Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May 17th-Ahern & Kenny primetime RTÉ debate

Options

Comments

Yeah, should be good watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

stepbar wrote:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0509/election1.html

Mark that down in your diary. I hope he makes Bertie ****ing squirm.

Your latter point is a fanciful idea. Kenny will repeat his boring election mantra about broken promises and a so-called contract for Ireland. The voters will see right through his lack of knowledge of the issues and the interview will highlight his inadequacy to be Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

ateam wrote:
    Your latter point is a fanciful idea. Kenny will repeat his boring election mantra about broken promises and a so-called contract for Ireland.

Yeah, he didn't even come up with that 'contract' for Ireland spiel. It was Frank Luntz, the political analyst who thought it up for someone in an American campaign years ago! It makes me think less of Kenny if he can't even think of his own way to connect with the public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

ateam wrote:
    Your latter point is a fanciful idea. Kenny will repeat his boring election mantra about broken promises and a so-called contract for Ireland. The voters will see right through his lack of knowledge of the issues and the interview will highlight his inadequacy to be Taoiseach.

MMM the broken promises... they are true arent they? Should'nt have much trouble defending those I suppose.....
    Madge wrote:
    Yeah, he didn't even come up with that 'contract' for Ireland spiel. It was Frank Luntz, the political analyst who thought it up for someone in an American campaign years ago! It makes me think less of Kenny if he can't even think of his own way to connect with the public

I must dig up Bertie's contract to the people.... O wait..... Bertie doesnt do contracts...... might have to promise something which would not be good.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'd much rather see Cowan v Rabbitte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

So the debate between Ahern and Kenny is the first of the debates. Hopefully RTE will be releasing the details of all the debates in due time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

stepbar wrote:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0509/election1.html

Mark that down in your diary. I hope he makes Bertie ****ing squirm.

Cowan V the rabbit would be better me thinks.

Bertie V Kenny will be boring. With a week to go both will be wanting to keep a lid on things. Though you might see Kenny back on the AngryPills.

Anyone want to guess how many times Kenny will say "I put it to you TeeShock..."? I'm saying 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

EDIT: Rabbitte will be appearing in the tv debate with the smaller parties.
    Rabitte was also challenged seperately to a debate by Michel McDowell but he said no to that too.

• Advertisement

daveirl wrote:
    Absolutely, and probably the only entertainment you will get from the 'Debate'.

So every time Kenny says "I put it to you TeeShock..." drink a shot of strong liquor.
    And every time Bertie says "...percent..." take a sip of beer - he's gonna say that a lot so take a sip unless you don't want to get yourself sh1tfaced in 45 minutes.

And remember: enjoy alcohol sensibly

Rabitte will apparently not be participating in any tv debates because he threw a hissy fit. Labour was included with the other small parties in the Dail, and (I'm told) refused to debate with the PDs, Greens and Sinn Fein because they don't want to admit that they are a smaller party.

Rabitte was also challenged seperately to a debate b y Michel McDowell but he said no to that too.

Rabbitte? Hissy fit? Surely not! ;-)
    Rabbitte for all his debating skills doesn't come across too well on TV. He has to physically restrain himself to stop himself jumping off the screen. So it's not surprising that he's not going to do that TV debating thing.

PH01 wrote:
    So every time Kenny says "I put it to you TeeShock..." drink a shot of strong liquor.
    And every time Bertie says "...percent..." take a sip of beer - he's gonna say that a lot so take a sip unless you don't want to get yourself sh1tfaced in 45 minutes.

And remember: enjoy alcohol sensibly

:D

Good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Highlights to me the poor choice we have for our next leader - take your pick Laurel or Hardy, Cheech or Chang, Dumb or Dumber, and so on and so forth.

How has it come to this........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RalphCifaretto

At least Biffo and Rabitte would be a bit of a contest as opposed to the other two mongos stuttering and drooling at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Bertie doesn't do well on these head-to-head debates, Michael Noonan came out of the 2002 debate very well, but the public doesn't pay any heed to these.

If Bertie is cute (and that he is) he'll leave his financial statement until after the leaders debate. Enda, other the other hand, still has to convince a lot of people that he is Teeshock material.

Bland, most definitely, but still worth a peek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

At least Biffo and Rabitte would be a bit of a contest as opposed to the other two mongos stuttering and drooling at each other.

LOL

Biffo's a bit of a drooler too in fairness.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

This debate is all about Enda Kenny, we know what Bertie is like. It's all for Kenny to lose and I predict he'll bottle under the pressure. Last time, the leadership debate attracted a huge audience, 800,000 if i remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

ateam wrote:
    This debate is all about Enda Kenny, we know what Bertie is like. It's all for Kenny to lose and I predict he'll bottle under the pressure. Last time, the leadership debate attracted a huge audience, 800,000 if i remember correctly.

That seems likely. If Kenny can't refrain from accusing McDowell of leaking material to the press, you can bet that he'll have difficulty in the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

From http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1827902&issue_id=15612

[FONT=Verdana, Arial] THE first televised debate between Bertie 'Ahem' Ahern and Enda 'Eh' Kenny will flop on to our screens next Thursday.
    It will be billed as something akin to the 'Rumble in the Jungle'. It will more likely be forgotten as the 'Mumble in Montrose'. But, for viewers with access to booze, it could be the televisual event of this election if certain rules are followed.
    "So, every time Kenny says, 'I put it to you TeeShock . . .' drink a shot of strong liquor, and when Bertie says, 'percent' take a sip of beer," PHO1 explains on boards.ie.
    The possibility that an alcohol-free debate will be torturous for viewers was widely commented on yesterday, but some contributors said predicting Enda would be "wooden" was another example of how this campaign was personality and not issues-based.
    Jason O'Brien
    [/FONT]

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Jeasus, boards.ie the voice of the people. Wise words there PH01 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Miriam O'Callaghan, who is charing the debate, is the sister of FF Dublin South-East candidate Jim O'Callaghan

Conflict of interest surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Miriam O'Callaghan, who is charing the debate, is the sister of FF Dublin South-East candidate Jim O'Callaghan

Conflict of interest surely?
    Moore McDowell, the brother of Michael McDowell, is reputed to be the staunchest blue-shirt in the land.

She has absolutely ripped into FF on Prime Time (often to an unfair extent) many times, so I doubt she'll have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Miriam O'Callaghan is a poor choice for chair IMO.
    It would be great if they could bring back Brian Farrell for this. Even John Bowman would be better.

stepbar wrote:
    Jeasus, boards.ie the voice of the people. Wise words there PH01 :D
    FECK! Someone should have told me! Didn't realise these words were picked up my the MeeJaa

Advertisement