Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door frames installed b4 or after plastering?

Options
  • 09-05-2007 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

hello all,

looking for opinions on this one, as my first fix electrics and plumbing is
    now completed i intend to install oak door frames

would you install them before or after the plastering is carried out?
    i reckon wait until the plastering is completed otherwise i'd have a crap time
    in trying to get the stains off them

what you think?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Get your chippie to install Temporary frames made from OSB board or similar as it's cheap. Plaster to these, then remove them and install your oak frames.
    No Stains!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭leex

I have pine doorframes in my house. The frames were fitted pre-plastering. We put many coats of sealer on the frames before plastering. Any plaster etc simply washes off. Don't know what the story with oak is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Same as leex,once the wood is sealed you should be fine.You could also use masking tape to cover around the frame.If he is half decent he will take a bit more care as they are oak but then again they are a filthy bunch.Getting temporary fames would cost double,I don't think many a carpenter would be over joyed at having to do it,I know I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hjsimpson

If the frames were red deal or white deal then i would say seal well and fit before plastering....but with oak or hardwood definitely fit temp. frames until after plastering is finished......or more importantly until the finished concrete floors are in......wheelbarrows and oak door frames dont mix well.
    Skimcoat is inclined to blacken oak and teak even when cleaned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

Thanks everyone

i'll stick to the temporary door frames, made using the OSB boards, they won't take me long to make up, thanks Avsn1s,

hjsimpson i had even forgotten about the wheel barrows!!

thanks again to everyone for the replies

a pint of plain is yer only man

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

hjsimpson wrote:
    If the frames were red deal or white deal then i would say seal well and fit before plastering....but with oak or hardwood definitely fit temp. frames until after plastering is finished......or more importantly until the finished concrete floors are in......wheelbarrows and oak door frames dont mix well.
    Skimcoat is inclined to blacken oak and teak even when cleaned off.

Totally agree with hjsimpson, water , steel , plaster, will stain your oak frames black. This staining is next to impossible to remove. Forget about many coats of sealer first, and washing of plaster residue. Oak does not like water, plaster ect.

hjsimpson gets my vote

kadman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Whatever you do - "DO NOT FIT THEM UNTIL THE HEAVY DIRTY WORK IS FINISHED" Get the picture? Sorry for the late posting. Just thought i'd reinforce everyone elses view!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Sorry forgot to mention. Only fit them when plaster has dried out. Fit when you want the carpenter to start 2nd fix

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

thanks tradesman & kadman

i'll most definitely be waiting until 2nd fix...:)

Advertisement