Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options

Options
  • 10-05-2007 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a friend who is in a terrible predicament with their dog (small black lab) and I was hoping that if I posted on here someone might have some useful feedback. My friend is moving house very shortly as their landlord has decided to sell the house however they are finding it extremely difficult to find rented accomodation that will allow pets. They have been searching for about a month now, there is no shortage of finding a place just not one one that will take pets so far 3 places have fallen through and she's at her wits end. It has gotten to the point where she has considered that it may be necessary to give up the dog but if she does she will be absolultely heartbroken.

I suggested that she might leave the dog with someone while she continues to look for a place that will accept pets too (in my mind its only a matter of time before she find's somewhere just that she is pushed for time now).
    Unfortunately no one in her family can take a dog for an extended period of time and none of her friends (including me) are able to take the dog either and all of those options have been exhausted. A kennel is out of the question due to the sheer costs but I was hoping that there was something in between these. Maybe there is someone out there who would be willing to home the dog for a month or two or does anyone know of shelters that may be willing to take the dog? Any suggestions or feedback welcome.

Regards,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭julesrtc

What area are you in? Is the dog male or female? Neutered?? What age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

@ julesrtc. My friend is in North Kildare near Dublin, the dog is nearly two years old (I think he could be younger), male and neutered.

I was wondering if anyone know of a shelter that may take him in and in return my friend would be willing to pay his board, perhaps the board for another dog and also do volunteer work too. Does that sound like something that a shelter would consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Hi there,

You could post a request up here: http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/ - you might be lucky and get a foster home for the dog while your friend finds a place to live.

This forum is frequented by people from many of the shelters and pounds around Ireland - they might be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

I saw a post along the same lines on another website recently. Apparently if you offer an extra large deposit (to cover any damage that the dog might do) some landlords will let you have the property anyway. It might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You can also have a contract drawn up to say you will replace anything damaged by the dog eg carpets.

Either way if she wants to have the dog back wether she tries to get someone to foster him or kennel him she will have to pay money for it.
    Kennels could be about 8 euro a day if she worked out a deal with them.

Very frustrating not enough decent landlords out there that will allow pets.

As said try irishanimals.ie and petsireland maybe someone could foster the dog for a payment each week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Folks,

Fantastic news, a house that she had been told previously was gone has now been offered to my friend so she gets a new place and gets to keep her dog! :D

Thanks a million for everyone who viewed the add and to those who replied :-)

Dave

Advertisement