Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the inner workings of a network transfer

Options
  • 10-05-2007 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Just an example lets say I want to transfer files from \\pri-fileserver\data\stuff
    to \\pri-fileserver\data\stuffbackup.

Ive just done this with a terminal services session rather than directly from my workstation. What would happen if I did initiate from my workstation, do all the packets have to come onto the network, pass through my NIC and go back to the same server?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Depends on how your lan is configured. If u are using a hub then ALL nics with see the data but only those pc's with the matching source/destination within the packet/frame will process them. If u are using a switch then the data will be seen only on the nics of the originating and target pc's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

You didn't really answer his question at all there degsie :)
    What would happen if I did initiate from my workstation, do all the packets have to come onto the network, pass through my NIC and go back to the same server

Yes. Windows isn't smart enough to figure out that the two shares are on the same file-server... so effectively it will copy locally then copy remotely. So for large copies its always best to use a terminal session and complete the file transfers on the server itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Kali wrote:

Yes. Windows isn't smart enough to figure out that the two shares are on the same file-server... so effectively it will copy locally then copy remotely. So for large copies its always best to use a terminal session and complete the file transfers on the server itself.

Great. Thats all I needed to know. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Kali wrote:

Yeah, I see that now. Shoulda have read the question really :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Kali wrote:

You won't believe how this interests me, I really am that sad. I off to sniff it now, but if I had to guess, I would almost certainly say the name resolution would be resolved first and then won't pass any traffic onto the wire, instead shipping it locally.

But we'll soon find out!

EDIT: I read it worng too. Do you mean you are on PC1 and you UNC to \\pri-fileserver\data\stuff and copy back to \\pri-fileserver\data\stuffbackup? If so, then Kali is correct. Not sure what I was thinking of!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

azzeretti wrote:
    You won't believe how this interests me, I really am that sad. I off to sniff it now, but if I had to guess, I would almost certainly say the name resolution would be resolved first and then won't pass any traffic onto the wire, instead shipping it locally.

That can't really happen as (afaik) SMB is a client-server model... if you have two file servers and copy a file (using mapped drives/UNC paths) between the two of them it will still copy across the wire from the first server to the client and then upto the second server. Otherwise SMB (or an application-layer extension) would have to make a system call/RPC to the first server to initiate a file-copy/smb session directly to the second.

Now it's possible that Microsoft does actually do that with some implementations of Windows, but from my experience it doesn't and it's always server->client->server.

Advertisement