Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just reinstalled Deus Ex.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Must play this. Its one of those games i've always meant to play as everybody raves about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I've given this game a fair shot a few times after people kept recommending it to me but hated it.

I found the controls really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

brim4brim wrote:
    I've given this game a fair shot a few times after people kept recommending it to me but hated it.

I found the controls really annoying.

Banned.

And that is why I'll never be a mod:p #

Seriously though, can that be possible, hating the best reason in the world to play PC games??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

One of the best games I have ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Is it any good on PS2? If so, then does it have a 60Hz option?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

not really worth playing it on a ps2, its still decent but not nearly as good, it'll work on any pc these though and can be picked up dirt cheap.
    Yeah deus ex the first one was great it scared the **** out of me though the whole dadelus hunting you down and sometimes you would read news atm thingys and all it would would be JC denton over and over again.Scared the **** out of me was only 8 at the time though

Freaked me out a bit too, kept expecting it to just appear and zap me or something! Hated ppl with flamethrowers too- pretty much instant death for me- why can't i just drop and roll????!!!!

Worst were the greasels though- nasty lil bastards!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

MiB for me, could never sneak past em and you just know after blasting them for ages you're going to be standing right in front of you when they kerplode... ouchies. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

BopNiblets wrote:
    I've been meaning to play it again with the High Definition Textures pack! :)

I didn't know there was a texture pack for it. I must check that out. Deus Ex is a classic. I didn't enjoy it much when I bought it mainly because I was coming to it from a Quake/Unreal Tournament perspective so running around shooting up everything was my automatic reaction to every situation. Once I focused on the stealth aspect my appreciation for the game grew enormously.
    Some things I loved about it:
    Crawling around the passageways looking down on the alien research facility, running around with the sword, the first time you meet the cold Men in Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Just bought this via steam with my last €9.

Better be good! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Another great point about this game - when playing through a second time, you can simply ambush the characters you know are going to try and murder you up later in the game. Makes things much easier, especially with that
    Herman fellow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

You people dont seem to like DX2 at all, i thought the depth and the story were great, not quite up to the standard of the original but still good enough to make it a great game.

The things that really let it down were the physics (since when can a solid matal box fly as far as a basketball when pushed?) and the (criminally bad) combat.

I cant decide whether to wait for the texture pack for the original to reach completion or try it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You people dont seem to like DX2 at all, i thought the depth and the story were great, not quite up to the standard of the original but still good enough to make it a great game.

The story wasn't bad, but story isn't what made the first one so great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oh, the memories...

Favourite game ever tbh, or certainly up there. Such a rich environment, and the storyline was wonderfully long. These days I always find myself dreading the incoming credit sequence and it always arrives too early. Deus Ex hit the point where I thought it might end, then did some more, and then did a whole other two chapters or so. New York, Paris, Hong Kong, Area 51...God I love this game.

One thing that always pissed me off: The healing module and the run/jump module take the same slot. Sure, running and jumping is cool, but compared to spontaneous regeneration? Nah.

I tried System Shock 2 for a couple of hours. Got quickly tired of running around bashing zombies with a pipe. I honestly suspected I had the wrong game from what everyone had been saying about it. That said, it took me three attempts to get into Planescape Torment (the opening scenes are SO bad), but now it ranks way up there in the top 5.
    The story wasn't bad, but story isn't what made the first one so great.

Uh, yes it was, or at least a huge part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Another great point about this game - when playing through a second time, you can simply ambush the characters you know are going to try and murder you up later in the game. Makes things much easier, especially with that
    Herman fellow
    Johnny correct me if I am wrong but if you did early in the game didn't the "friendly" npc chracter gain invincibility and therfore made them impossible to kill even if the would try to kill you later on in the game:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Johnny correct me if I am wrong but if you did early in the game didn't the "friendly" npc chracter gain invincibility and therfore made them impossible to kill even if the would try to kill you later on in the game:confused:

Hmm havent played in a few years but I do remember taking down some of the soon-to-be-badguys at an earlier stage than the narrative dictates, with favourable consequences.
    Not a 100% sure, so that gives me another excuse to give it another whirl ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Installing it now... I've been meaning to get around to playing it for years now:o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Still haven't played it myself...shh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

I Speeeel My Drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

yep one of the greats. I pity those that didnt play it when it was out, or those who only play console games. They missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Yep, must agree with most here - I got that game on budget last Dec 2002 and played it solid (played using stealth) until the end of January. Got me through a bad period and cheered me up no end. Based on the unreal engine - I was satisified with the clear no nonsense interface... but it was the story (repeat story) that made this game. Half Life had a purpose... but boy did this have a story!
    In fairness, thought and effort went into Deux Ex - the multiple endings, the choices you could make (remember in the plane? - "Believe me - not him!"). Warren Spector was involved with the project. :)

It's true - what a script - it's why I lean on rpg's a lot with richness of stories...

That game is right behind me right now on the shelf in it's budget green case - last used in a 2nd run install last May 2003 (it was so good I reinstalled it... but was rudely interrupted by a career re-location).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Yes, this game really rocks.
    I would go as far as saying its the most immersive game I have ever played.
    Pity about the sequel:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

hamster wrote:
    In fairness, thought and effort went into Deux Ex - the multiple endings, the choices you could make (remember in the plane? - "Believe me - not him!").
    I remember when that happened to me the first time through. My God did I torment myself over that one! It makes such a difference to the immersive experience of a game when you find yourself actually caring about what happens to a NPC.

I think i riot prodded him and he was ko but for some they all thought i killed him and was a cold blooded killer! Pity you couldn't be as sly as you wanted. Man now i wanna play it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Great game. Sadly me being me I could never finsh a level without trying every thing possible. Every bin checked. Every door...crate...window...rubbish bag. i mean...what if I missed something....

I never finished it due to the above.

Might be worth a reinstall due to that HiDef packege though...

Great game. Sadly me being me I could never finsh a level without trying every thing possible. Every bin checked. Every door...crate...window...rubbish bag. i mean...what if I missed something....

A computer game gave you OCD!? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Might be worth a reinstall due to that HiDef packege though...

I did actually try.... slow work :D I really like the sneak sneak approach used "Thief I and II" and did it here checking the bins and co as I went along. The electric prodder was the most important weapon - I hated killing in that game. I loved to hide the bodies. On a side not.....must try out Thief III

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Now I feel like playing it and, would ya believe it, I've just packed it into a box 'coz I'm moving. It'll have to wait a week.

Never did finish it though - got stuck wandering around for ages in this city where there were lots of sewers..

hamster wrote:
    The electric prodder was the most important weapon - I hated killing in that game.

I maxed out the rifle skill and ran around shooting people in the head.

We played very different characters :)

Think i just maxed the pistol, two shots to the head kills everything :D never any ammo problems with it either.

I liked riot prodding ppl though, anyone, everyone, watch them get down and boogie! poison darts were funny too, you'd see them go "ugh" chasing you til they run low on health and brick it in the other direction til they just fall over- so many ways to be cheap in that game!

Never did like the plasma gun though, waste of space!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

As Timans mentioned, both Deus Ex and Deus Ex 2 (shudder) are available over steam. $9.95/€7.36. Well, WELL worth the money :)

Advertisement