Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Graffiti

Options
  • 10-05-2007 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

On my way into work, I noticed a number of posters of Bertie with the words 'Ur so Fired !' scrawled over his face. Obviously done by someone who is fond of texting, but amusing none the less, primarily because it is true.

Another one I seen in the blanchardstown area was the word 'WHO !' wrote across the face of Gerry Lynam, the Fianna Fail candidate. It's funny because, I've heard of, and received stupid leaflets at one time or another from almost every other candidate in the area, but never heard a peep from this guy until the election comes up. Again, good call, and funny because it is so true.

Other than the Hitler moustache and comedy glasses, has anyone seen any other funny (well mildly amusing anyway) Election graffiti ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A couple of weeks ago, before the election was called. A billboard of Bertie with day-glo dollar signs spray painted on his eyes. There was other grafitti on it, but I was on a bus and missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I have no time for Gerrry Lynam what so ever he was a family intrest candidate
    for the county council for a few years until such seats became more politcal.
    Got to love the rubbish about him and the olde youth club considering he is banned from all foroige clubs.

He is in the election to act as a sweeper for lower preference votes which will then be transfered to the other candidate in hope to keeping his seat.
    Not much hope of that considering the school situations out here and the lack for play grounds up until a year ago.
    Minster for children my eye.

It would give me much delight to see not a single FF seat in this consituancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

All of Berties posters on the south end of the Malahide road have been 'decorated', mostly with Hitler moustaches, yellow hair and Nazi symbols but my favourite was a photo of him with the words: Coming soon to a Tribunal near you' written below. Great stuff :)

So can we conclude that all the vandals and graffiti artists like the opposition? Wonder which party's followers has the least respect for property? In fairness to FG, I would be surprised if it comes from their ranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

One of Bertie's posters out near Mulhuddart has a very well drawn clown's hat, nose and mouth on it. Actually improves the poster somewhat. I did hear about some FFer or FGer poster down in the south with the words 'Nice to see you again, it's been a while' scrawled on it. Same could be written on a number of the candidates' posters up here. Haven't heard anything out of most of the councillors since the last local elections, and as for Brian Lenihan... well enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Thaedydal wrote:
    I have no time for Gerrry Lynam what so ever he was a family intrest candidate
    for the county council for a few years until such seats became more politcal.
    Got to love the rubbish about him and the olde youth club considering he is banned from all foroige clubs.

He is in the election to act as a sweeper for lower preference votes which will then be transfered to the other candidate in hope to keeping his seat.
    Not much hope of that considering the school situations out here and the lack for play grounds up until a year ago.
    Minster for children my eye.

It would give me much delight to see not a single FF seat in this consituancy.

Didn't he make his name on the anti-drug ticket years ago? I was surprised to see him stand for FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Nope he was a specail intrest county cllr for family intrests who own a lot of land in the area.
    He has never ran for the Dáil before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

There was a huge sign for Dick Roche at Windgates on Bray Head up to Monday anyway (probably gone now) where someone had painted over the "Roc" in white and then in the same typeface and colour added "ad" to the end instead. You'd need to look twice to see it had been tampered with. Quite well done really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

So can we conclude that all the vandals and graffiti artists like the opposition? Wonder which party's followers has the least respect for property? In fairness to FG, I would be surprised if it comes from their ranks.

This is real MacDowell speak!

Who gives a highlanders anyway?

What I find annoying is all those posters blown down. Maybe some of the party faithful could gather them up.

Heinrich wrote:
    This is real MacDowell speak!

Who gives a highlanders anyway?

About respect for private property?

I appreciate it may happen in urban constituencies. If it happened around here the offender would get a nice good kick up the hole. Defacing posters, pulling down posters, putting posters in front of each other, while hardly crime of the century, says more about the people who would do so than the targets of their ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RalphCifaretto

Heinrich wrote:
    What I find annoying is all those posters blown down. Maybe some of the party faithful could gather them up.

I find the posters annoying.

I appreciate it may happen in urban constituencies. If it happened around here the offender would get a nice good kick up the hole. Defacing posters, pulling down posters, putting posters in front of each other, while hardly crime of the century, says more about the people who would do so than the targets of their ignorance.

Hopefully your particular party will remove their election posters, private property or simply litter when the circus is over. Not forgetting the plastic cable ties while they are at it.

As for the kick in the hole comment; you must live in a very nice area indeed. Who does the hole kicking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Private poverty they stick up all over the place so you can't escape their big stupid grinning faces. When you put your face all over town you should expect a bit of tampering, more often than not its only a bit of fun and its not something to be losing the plot about. I've a Dana mask at home I made from one of her posters, a source of endless gags. :D

^^^
    you travelled far enough for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

My buddy was on holiday up in Donegal he brought back a small herd of them, Jim McDaid ended up being superimposed over a Jack Daniels poster. Some laugh.

:D not much difference between McDaid and Jack Daniels... they both smell the same anyway!

Heinrich wrote:
    you must live in a very nice area indeed

Thank you.

It is indeed a constituency where graffiti is rare, and not usually applauded. I would imagine it happens in some of Killarney's rougher estates.

The hole kicking would be done by members of any party here who caught someone defacing the posters of any other party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Thank you.

It is indeed a constituency where graffiti is rare, and not usually applauded. I would imagine it happens in some of Killarney's rougher estates.

The hole kicking would be done by members of any party here who caught someone defacing the posters of any other party.

I see, so violence is a lesser crime than defacing a poster left out in public where you come from...

I bet the party that you represent are delighted that you can convey their sense of social harmony so well....

Money Shot wrote:
    I see, so violence is a lesser crime than defacing a poster left out in public where you come from...

If you would rather we made complaints to the Gardai and had them prosecuted and then held their hands and rehabilitated them and told them vandalism has no place in society and costs people money and reflects badly on the local community, then that's fine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

If you would rather we made complaints to the Gardai and had them prosecuted and then held their hands and rehabilitated them and told them vandalism has no place in society and costs people money and reflects badly on the local community, then that's fine too.
    Id rather you stopped talking rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

So ... you take your complaints to Martin Ferris then? (Sorry couldn't resist)

CiaranC wrote:

Spot on - I don't think his brand of Michael Winneresque politics is going to catch on to much.

I would be interested to know what Party he supports though ?

Money Shot wrote:
    Spot on - I don't think his brand of Michael Winneresque politics is going to catch on to much.

I would be interested to know what Party he supports though ?

Ask him nicely and you should get a suitable (predictable) response.:D

CiaranC wrote:

Yes indeed.

On topic and polite.

I think I'll tiptoe away from this thread now, and leave ye get on with admiring the vandalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

397045938a4321670323b185752943l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Thank you.

Personally I prefer a bit of satirical graffiti to vigilantism any day of the week.

Saw a Fine Gael poster which had been folded in half on Merrion Square. It read "2000 more Gardai on..."

I am hoping when I pass by it this evening someone has finished the sentence. "On crack" or "On the Dole" were the first 2 things that popped into my head!

Bond-007 wrote:
    397045938a4321670323b185752943l.jpg

That is very well done - If he has a sense of humor about it, he could even earn himself some brownie points, and most importantly, votes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

In my area Thomas Byrnes big 8x4 posters where burned, and Berties ears cut out and written ''Deaf Soldier'' underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Victor wrote:
    A couple of weeks ago, before the election was called. A billboard of Bertie with day-glo dollar signs spray painted on his eyes. There was other grafitti on it, but I was on a bus and missed it.
    How very prescient:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

There's another party who believe in this sort of summary justice - i wonder would FF consider going into coalition with them??

Advertisement