Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just reinstalled Deus Ex.

Options
  • 10-05-2007 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

7 years on, and it still remains an incredibly immersive and enjoyable game. Some older games start to feel very clunky, but Deus Ex really does feel that if it had some ragdoll physics and better graphics, you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference between it and a game that was made in the past year or two.

Man, why don't they make more games like this? It was just a phenominally good experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yep, completely immersive - for me, few games on the PC ever came close to that level of immersion.

Great soundtrack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Brings back good memories. One of the few games I've played where as soon as I finished, I started again. *sniff* them were the days...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

There's a theory that if one of these 'epic' games (deus Ex included) is mentioned on a message board, at least one other person will install it.

If i could find my copy, i'd do it.

Also, superb game, pity about the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Ditto, but I have no idea where my copy is either, I could probably find the second one easy enough among the more recent games, but... you know....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This is one of two games that totally drags me into the story. The other being System Shock 2. One of the lads i live with recently 'acquired' this again, and i plan on playing through it as soon as i get some time off. Great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

It got voted "Greatest PC Game of All time" in the latest edition of PC Zone :)
    Funnily enough i only reinstalled i there on Monday too:p

Ill post up the results of the 101 top PC games when i get 15 mins :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

One of those games along with the System Shock games that I really need to get around to playing, for shame.

Still I did force Praetorian to play it and he ended up loving it. I got forced to play Unreal which was the gaming equivalent of having my scrotum slammed repeatedly in a heated up George Foreman grill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I played it and finished it on the ps2, i think. Played it on pc aswell, but never really thought it was as mindblowing as people made out. Guess im one of the few who didnt really like it that much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thats because you played the watered down sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I think I sold my copy a while back :(

Now I wanna play it again. Bah.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One of the finest games ever made. Great story, combat, characters etc... The soundtrack was superb too (love that opening number while the 3d title spins around).
    My copy has pride of place on my gaming shelf so I'll be sure to pull it out later - can't break tradition after all ;)

kaimera wrote:

It sells for 4-5 euro on those 3 for 15 jobbys in game
    Loads of classics there

Youd have no trouble gettin a copy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Retr0gamer wrote:
    One of those games along with the System Shock games that I really need to get around to playing, for shame.

Still I did force Praetorian to play it and he ended up loving it. I got forced to play Unreal which was the gaming equivalent of having my scrotum slammed repeatedly in a heated up George Foreman grill.
    Get playing system shock, class game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Get playing system shock, class game.

I tried playing 2 it recently, but after a nightmare of a time trying to install the thing, I ended up having to delete all the FMVs. When I finally did get around to playing, it seemed to have aged pretty badly.
    Must give it a go again though - Bioshock is by far my most anticipated game of the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just saw System shock got 7th best game ever in that 101 best games list. Really remember it being great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Arggg... damn all you people!!!

I was standing in my friends house the other day, and was looking through his game collection... I lifted out my copy of Deus-Ex and was deciding whether to bring it home and install it again... I didn't.

I regret it now, will have to go get it.

Great game.

It's a prime candidate for a "source" (Deus Ex: Source... how cool would that be) if any of you patient Modding type people are listening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Yep..Deus Ex was and still is a classic game.
    It's a pity that Ion Storm didn't take a leaf from Valve's book and still develop for the pc rather than selling themselves out for the crappy Deus EX 2:IW on the console. Was one of the most disappointing sequels ever!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I found Deus Ex 2 to be a lot better than the original. Don't know why, but there was just something I really really like about that game.

DarkJager wrote:
    I found Deus Ex 2 to be a lot better than the original. Don't know why, but there was just something I really really like about that game.

I CAST THEE OUT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Just saw System shock got 7th best game ever in that 101 best games list. Really remember it being great. :)
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/SHODAN.ogg
    "Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

kaimera wrote:

I remember getting it with my PC (or someone giving it to me at the same time) - playing it for 5 minutes and never going back to it.

I lost the disc, and then start hearing about how great it was - if only I'd given it a chance!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

My favourite game of all time i'd say, must have played it through about 6 times. What makes it really great is the bad assed dude from california dreams (that kids show like saved by the bell) was the voice of JC! Great inventory system too.
    The less said about the sequel the better!
    Never finished system shock 2 got very near the end and then i lost it somehow (i blame the psychic monkeys), gotta try track it down again. Looking forward to Bioshock though.

There should be more RPGshooters as the standard non fusion genre is getting old!

It was the first real PC game i got into :)

When i got my first proper PC back in 2003 (xp that is, not that 95 or 98 thing ):p

Started playin it and really got into it :cool:
    Then broadband came along in early 2004 and i got that, and Deus Ex wasnt really good online..and a friend gave me Medal of Honor..and that was it :p

Deus Ex got dropped due to online gaming :o

(I still play mohaa :) , match tonight :cool: )

Gonna try get back into it though, some fella is makin High res models and texture mod for the game. So ill download that, hopefully itll add to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

It didn't originally have an online mode as a i remember, think they just chucked it on the goty edition or whatever it was called. It was atrocious alright though, maybe a mmorpgfps would have been a better idea:p

Rhyme wrote:
    [url][/url]
    "Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?"

Best enemy voice ever in a computer game, with Xerxes a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Love it, stealth FTW, but when the shít goes down, the Dragons Tooth is comin out for some slicey slicey! GIMME A WII PORT AND I'LL BUY ONE! :D

I've been meaning to play it again with the High Definition Textures pack! :)

Shame about the forgettable sequel, I blame the consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Yeah deus ex the first one was great it scared the **** out of me though the whole dadelus hunting you down and sometimes you would read news atm thingys and all it would would be JC denton over and over again.Scared the **** out of me was only 8 at the time though:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Superb game. Ranks up there with the Half-Life series, the Baldur's Gate series, and the Fallout series for breaking genre boundaries and making absolute classic games.

I never really liked DX2 though - looked pretty and all, but it didn't suck me in the way DX1 did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

i LOVE this game, i really cant count the number of times i must have played through it but yet just want to play it again! there really has not been another like it and is my favourite game of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Holy shìt! Didn't know that existed. Time to pull a sicky and head home to play.

Advertisement