Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start

Options
  • 09-05-2007 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

I wish to build a PC for my son

He wants to play games on it, and i would like the task.

what is the best thing to do and where is the Best place to buy parts (Online)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Komplett.ie is probably the best and aswell as overclockers.co.uk.
    What do you mean by "what is the best thing to do"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

First you need to know what games so you can build your pc around that then you need a budget or set a round about price for what your building.

What age is your son??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Would i be as well to use an old (18 months) Computer or go all new.

2nd hand i would say but it all depends what kind of games your son would be playing. You could pick up a pc for fairly cheap on adverts.

plonk wrote:
    First you need to know what games so you can build your pc around that then you need a budget or set a round about price for what your building.

What age is your son??

He's 14

• Advertisement

plonk wrote:
    2nd hand i would say but it all depends what kind of games your son would be playing. You could pick up a pc for fairly cheap on adverts.

I would like to build it out of interest..

Then I wouldnt say he will mind too much if its really quick a basic enough pc would do him something with a 6600gt/ 6800gt or a newer model 7600 or 7900. It all depends on how much you want too spend on it

In all fairness if you have little to no interest in PC's then you would be better off buying a complete new one/ complete second hand one.

In all fairness if you have little to no interest in PC's then you would be better off buying a complete new one/ complete second hand one.

Ye but if i go to a shop i dont get the chance to set down with him and build a pc. he likes online war games and on the back of the boxes specs are high.

OK you want to build it with him. whats your price range. for a highend system you could be spending around €2000.

• Advertisement

Its not that difficult to build a pc just be careful, so any sign of a budget. I can put up a list of parts if I know how much you want to spend

Also do you need everything such as monitor etc or do you have some parts already

OK you want to build it with him. whats your price range. for a highend system you could be spending around €2000.

will i dont need something flash i want build something which will make the games spot on, up to date and fast.

well we really kinda need an idea of how much you are willing to spend. I would say teh absolute bare minimum for a decent pc would be about €1000

plonk wrote:
    Its not that difficult to build a pc just be careful, so any sign of a budget. I can put up a list of parts if I know how much you want to spend

Also do you need everything such as monitor etc or do you have some parts already

No just inside

Price: Whatever

From Case, Motherboard, CPU. GCard, and so on.

If you are willing to wait a month there will be a completely new series of graphiocs cards out the and they may be better then their compition , I would advies you to wait to see how good they are. we can still help you spec up the rest of the system in teh meantime.

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, P965, Socket-775, ATX, SATAII, GbLAN, DDR2, 1xPCI-Ex16

RAM: Crucial DDR2 PC6400 2048MB CL5, Kit w/two matched DDR2 PC6400 1024MB

HARD DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

GRAPHICS CARD: HIS Radeon X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3, IcQ3, PCI-Express, ViVo, 2xDVI/Tv-Out/HDCP

DVD WRITER: Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S183A, 18x, Dual, Black, OEM, SATA

OPERATING SYSTEM: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Eng OEM DVD 32bit

PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 1.86GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan

CASE: Gigabyte Triton GZ-XX1CA-SNB Black Aluminium Front (Without PSU)

POWER SUPPLY: Hiper PSU ATX 580W Black, Type-M, 120mm Fan, 18dB, 4xSATA, 2xPCI-E, 20/24pin

That comes to 985 euro cpu and psu can be changed if you would like better

Edit: I have this motherboard and i find it very good everything else on this list is preety good and that graphics card should be fine for most games except for dx10 games which will be coming out next year

I left out the power supply first time around

If you are willing to wait a month there will be a completely new series of graphiocs cards out the and they may be better then their compition , I would advies you to wait to see how good they are. we can still help you spec up the rest of the system in teh meantime.

ye where should i start? Mother board ye

ye where should i start? Mother board

plonk wrote:
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, P965, Socket-775, ATX, SATAII, GbLAN, DDR2, 1xPCI-Ex16

Crucial DDR2 PC6400 2048MB CL5, Kit w/two matched DDR2 PC6400 1024MB

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

HIS Radeon X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3, IcQ3, PCI-Express, ViVo, 2xDVI/Tv-Out/HDCP

Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S183A, 18x, Dual, Black, OEM, SATA

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Eng OEM DVD 32bit

Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 1.86GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan

Gigabyte Triton GZ-XX1CA-SNB Black Aluminium Front (Without PSU)

That comes to 905 euro cpu and psu can be changed if you would like better

Jebsus thats a good system for the price!!

Yeah motherboard is teh best place to start, but I've been out of the loop for a while so I will let others who are better informed advise you.

plonk wrote:
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, P965, Socket-775, ATX, SATAII, GbLAN, DDR2, 1xPCI-Ex16

Crucial DDR2 PC6400 2048MB CL5, Kit w/two matched DDR2 PC6400 1024MB

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

HIS Radeon X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3, IcQ3, PCI-Express, ViVo, 2xDVI/Tv-Out/HDCP

Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S183A, 18x, Dual, Black, OEM, SATA

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Eng OEM DVD 32bit

Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 1.86GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan

Gigabyte Triton GZ-XX1CA-SNB Black Aluminium Front (Without PSU)

That comes to 905 euro cpu and psu can be changed if you would like better

Edit: I have this motherboard and i find it very good everything else on this list is preety good and that graphics card should be fine for most games except for dx10 games which will be coming out next year

Ok what is what?

also what card would do the job for the x10 games and how do you know it comes to 905 euro

• Advertisement

Ill edit it accordingly I just went onto komplett and picked out which I thought were the best parts. Dx10 is a update in games and only certain newer graphics cards are compatiable. TBH you wouldnt really need it, it is a long way off well 2008

Yes plonc has edited his original component selection. And I would agree with him There is no point in getting a directx 10 card yet as we have no idea how the geforce 8600/8800's will performe in DX10 ( they are currently the only DX10 compient cards out) . So it would be better to stick with a card that will tie you over untill DX10 games are out and then get a DX10 card when we know which ones work best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Isnt Crysis DX10?

What games does your son play? Get him to make a list..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Yeah Crysis is directX 10. Does it have a firm release date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

July I think? Its on play.com for pre-order 41.99

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement