Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safely putting a deposit on an apartment abroad

Options
  • 10-05-2007 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

I'm going to Cambridge, MA for the summer and i've been looking up accommodation over there using craigslist.com.

Now, i've found something that i like (it's a little expensive, but it's well situated). The thing is the guy wants a months rent up front as a deposit. I don't particularly want to pay that amount of money up front without even entering the country, i don't want to lose $1000 to a scammer, although it doesn't look at all like a scam.

So, what are my options.

Are there any safe methods for putting a deposit that means if one of us backs out, the other isn't screwed over? Last thing i want is for me to pay my deposit, him to go off on a nice holiday and i never see the keys to the place :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

A toss up between where to do this, but Abroad is probably best seem as it's about moving abroad..Abroad wins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

A toss up between where to do this, but Abroad is probably best seem as it's about moving abroad..Abroad wins it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm in a similar situation myself. I can't really see any way of having much of a guarantee. Maybe attempt to get some form of receipt? How does he want the payment? It might be safe enough to do it through paypal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I've asked him if i could pay via paypal, but i don't see how it'd offer any protection/safety over a straight bank transfer. Sure i'll see how it goes anyway, we're trying to settle on a reasonable deposit ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We've been asked to pay be western union! That set off alarm bells for me. My friends agreed we're not paying by WU, but I doubt this guys authenticity now. We'll see how it goes too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Use an international banktransfer and make sure you put a comment on the transfer stating "deposit on apartment"

This will keep a permanent record of the transaction and if there is any problems you can go to your bank and get proof of the transaction.

Also make sure you get a reciept from him within a short period of the transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

I live in Cambridge beside Davis Square. I could maybe check it out for you when I get back later this week.

Advertisement