Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just reinstalled Deus Ex.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Timans wrote:
    Just bought this via steam with my last €9.

Better be good! :p
    Nice one. Just got it there myself from Steam :cool:

Now to grab that HD texture pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Moriarty wrote:
    As Timans mentioned, both Deus Ex and Deus Ex 2 (shudder) are available over steam. $9.95/€7.36. Well, WELL worth the money :)

Or you could download it along with the 2nd one and a bunch of others off metaboli, same price as 1 game and you can play em all for a month for the money.

Linky on cvg's branded site (theres a bunch of others including eurogamer) http://cvg.metaboli.co.uk/MetaGame/productdetail.jsp?product_id=952

^ Thats not a referral link or anything, just a link to Deus Ex on the site. I have nowt to do with metaboli but have been using it for a few months now and I'm surprised I don't see it mentioned here because its amazing value for the 10 odd euro a month :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

*sigh*

You evil people have gone and made me install it again.

Thats me vanishing from everyone who knows me's radar for the next few weeks.

Ah well, at least I get to hack people with that electric sword thingy again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Blowfish wrote:
    *sigh*

You evil people have gone and made me install it again.

Thats me vanishing from everyone who knows me's radar for the next few weeks.

Ah well, at least I get to hack people with that electric sword thingy again.

It's well worth it! I have exams to tend to at the moment, but I'll now have to give it another bash once I'm done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Think i just maxed the pistol, two shots to the head kills everything :D never any ammo problems with it either.

I liked riot prodding ppl though, anyone, everyone, watch them get down and boogie! poison darts were funny too, you'd see them go "ugh" chasing you til they run low on health and brick it in the other direction til they just fall over- so many ways to be cheap in that game!

Never did like the plasma gun though, waste of space!

Agreed there, the pistol was phenominally good.

I suppose I'm just a cold-hearted killer, I won't even bother sneaking past people, I will take them out, normally a stealth kill, just in case.

One of my absolute favourite things to do is throw a gas grenade into a crowd of baddies (Like when Hell's Kitchen in under martial law, and you get a huge amount of troops after you) and then just stand there casually shooting them all in the head as they cough and gag, helplessly.
    Zillah wrote:
    Uh, yes it was, or at least a huge part of it.

It was a compelling story, but on the whole, it was really all about the gameplay, how you advanced, moulded your character, how you played it, the convincing game world, atmosphere, and all those fantastic elements that gelled together to make a superbly rich playing experience. The story, however good, didn't make or break the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

i saw deus ex invisible war for 7 euro at the weekend and bought it. I wasn't sure if it was the first or second game at the time but now i know its deus ex 2, sh&t!

Is the 2nd game any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Hmmm, a vial of xime.

I thought DeusEx would change everything... but now it's like it never happened. :(

Yes, give us more WW2 shooters, that's a really new and interesting genre :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I only ever played the PS2 version and I loved it. I briefly saw the PC version being played and I saw that it was a bit better. I always had a fully tooled up pistol by the end of the game, ammo was plentiful if you always killed guards with headshots. But I also always wanted to play through without killing anyone, like I did in MGS2.
    I also bought the Xbox version of the sequel for about 5 Euro, but I can't play it until MS add it to the backwards compatible list...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Chumpski wrote:
    i saw deus ex invisible war for 7 euro at the weekend and bought it. I wasn't sure if it was the first or second game at the time but now i know its deus ex 2, sh&t!

Is the 2nd game any good?

Its grand as long as you forget everything about the first one. Its more of a successor in name rather than a spiritual successor. Some elements are better in it (more choices, better graphics etc.) but there are alot of faults too (worse combat, story, no skill system and a horrible ammo system) There's no real problem playing the second one before the first as far as i remember, it won't ruin much on you but i'd need some clarification on that.

Its certainly worth playing for 7 quid as its still a damn lot better than most games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Hmmm, a vial of xime.

I thought DeusEx would change everything... but now it's like it never happened. :(

Yes, give us more WW2 shooters, that's a really new and interesting genre :rolleyes:

Yeah its a real pity that the fps genre didn't get a proper kick up the arse from deus ex, not too sure how well it sold (though it seems pretty popular here:D). The genre really needs new ideas or to implement more player interaction into the games. I swear i'll shoot someone if another WW2 shooter comes out (unless you get to play as someone other than an American cause that'd be original:p)

Anyways Stalker is kinda similar if you've played that and Bioshock'll be out later this year which looks bleedin' excellent. Can't think of any other similar game, i've never actually played Thief though i've always wanted to.

Still though its a pity ion storm Austin went down, whats Spector up to these days does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I have Deus Ex and Deus Ex2 (on CD/DVD), can I get them onto my steam account somehow?

Why ever would you want to do that? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Have this for PS2 someplace (my comp wasn't up to the job when it the game came out) and even though I had to play it with a controller I enjoye it immensely. Played through it about 3 times I think. The varying endings was a great idea dn the skill mod nanobots made it a step above anything else about at the time.
    Never tried the sequel; heard bad things about it so didn't bother.
    Be nice to see this series reawakened for the latest engines and GPUs...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It was a compelling story, but on the whole, it was really all about the gameplay, how you advanced, moulded your character, how you played it, the convincing game world, atmosphere, and all those fantastic elements that gelled together to make a superbly rich playing experience. The story, however good, didn't make or break the game.

I would consider the convincing game world and atmosphere to be large parts of the story tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

One of my absolute favourite things to do is throw a gas grenade into a crowd of baddies (Like when Hell's Kitchen in under martial law, and you get a huge amount of troops after you) and then just stand there casually shooting them all in the head as they cough and gag, helplessly.
    Sometimes they are actually smart enough to not run headlong into the gas. I actually use that to my advantage. If i'm in a slightly different area to a group of enemies (say a floor above) i'll attract their attention, then chuck a gas grenade onto the stairs. They all end up in a group at the bottom of the stairs waiting for the gas to dissipate. Once it does, they come charging up all together, only for every single one of them to be blown to pieces by a LAM i've hidden at the top. Fun times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

Having played deus ex on the pc, i bought dx2 for xbox for €4.99 then i found out its unsupported on the x360. probably better off...

gonna start dx1 again instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Its the best non champo PC game ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Oh, just thought I'd say I played the PS2 version through without killing non-essential bar the woman droid in the subway station

Why ever would you want to do that? :confused:

So I don't need to put a cd in to play it :)

astrofool wrote:
    So I don't need to put a cd in to play it :)
    Hmm, nope, I won't even go there.

I'd almost rather put in the CD than have Steam lock it away from me... I'm still sore at them for the month I spent without broadband, when they wouldn't let me start in offline mode and insisted on updating steam over 56k :(
    Feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

OMG I think I had a nerdgasm:
    1179273265_8068.jpg
    An email from Harley Quinn? Haha, sweet.

Hmm, nope, I won't even go there.

I'd almost rather put in the CD than have Steam lock it away from me... I'm still sore at them for the month I spent without broadband, when they wouldn't let me start in offline mode and insisted on updating steam over 56k :(
    Feckers.

Never had any steam problems (and used it since the very first beta online), + having to get the cd and put it in means less chance of an impulse play. Also means I don't have to reinstall after a reformat.

Anyway, question not answered, is it possible to get Deus Ex registered with Steam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

JCDenton wrote:
    Another Deus Ex game would be fantastic but only if it managed to approach the quality of the first game. If it was anything like the second one then it'd be a waste of everyone's time.
    From the article:
    It is unlikely that Warren Spector, series creator and project director on Deus Ex, or Harvey Smith, lead designer on Deus Ex and project director on its sequel Deus Ex: Invisible War, will be involved with the project in any capacity.
    If Warren Spector's not involved, I don't hold out much hope for it but it would be nice to be wrong in this case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

astrofool wrote:
    Never had any steam problems (and used it since the very first beta online), + having to get the cd and put it in means less chance of an impulse play. Also means I don't have to reinstall after a reformat.

Anyway, question not answered, is it possible to get Deus Ex registered with Steam?

You could always just get a crack for Deus Ex, and wouldn't have to bother at all with Steam and all that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I will reinstall as soon as http://www.offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/index.php is released.

you can try out release 1 out http://www.hdtp.net/releases/HDTP-Release1.exe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Did anyone notice the stupid ads in deus ex 1 for alcohol and cigrattes saying more is less:p :p and please tell me I wasn't the only who killed drug dealers and then took their drugs(in game of course:D )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Drugs go in your number 1 slot, beer in 2.
    And look for the baddies with the tranquilizer darts, "Hit me!" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I re-played System Shock 2 there last year with some texture pack or something, and it looked amazing, really high res, character models looked the same but no bother. Is there anything like this for Deus Ex?

Im definitely gonna replay Deus Ex when i sort my computer out, ooh i cant wait. Arcanum too. Why are the old games so fricken good :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Spunge wrote:
    I re-played System Shock 2 there last year with some texture pack or something, and it looked amazing, really high res, character models looked the same but no bother. Is there anything like this for Deus Ex?:cool:

^^^^four posts up^^^^

Advertisement