Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

basic home network - need some help

Options
  • 09-05-2007 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

i've two computers next to each other

i've a clearwire modem which is connected into a network switch. from this switch, a nework cable goes into each of my pcs, so they can both access the internet

i had set them up originally so they could share files and i could map network drives from each pc on the other. they have different computer names but have the same workgroup name

all of a sudden today, when i go to open 'my network places' i can't access anything on either computer from the other

any ideas as to how i can get the computers to see each other on this little network again?

(both running xp)

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

DotOrg wrote:
    i've two computers next to each other

i've a clearwire modem which is connected into a network switch. from this switch, a nework cable goes into each of my pcs, so they can both access the internet

i had set them up originally so they could share files and i could map network drives from each pc on the other. they have different computer names but have the same workgroup name

all of a sudden today, when i go to open 'my network places' i can't access anything on either computer from the other

any ideas as to how i can get the computers to see each other on this little network again?

(both running xp)

cheers

Start with basic things like pinging each other by machine name and IP address to see if basic connectivity is still there. Can any of the machines access the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Clearwire modems (not router) have to be plugged into a broadband router in order to share it between 2 or more PCs, or do you mean the switch part of a broadband router?!?

check for software firewalls running on the PCs. Sometimes they block access from other PCs. Personally, I dont bother with 'my network places'. Undo the mappings and remap the drives. Sometimes the mapping gets corrupted, also check IP addresses for the PCs and try pinging as spear said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

humaxf1 wrote:
    Clearwire modems (not router) have to be plugged into a broadband router in order to share it between 2 or more PCs, or do you mean the switch part of a broadband router?!?

up until a week ago, i had my clearwire modem plugged into a switch, not a router and both pcs could access the web through it. in fact it's still like that, no router at all and both still work, they just can't see files on each other

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DerMon

Have you tried just remapping the drives, oh and make sure the drives are still shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Make sure that you have enabled netbios over TCP/IP.

Under properties for TCP/IP go to advanced and select WINS tab and if the default is selected then change it to the second option to maunally enable netbios over TCP/IP.

I had this problem some years ago I think that solved it.

I have a network of 5 pcs with one acting as a file server and proxy for the internet connection. THis server is set as the "master browser" which means that it keeps a record of who is who and where they are on the network. It does mean that this PC must be on all the time while the other PCs are up.

The Master Browser is a problematic area on networks because the default is the the peer computers elect a master among themselves if none is permanently set. If the elected Master goes down a relection must take place to that the others can find each other, this may not always work correctly as the election doesn't go right and thus noone can find each other.

I have mine permanently set to one PC with all other PCs denied the privilege of setting themselves as the Master Browser.

• Advertisement
Advertisement