Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping a dogs weight right?

Options
  • 10-05-2007 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Was at the vets yesterday with little Zac and was talking to this lady who had a problem with her boxer. It had some skin problem that the vet could not find a cause for.

But she said the dog had at one point been two stone overweight. It got me thinking how to watch dogs weight. The main thing to know (which I don't) is if your dog is currently overweight. I notice my male dobie seems to be getting a bit flabby even though he eats less than the female who remains fairly thin.

I was warned to watch their weight after both had be neutered as their metabolism slows down. Is there any table that you can use to measure your dogs weight like you can for humans.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

A dog trainer I once met told me, about our Golden Retriever, you should be able to see the dog's waist and feel it's ribs. If either of those are not possible the dog is carrying too much weight.

A healthy dog, exercising well and eating properly, will have a healthy coat and a well-toned appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Have you considered buying a book about Dobermanns? There are also plenty of websites about them if you search on google e.g.
    my-doberman.com. A lot of your questions are quite basic and you would save yourself a lot of worrying if you bought a good book. Petstop have books about specific breeds but don't ask the staff there anything cos they haven't a clue. Alternatively Amazon.co.uk have a load of Dobermann books.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/202-0281586-0768612?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dobermann

According to Google the weight of a male Dobermann should be 65-90 pounds. It is normal for the male to be bigger than the female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Good morning Nala. :rolleyes:

Yes I am well aware of books websites etc. The reason I ask these questions is to ask people in real life so to speak. Not everything is so black and white as those publications make out them to be so I want to know about peoples own actual experiences rather than what is says in a textbook. But of course I also take note of what they say. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Good morning Nala

What is wrong in asking for information in this forum? Surely that is what a forum is for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Golferx wrote:
    A dog trainer I once met told me, about our Golden Retriever, you should be able to see the dog's waist and feel it's ribs. If either of those are not possible the dog is carrying too much weight.

A healthy dog, exercising well and eating properly, will have a healthy coat and a well-toned appearance.

This is what I've been told also on many occassions. You should be able to see a waist (not see the ribs) but be able to feel the ribs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

Alfasudcrazy, you have actually asked a really good question. I would totally agree with golden's reply, this is exactly the place to ask these questions as books are not always the best place for real life information. I was only talking to my vet about this the other day as my dog(German Shepard) has lost weight due to me changing his food. I asked her about the weight charts and the fact that according to the chart my dog should be 32Kg. She told me not to bother with charts that they are a guideline ONLY, and that once you cannot feel the contour of the each rib through the skin the dog is the right weight. If your dog is overweight try cutting back on the food, only a small amount for a few weeks and see how he gets on, try a little more excercise even if its just throwing a ball in the garden and plently of fresh water. Don't get me wrong books are fine for black/white issues but there are also grey areas that books don't tell you. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

golden wrote:
    Good morning Nala

What is wrong in asking for information in this forum? Surely that is what a forum is for?

Did I say there was anything wrong with asking for information in this forum?

As it happens this user asks questions about dog care at least twice a week (at least 20 or 30 so far I'd say), hence giving the impression he might not know a lot about dog care. Which is why I suggested reading a book about dog care. Now where have I gone wrong here exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Books are so black and white like hootie mentioned there is also grey areas too.

I know the OP posts quite often (which is irrelevant) but the OP wants information so uses this forum to find information or how people deal with matters. At the end of the day that is what this forum is all about communicating.

Back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Dogs will stay fit and healthy just the same way we do. Don't over feed them and if they are putting on weight just more exercise. And you can't go by a table, if the dog looks overweight it more than likley is. And you are right it is all a gray area, each dog is different just like us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Why oh why do thread CONSTANTLY seem to end up with nasty comments in them???

Getting very sick & tired of it! If it continues or I see one other thread this week with unnecessary comments I will ban members!

As I stated yesterday I do not care if a member has a problem or query like the OP in starting 50 thread a week - we can all learn something! If you can not answer the OPs questions politely - SHUT UP & stop posting! Simple! Count to 10 before you start to type!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Hootie wrote:
    Alfasudcrazy, you have actually asked a really good question. I would totally agree with golden's reply, this is exactly the place to ask these questions as books are not always the best place for real life information. I was only talking to my vet about this the other day as my dog(German Shepard) has lost weight due to me changing his food. I asked her about the weight charts and the fact that according to the chart my dog should be 32Kg. She told me not to bother with charts that they are a guideline ONLY, and that once you cannot feel the contour of the each rib through the skin the dog is the right weight. If your dog is overweight try cutting back on the food, only a small amount for a few weeks and see how he gets on, try a little more excercise even if its just throwing a ball in the garden and plently of fresh water. Don't get me wrong books are fine for black/white issues but there are also grey areas that books don't tell you. Hope this helps.

Spot on! I have a GSD who's about 35kg's but he's very muscular compared to other GSD's who would be "taller".

As you said - so long as the ribs are not poking out...

Advertisement