Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[PR] Platform 11 Election Demands

• 10-05-2007 9:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.platform11.org/news/news.php?year=2007&no=9.html
    Platform 11 launches its election demands
    May 2nd 2007

Platform 11, the National Rail Users Organisation, has devised a list of issues that need to be addressed in relation to the provision of rail transport in Ireland. As we approach the General Election, our comprehensive list is designed to promote a broad spectrum of ideas, that run from major infrastructural and planning projects to more customer focused plans that include excellent service and security provision on our rail network. All of the ideas we are promoting are in the interests of Ireland’s rail users. They are important and easily achievable goals that will ultimately lead to benefits for Ireland's rail users and potential rail users.

We have highlighted 14 issues

Creation of a Dedicated Transport Police
    Accessibility Legislation
    Political Appointees
    Accountability
    Passengers as board members of CIE & RPA
    Dublin Transport Authority
    Where does the profit on sale of former rail land go?
    Customer Charter
    Public Transport Users Ombudsman
    Infrastructural Investment
    Tax Incentives on Annual Tickets
    Station Car Parking
    Railway Byelaws
    Safety & Overcrowding

The full document detailing each of our 14 demands is available here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Where does P11 stand on the present Government's failure to implenment a Dublin transport and land-use authority? Should this have been included in the above press release or is it not considered an issue that needs to be addressed by the next Government?

The current intentions with the new DTA backtracks on what was promised in the Programme For Government of the current FF-PD coalition in that it has no authority over land-use in the in the GDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭gjim

It might sound like pendantry but while scanning the document I noticed some gramatical and punctuation errors. The most glaring (to me) is mixing up "there" and "their". If this document is to be circulated widely you should have it properly proof read. To be honest, I've noticed similar mistakes in a couple of P11 documents and releases in the past. The message is good but the presentation needs a bit of polish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

breeched is wrong too (breached)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Like many documents these days, Bill Gates can be blamed for spelling errors.

This should not take away from the P11 document which is brilliant.
    I'd much prefer a well though out, real-world document than the polished garbage being published by the various political parties.

Personally I'd like to see a little bit more infrastructural demands (well at least demands on the quality of the infrastructure going forward...... such as proper integration, etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

There's still time to do more to make transport an election issue. Perhaps something high profile to highlight overcrowding on trains could work also. All you need are a few people to dress up as panto-like cows to travel back and forth on IE trains during rush hour and make sure there's a few press photographers around to snap it and the next thing those pictures will be plastered all over the freesheets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

I'm surprised not to see integrated ticketing on that list - even though the focus is national, it's a really pressing issue in Dublin and one which, if solved, could act as a catalyst of a major reform of the bus routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

This particular version was rushed online due to a piece P11 did on the Last Word at late notice. We are aware of the mistakes and they will be corrected in due course. The document sent to politicians was fully checked and contained no such errors.

Our mistake was small compared to a Government party, as many FF posters throughout Ireland say the following; "Berties's Team". Now thats a gaff!

mackerski wrote:
    I'm surprised not to see integrated ticketing on that list - even though the focus is national, it's a really pressing issue in Dublin and one which, if solved, could act as a catalyst of a major reform of the bus routes.

While not specifically mentioned, its accepted that a Dublin Transport Authority will be responsible. So our demand in that regard, covers it. Its a hugely important issue and if a DTA is delivered then it should take centre stage.

gjim wrote:
    It might sound like pendantry but while scanning the document I noticed some gramatical and punctuation errors. The most glaring (to me) is mixing up "there" and "their". If this document is to be circulated widely you should have it properly proof read. To be honest, I've noticed similar mistakes in a couple of P11 documents and releases in the past. The message is good but the presentation needs a bit of polish.

Our material is not always done by the same person and is usually issued in a hurry, such is the shortage of time to make it relevent. You are indeed right and its something we continue to keep an eye on. Thanks for pointing it out.

Slice wrote:
    Where does P11 stand on the present Government's failure to implenment a Dublin transport and land-use authority? Should this have been included in the above press release or is it not considered an issue that needs to be addressed by the next Government?

The current intentions with the new DTA backtracks on what was promised in the Programme For Government of the current FF-PD coalition in that it has no authority over land-use in the in the GDA.

P11 has already made submissions to the DOT in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

DerekP11 wrote:
    "Berties's Team". Now thats a gaff!

No, that's a gaffe.

mackerski wrote:
    No, that's a gaffe.

My jokes are just not hitting the spot lately.:rolleyes: Think "Bertiespeak" and the content of this thread re. spelling mistakes.

"re" is short for "regarding".:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

D'Peoples Voice - on topic please

Advertisement