it the same price as a regular .22 lr license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

is it the same price as a regular .22 lr license?

Yes indeedy.

.177 can be a better option for air rifles. It's the calibre used for target shooting.

well to hell with that then because we are going to be gettin rode well enough with the rise in license fee's and im not buyin any more guns so they can rip me off if thats the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

License fees have not happened yet, due to the concerted efforts of a few people, make sure that your views are made known to the local politicos as they come slithering to your door....

rrpc wrote:

Questions answered?

Surely i can't get a bill of sale for a gun i haven't bought yet so how would i buy a gun over the internet and bring it in to the country to get the bill and my license if it's illegal to bring it in to the country without a license in the firstplace??

Thanks for answering my questions, I've been wanting to get into shooting for awhile now. So when i go to the garda station do i get a form to fill in or just ask for the super?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Generally when buying from over seas the supplier will not ship a firearm until you have it licensed.

So you buy the firearm, they hold it until you get your paperwork in order and then they will ship it when you fax them your paper work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

When you go the station - tell them you wnat to apply for an FAC (Firearms Certificate).

One of the Gardai will take your details and will want information regarding the firearm you wish to purchase - usually serial number and dealer - previous addresses, ect.

They will fill out the form but they need to get you to sign it in their presence once filled out.

Then they will kick off a few things
    a) Dealer Check on Dealer
    b) Security Check on you
    c) Check on Serial Number with Dealer - provided a) was ok.

Then, if necessary, the CPO (Crime Prevention Officer) for your area will come to your house to check on the security setup.

Then they will issue an import license to the dealer to allow him to import the firearm on your behalf. Once he informs them he has it they will send him your license and you go to the dealer and collect both.

Thats what happening with me - only problem is I'm waiting a good while for my monitored alarm to be set up.

Hope it helps,

B'Man

Advertisement