Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get me some sawdust?

Options
  • 10-05-2007 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

My compost is stinking of ammonia... I need to find some easy-too-break-down high carbon materials. I think sawdust would be a good option, but does anyone know where I could get some... untreated?

Or any other high carbon suggestions welcome!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You can usually buy wood shavings in animal feed places. Try the garage at the Scalp on the way to Enniskerry, if you're in Dublin.

You might also try torn-up newspapers. Now that ink is no longer full of lead, but is instead soy-based, they're a great composting material.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Try any local woodworking workshop .. they'll have more sawdust and woodshavings than they know what to do with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Personally I'd steer clear of wood shops - modern wood is chock-a-block with dangerous chemicals - lung cancer is the end-of-life of choice for woodworkers today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Saw dust is not a good option imo.

What I've done for 5 years is....well, you get yourself two election posters, hmmm, where would you do that. Anyway,be resourceful.

So you lay two election posters side by side,overlapping a couple of inches, the first one just under the compost bin.

Take off the compost bin like you're making a sand castle. Push or drag the contents over the election posters. Mix well. Put back empty compost bin. Shovel compost back into bin.

Put election posters back up, they talk muck anyway!

good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ask in the woodworking forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 AliKat

That's great lads thanksamil... I didn't realise newspaper ink was so safe... I'll rip up some old papers and check out that animal feed place for sure.

Thanks again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

If you run into the Council guys (or contractors) trimming tree's and shreading the branches, get a sack full of the material from them and throw a few handfulls into your compost bin every now and then ....

Any leaves lying around your garden also make good material to add to your composter ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

Your local butcher might let you have some, they get it from the sawmills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

he was on the latelate on Friday talking or should I say, recycling rubbish.
    he helped me out,below.

"http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/3762/compost2ra7.jpg" alt="Image Hosted by ImageShack.us" />

then mix it up
    <"http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/3702/compost5av4.jpg&quot; alt="Image Hosted by ImageShack.us" />

and throw it back in again to mature some more.

Advertisement