Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclockers.co.uk

Options
  • 10-05-2007 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

I posted this on the computer/tech forum and they advised me to post it here because they felt that my friend should not try and repair the pc and should take it up with overclockers. This is the original thread and my first reply. Any advice appreciated.
    Tusky wrote:
    Im posting this here on behalf of a friend. You may remember a thread here about 6 weeks ago about a 3.5k pc bought from overclockers.co.uk. Basically the power supply blew and smoke came out of the pc within a week of receiving it. After many phone calls and emails with overclockers they told my friend to post it back to them..they said that it was too expensive to use a courier. When asked would they cover any damage that happened in transit they said they would.

Well after 6 weeks he has received the pc...and its battered. One half of the case is plastic so you can see inside and its completely shattered. The case is bent and battered all over. The fans and grating at the front are all out of place and the top of the case is really loose. Its obviously been thrown around in the post.

At first when he turned it on it started up for about 5 seconds and then turned off again. Now, it has started to turn on properly but displays a black screen with - Verifying DMI.Pool Data - Boot from CD : Disc boot failure insert system disc and press enter"

question 1: I take It I need to download windows(he has a valid cd key) and put it on a disc to get past this ?

Secondly, the USB ports seem to be acting up. The keyboard he has glows when its plugged in via USB. At the moment it only glows when its plugged in half way and pressing the keys doesn't seem to do anything...its unresponsive. We have tried it in each USB port with the same result and have also tried a couple of different keyboards.

He has decided hes not going to send it back to overclockers because they are too difficult to deal with and it will take another 6 weeks to get the pc back. What should he do ? Download windows and try install it ? Can yea recommend anywhere to fix it if he cant... ? I understand how the pc could have been physically damaged during transit but how has it managed to wreck windows as well ?

All help much appreciated.
    HavoK wrote:
    What are you doing even entertaining this idea of getting it running again in its condition? If I received an item in that conditition, after the supplier has insisted on using the postal system, I'd be looking to speak to a manager, and for his name. Madness....as if you (rather, he) hadn't spent enough money with them.
    Tusky wrote:
    Yeah, I agree with you. Although I can see his point of view also. He just wants/needs to use his pc and cant really afford any more downtime. Also, it literally took about 15 phonecalls and and 10 emails to send the pc back in the first place. They will not let you speak to a manager, he had the same problem first time round.

They told him to get a quote for a courier, he got a quote and sent them an email with the price for bringing it to them and back. They sent back this in an email.

"thats too much"

They didnt on elaborate on how much they would cover or give any other advise. When he emailed again to find out how much they would actually cover they sent back another email saying.

"sorry, thats too expensive"

V.frustrating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Ring them up. Tell them what happened. Give them 10 days to remedy the situation (document), than sue them in the small claims court if not fixed.

This time demand a courier. I think yolu didn't get one last time because they didn't want to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

than sue them in the small claims court if not fixed.
    Overlclockers are based and registered in the UK. The SCC route wouldn't work.

Overlclockers are based and registered in the UK. The SCC route wouldn't work.

Are you sure? Darn, sorry. I thought that if a company was based or had branches in the EU the small claims court would work.

Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Doesn't matter about the SCC. Tusky I hope you're going to pursue this with them?

eo980 wrote:
    Doesn't matter about the SCC. Tusky I hope you're going to pursue this with them?

Yeah don't let those crooks bend you over like this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

My friend rang on Thursday and got nowhere...again. They basically told him to take it up with the courier. The guy on the phone confirmed that there was a manager/supervisor there but he wouldn't speak to my friend. He said that they dont deal with returns/complaints over the phone!

He told my friend to send a letter in. He asked him if he put his number on the letter, would a manager or someone who can help him call him back. The guy said 'Dont know, maybe'. I have never seen such bad customer service in my life.

Any ideas ? Friend doesnt really know what to do and at thsi stage he just wants a refund or for them to come and fix the pc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Im pretty good with getting answers from companies like these. Im bogged down with Uni exams at the mo, but as soon as there out of the way (in the next two weeks) I can look into it and see if I can get answers if you got nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 longtimer

Just to give an update on what's happened now regarding the PC. Last friday I sent Overclockers an email saying at this point I want a refund as it's been far more trouble than it's worth. Which they replied with:

"I'm afraid we do not refund faulty full systems. I understand your frustration but we cannot arrange a collection for this item and cannot authorise a refund.

Please advise how you would like to proceed.

Regards,

Ryan Smith"

So now they're telling me they can't give me a refund because it's a faulty product? why else would some one want a refund if not because the item they bought was faulty?

I'm at a loss on what to do now. Surely I'm fully entitled to a refund?

If anyone can shed some light It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

longtimer wrote:
    Just to give an update on what's happened now regarding the PC. Last friday I sent Overclockers an email saying at this point I want a refund as it's been far more trouble than it's worth. Which they replied with:

"I'm afraid we do not refund faulty full systems. I understand your frustration but we cannot arrange a collection for this item and cannot authorise a refund.

Please advise how you would like to proceed.

Regards,

Ryan Smith"

So now they're telling me they can't give me a refund because it's a faulty product? why else would some one want a refund if not because the item they bought was faulty?

I'm at a loss on what to do now. Surely I'm fully entitled to a refund?

If anyone can shed some light It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You are fully entitled to a refund! Do not back down! Check out the European consumer laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 longtimer

Will do. thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

How did this work out in the end?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Transnational problems like these should be reported to the European Consumer Centre in Dublin after the culprit refuses to provide the goods in working order.

http://www.eccdublin.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Transnational problems like these should be reported to the European Consumer Centre in Dublin after the culprit refuses to provide the goods in working order.

http://www.eccdublin.ie/

Seconded...Very useful folks. Ibood suddenly became very helpful once I got them involved.

Advertisement