Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

05 Golf, dodgy drivers side door

Options
  • 10-05-2007 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

just bought a 05 Golf, nice car etc but i noticed the inside panel of the drivers door is sort of hanging off because the latch holding it to the door has broken on the inside, im worried this car might have been smashed into on the drivers side. I also notice some of the plastic trim on the door isnt fitting right either and its just on the drivers side. I dont remeber asking the dealer was it crashed before, im sure i would have tho, but in case i didnt, is he legally obliged to tell me? help appreciated guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Is there an alarm fitted or some other accessory that may have required the door panel to be removed? It could also be as a result of some warranty work to the window mechanism or door lock which would not be uncommon on a VW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Seb-K

No alarm fitted and im not sure that a 05 would need work done on the window, if it did need work then it has to be the worst job ever!

Seb-K wrote:
    No alarm fitted and im not sure that a 05 would need work done on the window, if it did need work then it has to be the worst job ever!

You'd be surprised. Problems in the doors (window mechs, door locks, control units, etc,) are common enough items to fail on VWs. It may have been that the mechanic did not put back the panel correctly or may have broken a retaining clip, but tbh he should have spotted it. It's not common, but it does happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If you slam the door on a Golf with the window half open you'll break the window regulator, I've fixed loads of them, VW's are absolute ****e nowadays. If someone who didn't know how to take off the door panel properly they'd more than likely break it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Seb-K

Jayzuz junkyard thats not good to be hearing! your probably right crosstownk, and the retaining clip is broke... might just pop back to him with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

junkyard wrote:
    VW's are absolute ****e nowadays.
    What a stupid remark.

Bluetonic wrote:
    What a stupid remark.
    Do you think so? You obviously know nothing about them if your making such an ill informed comment. I work on them for a living, do you?

junkyard wrote:
    Do you think so?
    I do.

Your statement is quite silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Bluetonic wrote:
    I do.

Stop being a child.

drdre wrote:
    Stop being a child.
    I'm not being a child. I'm just trying to reply as simplistic as possible to the poster, after all when someone has come out and said something like "VW's are absolute ****e nowadays" the basis of the thread has already been set so.

Blanket remarks like that are extremely ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

guys,

VW quality is not what it was, my passatt (06, from new) had a door panel loose from delivery, it's a workmanship issue in the factory most likely.... and an 05 golf was likely to be bought through a dealer and they ARE obliged to tell you if it's been in a crash .

Bluetonic wrote:
    I'm not being a child. I'm just trying to reply as simplistic as possible to the poster, after all when someone has come out and said something like "VW's are absolute ****e nowadays" the basis of the thread has already been set so.

Blanket remarks like that are extremely ignorant.
    I replied to this thread to explain to the OP what the problem was or how it came about. I have my own garage and work on cars first hand so does crosstownk and a few more here on boards.ie, if we couldn't care less we wouldn't bother offering any advise or help to anyone. I stand by my original statement about VW and plenty other makes too. I'm pretty sure if you really worked on cars for a living you'd be very familiar with this particular problem. If you really cared you could offer assistance rather than smart @rsed comments.

I'm a big VW fan - I like the look and the drive with most models. But I will say that VW reliablity is nothing like it used to be. Every second VW Passat TDI (current model) has the fuel pump pack in - leaving you stranded at the roadside. Quite a few also suffer from turbo failure. Anyone remember the epidemic with the door locks a few years back in Golf/Bora/Passat? What about air flow meters in lots of VWs, or the tensioner failure in the 1,8T 20V engines. Then there's also the famous vacuum pump problems in the Transporter/Caravelle models. I've fitted an uncountable amount of catalytic convertors to most variants of VW. Handbrake motors on the 3C Passat. Brake light switches that have brake lights come on at 2am while you are asleep in bed. Temperature sensors, plug leads, gearbox selector mechanisms bursting out through the gearbox casing, boot lock servo motors, fuel filler flap servos, throttle bodies continually gumming up, radios turning themselves off for no apparent reason, piston slap (thousands to repair), window mechanisms, squeaking rear shoes (Polo), weak glove box locks that break regularly, water ingress, sunroof mechanisms, dash rattles, ABS sensors, etc, etc.

None of the faults above are isolated events. I've see them all regularly albeit I've more experience with Passats than other models. I worked in a VW dealer for more than 6 years and the amount of warranty work that went through the workshop was unbelievable. Half the scheduled jobs on any given day were warranty - and that's before the tow trucks started pulling up outside! This is a big contributor to the fact that most VW dealers in Dublin are booked out for the next six weeks.

But as I said, I'm a VW fan - I actually like the design - I have a 2000 VW Bora and it's a grand yoke - shame I had to have the pistons replaced earlier this year after 40k miles at serious cost. Would I buy another one - surprisingly, yes, I'd seriously consider one. But then I'm a glutton for punishment!!!

Advertisement