Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamweaver Help Anyone!!!!???? [text-bold!]

Options
  • 10-05-2007 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hey!

Im having a major problem with text in Dreamweaver, I'm not using style sheets, Im just trying to put simple text content inside a table on a webpage, but, it is only appearing in bold (automatically) it wont let me enter regular/plain text.. i have messed around with all of the text options and unticked 'header' etc to no avail..

I seen one post on the internet saying that if you are trying to type text into a table cell, that dreamweaver8 automatically makes the first row of a table a header by default, which means it will be bold. I have made different rows in the table and still have no control over the text been bold. It just automatically is!!!

Can anyone help me with a suggestion, please, please, please.. student in urgent need of help!!!

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Go to code view (top left corner) and paste the code here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 makaveli33

sorry im somewhart of a novice! what do you mean.. post the code here? do you mean put the style of the text in manually/html?

if this is what you mean it still isnt working, it just automatically defaults to bold, i never selected bold nor is the bold button clicked... its just as if there is no such thing as a non-bold font..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I think Gordon meant copy and paste the code here, on Boards.ie, so we can see it and give you advice.

Put it inside code tags in your post.

[code.]
    PASTE HERE
    [/code.]

(^^ remove the full-stops)

I have created my design and layout of my website and have simply left a white area for my text/content. In this area I have created a table 80% centered and this is where my content is going on every page. I do not have a style sheet, is this where my problem is? I never used one before on other websites I did and they work fine.. [I missed the class on style sheets!!]

Thanks!

CODE:

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
    <tr>
    <th width="75%" rowspan="2" scope="col"><table width="80%" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
    <tr>
    <th scope="col"><div align="justify"><span class="style2">Welcome to bla bla bla </span></div></th>
    </tr>
    </table></th>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

makaveli33 wrote:
    I have created my design and layout of my website and have simply left a white area for my text/content. In this area I have created a table 80% centered and this is where my content is going on every page. I do not have a style sheet, is this where my problem is?

Dreamweaver seems to think that you have a style sheet - it's got class='style2' in there.

If you used one of Dreamweaver's templates to create the page, then it may already have a style sheet.

The other factor may be that you have 2 tables in there; the inner one is inside the table header of the outer one, and since th rows are usually in bold, there's a chance that the 2nd table is inheriting the "boldness" from the first.

If you remove the class from the table cells it should fix the problem; if not, change the opening and closing th tags to td and you will definitely be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Even if you dont have a stylesheet dreamweaver will create css classes in the page.

i.e. if you select some text, change it's colour and font-size the tag wont be like <font-size="2"><font-color="red">TEXT TEXT</font></font>

it will be like <span class="class1">TEXT TEXT</span> where class1 is now defined at the top of the page like

.class1
    {
    font-color:red;
    font-size:10px;
    }

Dreamweaver does this to make the document more standards compliant i guess.

Look at the top of the document and see what styles .style2 has, maybe it is setting the text to bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

dreamweaver creates styles by default instead of just using the <font> tags

do a search on the code for style2 and it will show you the style.
    i would say in the style2 css sytle there is a strong or bold command.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Dremweaver adds a style automaticaly at the top of the page if you just use the Properties panel to change text attributes (size, color, etc).

find the code for the style and either add a new one like:
    .no_bold{font-weight:normal;}

then replace you span style="style2" to span style="no_bold"

hey guys!

tanks for yer replies.. tried absolutely everything ye have said to no avail.. the code/style above in the code for 'style2' is simply the code below, nothing about bold or stong or anything else..

.style2 {
    font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size: 12px;
    }

i also changed the style like 'louie' said .no_bold etc and that didnt work either.. I dont know what else to do, can anyone think of anything else at all!!!!!

Thanks a mill!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

when you see the text in bold, is it in internet explorer or just dreamweaver itself?
    If is layout view you might have to play with the Preferences in dremweaver.

Can you paste the entire code here on the forum or give us a link if you have a live one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mr. Magoo

I think the default in most browsers is for any text in a th tag top appear in bold unless overridden with css , try changing the th tags to td tags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah good call Mr.Magoo.

Could alternatively bung this into your stylesheet.
    th {
    font-weight: normal;
    }

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Mr. Magoo wrote:
    I think the default in most browsers is for any text in a th tag top appear in bold unless overridden with css , try changing the th tags to td tags

That's kinda what I said, but you said it better......I guess old half-blind cartoon characters develop a shorter, to-the-point way of explaining things! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mr. Magoo

ooops, thats exactly what you said! You think I'd learn to read before trying to help with html. i blame the glassess...

Hey guys!

Just wanna say thanks a million for helping me out with all yer replies, i went through all of my pages and replaced the <th> tag with <td> and guess what... IT WORKED!!!!!

sorry i know someone mentioned it in the early replies but actually tried it and it didnt work, but it did now...

thanks a mill to everyone who replied!!!

Advertisement